2015 Explorer sport water pump replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer sport water pump replacement

BoMan

Reaction score
City, State
North Las Vegas, Nv
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello members! I'm a novice forum user and even less inclined mechanically. I have used the for prior for info and all the info is appreciated and useful but never posted before. I have an issue that I've read post about but could not find my specific issue. I would really appreciate any help that the forum could provide. I drive a 2015 Explorer sport that at the time of issue had 57,000 miles. Developed a small coolant leak and took car to dealer for repair and told it was the water pump. Although not told at the time, I discovered this was a problem for many others. After being told they would have to call in a major engine tech, I became curious and discovered the litigation against Ford ref this issue and how prevalent it was. Did further research and found out why it required a major engine tech. It's a very involved repair. Watched a few videos and immediately contacted my service writer and advised about my concern of my vehicle being the same when returned. Was assured this would not be an issue. Due to numerous vehicles in front of me, my vehicle returned after a month. Needless to say, my vehicle is not the same. My car now uses a ton of gas, self check through my vehicle options shows 14 miles a gallon. furthermore vehicle is considerably slower. When i get on the accelerator I can hear the engine straining and working much harder also while going up an incline, even on the freeway. It now seems like a normally aspirated engine. I'm recently retired police and drove the interceptors and it feels like that. When getting on the gas the car jerks back before accelerating and as stated it is sooo much slower. Not smooth speed pickup as before. Took back to dealer and service writer drove around the block and said car was fine. My question is has anyone else had this issue after water pump repair? Gonna take to a shop tomorrow and have car put on a dyno to see what actual horsepower vehicle is putting out now. All I've been told is if no engine light on nothing is wrong. If there are any other recommendations I would truly appreciate the input. Please, please help. Thanks all in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm a bit like you when it comes to being "inclined mechanically". I don't know if a timing chain could cause your issues or not. I have read that several members who had the pump replaced at a higher mileage also opted to have the timing chain replaced. Apparently both are in the same area.

Peter

Hello members! I'm a novice forum user and even less inclined mechanically. I have used the for prior for info and all the info is appreciated and useful but never posted before. I have an issue that I've read post about but could not find my specific issue. I would really appreciate any help that the forum could provide. I drive a 2015 Explorer sport that at the time of issue had 57,000 miles. Developed a small coolant leak and took car to dealer for repair and told it was the water pump. Although not told at the time, I discovered this was a problem for many others. After being told they would have to call in a major engine tech, I became curious and discovered the litigation against Ford ref this issue and how prevalent it was. Did further research and found out why it required a major engine tech. It's a very involved repair. Watched a few videos and immediately contacted my service writer and advised about my concern of my vehicle being the same when returned. Was assured this would not be an issue. Due to numerous vehicles in front of me, my vehicle returned after a month. Needless to say, my vehicle is not the same. My car now uses a ton of gas, self check through my vehicle options shows 14 miles a gallon. furthermore vehicle is considerably slower. When i get on the accelerator I can hear the engine straining and working much harder also while going up an incline, even on the freeway. It now seems like a normally aspirated engine. I'm recently retired police and drove the interceptors and it feels like that. When getting on the gas the car jerks back before accelerating and as stated it is sooo much slower. Not smooth speed pickup as before. Took back to dealer and service writer drove around the block and said car was fine. My question is has anyone else had this issue after water pump repair? Gonna take to a shop tomorrow and have car put on a dyno to see what actual horsepower vehicle is putting out now. All I've been told is if no engine light on nothing is wrong. If there are any other recommendations I would truly appreciate the input. Please, please help. Thanks all in advance.

Have them prove to you that the Variable Valve Timing ( VVT) is still operational. Your symptoms sound like a valve timing issue. The water pump replacement does require complete dis assembly of the timing chain components.

Timing is out or could the turbo not be functioning properly?

Turdle, thank you for the reply. I will have that checked. I asked about timing and only told since no check engine light on the timing is not the issue. Adrian I'm not sure. I know about the timing only by reading and watching repair videos. The gas mileage as well as the lack of power leads me to believe the turbos aren't engaging. At least not properly. I read it's a sealed system and not sure if engine not resealed properly after repair. The way service writer checked my turbo was hooked up one of those code readers and revved the engine and the graph showed my turbo was getting boost. I'm not sure if you can check boost if car in park just by revving the engine. I also have an issue now with ac. Was told prior to water pump service by service writer it's a sealed system and nothing could be done. Yes was actually told this. Pissed at dealer so went to a local shop and had freon recharged and a was great. Few days later ac blows warm air again. Will take to a different dealer in morn for ac and get it on a dyno on Monday and will update then. Thanks all again for the help.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm a bit like you when it comes to being "inclined mechanically". I don't know if a timing chain could cause your issues or not. I have read that several members who had the pump replaced at a higher mileage also opted to have the timing chain replaced. Apparently both are in the same area.

