2015 Explorer Sport moon-roof shade rattle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Sport moon-roof shade rattle.

aeromechmitch

Reaction score
City, State
Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Ok so we bought my wife a new 2015 Explorer Sport and it was a dealer demo. The manager of the dealership drove it for a month or s, it had about 3500 miles when we bought it. When we test drove it we noticed a noise coming from the moon-roof shade. Only made a tick noise when it was in motion. The tick noise is like something in the reel of the shade clicking as it turns. So the dealership that we purchased the SUV said they would make it right.

So they took it apart and tried to repair the original reel assy and ended up replacing the whole reel assy for the shade. This is what my wife was told by the service advisor "Ford asked us the try to repair the reel but we ended up just changing the reel as we could not fix the issue". So all is well with the world for a week and then the new reel starts to make the same noise!!!! Needless to say the wife is not happy.

So we are going to a different dealership that is closer to our house to get it repaired again. Just dropped it of this morning and i guess we will see if they can fix it correctly. Also having them fix a small leak from the drivers side CV shaft where it goes in to the front diff.

Sorry to be so long winded but was curious as to if anyone else has experienced the same problem with the clicking noise coming from the reel assy? When i asked both dealerships if they had heard of this issue before they both said no. And i could not find any info on the web about it being a common problem so hopefully they get it resolved. Just irritating that a $50K vehicle has issues so soon. Hope that this is not a sign of things to come.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same thing, total rattle trap

I have had my new 2015 Explorer XLT in twice for rattles in the dash and have now noticed the same rattle you mention. Also, they are going to replace the seat bracket because it makes a terribly annoying click every time I hit a bump.

I'm trying to negotiate a return of the vehicle to the dealer because I feel it is a $45,000 piece of junk. So disappointed in the very poor quality of this vehicle.

I have had my new 2015 Explorer XLT in twice for rattles in the dash and have now noticed the same rattle you mention. Also, they are going to replace the seat bracket because it makes a terribly annoying click every time I hit a bump.

I'm trying to negotiate a return of the vehicle to the dealer because I feel it is a $45,000 piece of junk. So disappointed in the very poor quality of this vehicle.

Mine is a bit noisy, but it probably just needs some grease. I leave the shade fully open 95% of the time, so the lack of opening and closing probably has it seized up. Also, when driving the car you'll get the "flap" of the shade if it's partially closed due to air movement.

All fixed

So i got it back from the dealership the next day after i dropped it off. All is well again. They changed reel assy. They also said that it looked as though it was never changed to begin with, just looked like someone over lubed it to try to cover up the noise. I thought this to be interesting. Definitely will not be returning to the dealership that we bought it at. And i will be sending an email to Ford Corporate Office about the poor service i got from the first dealership.

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
As has been mentioned several times before, the price of a vehicle has nothing to do with any issues it may develop. There is no correlation between the two.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
As has been mentioned several times before, the price of a vehicle has nothing to do with any issues it may develop. There is no correlation between the two.

Peter

Yours standards must be much lower than most consumers.

I am not sure you understand the concept of "you get what you pay for". If a consumer is paying for a premium product, the consumer expects exceptional quality.
$45,000 for an SUV that is advertised as the best SUV for the money and turns out to be a TURD, I want my money back too.

Rattles are part and parcel with an SUV. You are driving around in a big, open box for the most part, and any little noise, that would probably be a non-issue in a sedan, are amplified in the big, open architecture of the SUV.

My advice is trade it for a sedan.

I'm not trying to defend Ford, but it hasn't been that long ago I intended to (and did) gyrate my way to tighten all the bolts I could get to in my dash, storage areas and under the hood because (all) cars developed squeaks, rattles, etc. Now, due to my size and age, I don't even try. But then again, I haven't needed to in years.

Anyway, I feel for those of you that do have rattles or other annoying noises in your new vehicle.

But, as long as your dealer takes care of these noises, all is good.

JMHO,

TW

Yours standards must be much lower than most consumers.

I am not sure you understand the concept of "you get what you pay for". If a consumer is paying for a premium product, the consumer expects exceptional quality.
$45,000 for an SUV that is advertised as the best SUV for the money and turns out to be a TURD, I want my money back too.
It has nothing to do with standards either. I like most consumers expect a well made trouble free vehicle. Unfortunately that isn't always what you get regardless of what you paid. There are less expensive vehicles out there that have few if any issues and then you have the higher end ones that do develop problems. That is why several members on this forum have said that a higher price doesn't guaranty a trouble free vehicle only the expectations that it is. That also applied to your statement "you get what you pay for".

Peter

I get the aame roof shade rattle. Didnt take it in yet but I find if I slide the shade back just a smidgen it no longer rattles. Guess ill take it in sooner or later.

Back