Reaction score
City, State
milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 exploer xlt
My father has a 2015 explorer and he hates the head lights
would like the beam wider and my be longer cant see road signs very well
any idea's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any idea's

Are they properly aligned? Maybe too low.

If you look on the lens in front of the projector light you will see a small (like 5mm diameter or less) circle etched into the headlight assembly. The distance to this from the ground is the official headlamp height. At 25' away the bottom step of the light pattern should be 2" shorter than the headlamp height. In other words the step has a 2" drop at 25'. If it is too low then it can have adverse effects on viability.

any idea's
Welcome to the Forum Craig.:wave:
There are many members that have replaced their halogens with HID although to do a proper conversion you are looking at spending some big money because the entire housing must be replaced. You can use the Forum's handy 'Search' feature in the upper right to find those threads. If you have HID lights already then possibly an adjustment is all that is required.
Please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That info can be very helpful in some cases. Thanks.

Peter

can change bulbs to H11, I think the number was or convert to HID. I would get 35watt 4300 color. 55watt bulbs would be over the top and probably glare on coming traffic if aimed wrong. I've honestly never had an issue with the headlights or the brightness with factory bulbs. Has the front end ever been in an accident or was it bought used? Is there any extra weight in the vehicle, this will also move the headlight alignment.

This is obvious but make sure the windshield isn't sandblasted or any film/residue is on the inside, bad or worn out wiper blades in the rain will also make it seem like the headlights aren't working properly.

get some Phillips 9011 HIR (made in Germany.)
These are almost like the stock 9005's, but they have a lot more lumens, which provide a wider beam of light. The 9011's need to be slightly modified (just a few clips of the tabs) the output is amazing and there is no difference in wattage (65) and heat output, so they are safe to use.
BUT make sure it's the Phillips HIR's. Not just any 9011 bulb.

Craig while Peter is correct in that to do it like the factory you need to spend a mint.. However. That said. I have a 2015 and I did HID replacement with Diode Dynamics and if done correctly you will achieve your goals as I had the same problem when I purchased mine.

By putting the bulb in correctly and using a good kit you will be fine. I have only been brighted once or 2x since doing it well over a year ago.
I was infact brighted more with the factory bulbs than after.. Given it is a shutter type assembly you can do it well with the diode dynamics kit. you do not need the relay kit either which makes is a simple and clean install.. PM me if you want pics or details of what I did.

Back