2015 Explorer Liftgate Rear Molding Trim removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Liftgate Rear Molding Trim removal

CorryBasler

Reaction score
City, State
Goose Creek, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
Hello everyone, Im new here I just bought a 2015 Explorer White Base model on Tuesday this week for what I think was a pretty awesome deal. Gave them my 32k Mile Base Model Mustang 3.7l plus $13,000 and they also tossed in 2 years of free oil changes.

Anyways, I would like to plasti-dip a few parts, Im very OCD about overspray lines, and Ive already done my rear tailgates chrome strip, the part that says "Explorer" It looks very good other than a few spots, that the painters tape wasn't close enough, so you can tell if you come up close.

I see their is a bolt on each side of the strip behind the door, can i just take those off and remove the whole strip so i can clean up the overspray or is it more difficult?

EDIT: Ive got it super lose, removed the 2 bolts on the very edge you can see before the plastic trim inside, and then the 4 bolts around the plate lights, but there still seems to be something holding it on around the middle of the area between the far edge and the plate light area. I didn't really want to have to take the rear interior pieces out (Mostly cause i don't know how and don't want to break my 4 day old car)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Post a pic when you're done! I have been wanting to do this but have been debating if it will look good or not! Thanks!

Post a pic when you're done! I have been wanting to do this but have been debating if it will look good or not! Thanks!

Looks 10x better if you take it off, its kinda a pain in the butt to remove the plate lights, but well worth the look. I Have it jacked up right now since i only have 1/4 wheels done, but ill post later today or tomorrow.

The chrome strip is also held in by clips. Once you remove the screws, it take a bit of force to release the chrome strip. Once the strip is removed it will be dangling by the license plate light/rear camera cord.

KGCJZXth.png

bSwbOFYh.png

4ZIdl8Fh.png

Back