2015 Explorer Limited towing 27', 4700lb TT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Limited towing 27', 4700lb TT

Canadian Explorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Hi, let me introduce myself. My name is Canadian Explorer. Canex if you prefer eh! I own a 2015 Explorer Limited. Just love it! I tow a 27 foot, 4700lb travel trailer. It does a great job. I have a factory installed tow package and dealer installed break control. I tow my TT ± 2175 miles/year. Being from southern Québec, my travels often take me into the Appalacian mountains. Some inclines I climb and descend are around 12-15%. Here are a couple of things I'd like to share about my Explorer's performance. The TT is 4700lb fully loaded. The Explorer can tow up to 5000lb with proper tow package and that should be able to offer 10% more than 5000lb if you're pushing it which I do not recommend. When hitched, though front and back of Explorer should be level, my rear is slightly lower, I admit. I always drive in electronic manual to control revs and help the truck work within its limits. On flat highway I'm at 2500 RPM, 5th speed (do not go into 6th, it will rev too low) and Rolling at 55-60 mph. It handels just great with an anti-sway. Of course, the Limited comes with 20'' wheels. Going up a steep hill (15%) I'm at 4500 RPM, 2nd speed and Rolling at about 25 mph but that is quite extreme and does not happen often. Let the truck work, don't push it. Since I have electric brakes on the TT, I never burnt either Explorer's brakes or the TT brakes on the same incline going downhill. Going downhill is the same. Start slow at the top. Gently pump brakes. Drive in lower gear to build up some compression and don't let it go higher than 4500 RPM. Average gas consumption when towing is 4.5 gallons/60 miles. Yes, it drinks but after all, I am towing. What's more, I have the vehicle inspected yearly at the dealer and absoltuely no signs of premature ware. Not even on the tires, suspension or brakes. So, let me know what you think and in the mean time, drive with your heads out there and be safe.

Back