2015 Explorer Sport HVAC Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Sport HVAC Issue

BrianT1077

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello everyone, here is my issue. I cannot adjust the temperature for either heat or a/c on my front panel. The temperature display changes when I press forward or back but the temperature at the vents remains the same until I hit either Hi or Lo, then it adjusts to hot or cold but no in between. However I can still adjust the temperature settings for the rear seating area. Anyone ever have this issue? Thoughts? How can I fix it? Thank you everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Brian. I don't know if you really have an issue. As far as I know, the temperature of the air, hot or cold, remains the same. It just stays ON longer to heat or cool the cabin. The Hi and Lo settings just allow more or less air flow so it only appears to affect the air temperature from the vents.

Peter

Hi Brian. I don't know if you really have an issue. As far as I know, the temperature of the air, hot or cold, remains the same. It just stays ON longer to heat or cool the cabin. The Hi and Lo settings just allow more or less air flow so it only appears to affect the air temperature from the vents.

Peter

With the air temp set at 80, the air will be much more hot then the air coming out of the vents set at 70.

Yes the temperature remains the same unless it is on the LO setting, then it comes out cold until you go all the way back to HI. There are no in-between temperatures you can set, only HI or LO changes the temp.

I guess no one else has run into the same problem. Have you had the dealer or another garage look at it?

Peter

Hello Brian, I am having the EXACT same issue. Any updates on if you have resolved your issue? The fan speed works fine. The switch from defrost to vents to floor all work fine. Its just the temperature wont adjust for the settings. You have to turn the temperature all the way down to LO for the air AC to come on and you have to turn it all the way up to HI for the heat to come on. You can have it blowing hot air, turn the temperature down to 61 Degrees and it will STILL blow HOT. Same way with the Air. Have it blowing cold, turn the TEMP up to 79 degrees and it will still blow cold. Thanks for any suggestions on a fix.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

An HVAC system can cool air about 15 degrees colder than the air that in intakes. If you are allowing fresh air in, then you are not going to get very cold if its 100 degrees outside.

When you set the temp to "LO", "MAX" or push the button the closes the vent that allows outside air in "RECIRCULATE MODE" then the AC can get the air colder as its not sucking in outside fresh air, but recirculating the air in the cabin. As the recirculating air repeatedly passes over the AC coil, it gets colder and colder... this is how you can have inside air temp of 70 when its 100 outside.

I have a infrared thermometer, I'll take some temps in the car tomorrow and report back if the temp coming out the vent gets 'warmer' when I turn the thermostat up. I think when you turn the thermostat warmer with the AC on, the system diverts hot radiator coolant thru a hose in front of the AC blower, this causes the AC air coming out the vent to be warmer but the AC is still pumping out cold air behind it.

You guys definitely have something wrong with your HVAC. I measured the temps with the AC on and RECIRC off. The temp goes up and down as you adjust the digital thermostat, just as you would expect it to.

I agree, there is something wrong. And its my wifes car so if she's upset, than i will eventually be upset. :eek:
Im pretty mechanically inclined as far as general maintenance for her car but with all of the electronics, it makes it harder and harder for back yard mechanics to fix.

I agree, there is something wrong. And its my wifes car so if she's upset, than i will eventually be upset. :eek:
Im pretty mechanically inclined as far as general maintenance for her car but with all of the electronics, it makes it harder and harder for back yard mechanics to fix.

You can get the service manual, which makes it far easier - Ford Explorer 2011-2018 factory repair manual
Its comprehensive with decent diagrams too.

Back