2015 Explorer Sport catch-can and PTU fluid question | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Sport catch-can and PTU fluid question

tsx500

Reaction score
City, State
New York City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Hi, new forum member here...purchased a 2015 Sport Turbo model a few months ago...my cousin who used to have the same model told me that (from his own experience) it's very important to pay attention to the catch-can and the PTU fluid .... fyi I'm no mechanic, I let the dealer or qualified mechanic handle any service/repairs etc.... so can someone here give me more detail or info/advice on the catch-can and PTU fluid ? I'd really appreciate it, tia ! ( I'm not able to contact my cousin anymore unfortunately )

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
The PTU fluid is too little volume and gets turned I to a thick gel. This eventually ruins the PTU for an expensive repair. The catch can helps keep oily mess out of your intake.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Hi, new forum member here...purchased a 2015 Sport Turbo model a few months ago...my cousin who used to have the same model told me that (from his own experience) it's very important to pay attention to the catch-can and the PTU fluid .... fyi I'm no mechanic, I let the dealer or qualified mechanic handle any service/repairs etc.... so can someone here give me more detail or info/advice on the catch-can and PTU fluid ? I'd really appreciate it, tia ! ( I'm not able to contact my cousin anymore unfortunately )
Welcome to the Forum.
Found these using the 'Search' feature (upper right). There are several more threads.

Peter

mguy13sport

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
The number one concern is the waterpump. Find a qualified mechanic who knows the Ecoboost platform. Without having any mechanical skill, owning a twin turbo direct injected engine can be fun to deal with 😂