Peter
Thank you. Was advised that all that was checked when putting in the water pump. All else appeared to be ok as eported by dealer.

Hey guys. Ref this issue I was having, I couldn't find a reputable shop in Vegas to dyno my vehicle so ended up taking it to a different dealership today. Upon getting explorer back service writer stated problem was the CAC (charge air cooler) tube was loose. I haven't fully driven the car under pressure yet but I can tell already the engine isn't working as hard. I can also hear the turbo air sound now and its even more pronounced and louder than it was was before the water pump repair. Also has better acceleration now so hoping and praying this fixes the problem. The fix must have been simple cuz I took it in for a diagnostic on turbo's and there was no charge when I picked up my vehicle which is a HUGE credit to the dealership. If anyone is having this issue with twin turbo engine appearing to be normally aspirated and large gas mileage decrease this may be the issue. Not once during this issue did I get any warning light also just the lack of performance.

Very happy to hear your outcome was good and will stay that way.
I sincerely hope you rip that dealership a new one, if you know what I mean.

BerndM thank you. Not sure how I will handle but will surely contact Ford Motor Corp reference this. I can honestly say the engine is back to responding properly after getting on the freeway a few times last night and pushing it a little. Actually seems a lil faster and lil more pep. Not sure about gas mileage yet. Pushing it it from one on ramp to the next off ramp consumed quite a bit of fuel but surely happy to just have the performance back which is reason for buying the car in first place, well that and my daughter plays soccer and at the time a sports car was out of the question as I always had her and teammates to transport around. Shes the reason I knew there was a problem. She's kinda a car nut and when she drove my vehicle to work one day and came home and said, Dad, what's wrong with your car? It's really slow. When I heard that from my 19 year old daughter, I knew it wasn't just me. In a previous post, one of the members, thank you Turdle, mentioned Variable Valve Timing. If fuel consumption stays the same, gonna have that checked next. BerndM thanks again for the post and May you and yours have a wonderful holiday

Upon getting explorer back service writer stated problem was the CAC (charge air cooler) tube was loose.

Gotta love good ol' incompetence!

Gotta love good ol' incompetence!

VCFP for sure. My biggest irritation though is after reporting issue to original dealership, they simply blew me off and gave me B/S about vehicle fine and testing it by hooking up to a code reader to test turbo's? It's more being lazy and unconcerned than being incompetent. Mechanically inclined or not, most of us know our cars. The service dept simply blew me off and didn't listen to my concern. Actually has happened before. Daughter has a twin turbo car also and when I drove it, when getting on gas made a loud whooshing noise it didn't make before. I bought her car barely used in Dallas and drove it back to Las Vegas so I knew it well. Took it in to dealer (different make vehicle). Told it was fine and couldn't find issue after service appt. I knew it wasn't driven far to test it as, because shes my daughter, there's a tracker on her car that tells me when it starts and can actually track it while driving and when engine is turned off again. Drove it home, and when getting on freeway made same sound. I was livid. Went home, got on youtube and found a video of exact same issue and symptoms of her car. Tube was hard to see f you're a novice as I had looked before but after watching video, knew exactly where to look.It was completely melted off engine. Not only that, the part had been re-manufactured by the auto maker and there was a recall on the part. Now that's incompetence. Service writers and service dept would have less issues if they simply listened to their customers. Yes, I get it, we can be a pain sometimes, But just listen and realize that customers know their vehicles. The service writer at the other dealership simply listened. Thank you Carla. Will get her something really nice for a gift. Not because I wasn't charged but simply because she listened and took my complaint and concerns seriously.

VCFP for sure. My biggest irritation though is after reporting issue to original dealership, they simply blew me off and gave me B/S about vehicle fine and testing it by hooking up to a code reader to test turbo's? It's more being lazy and unconcerned than being incompetent. Mechanically inclined or not, most of us know our cars. The service dept simply blew me off and didn't listen to my concern. Actually has happened before. Daughter has a twin turbo car also and when I drove it, when getting on gas made a loud whooshing noise it didn't make before. I bought her car barely used in Dallas and drove it back to Las Vegas so I knew it well. Took it in to dealer (different make vehicle). Told it was fine and couldn't find issue after service appt. I knew it wasn't driven far to test it as, because shes my daughter, there's a tracker on her car that tells me when it starts and can actually track it while driving and when engine is turned off again. Drove it home, and when getting on freeway made same sound. I was livid. Went home, got on youtube and found a video of exact same issue and symptoms of her car. Tube was hard to see f you're a novice as I had looked before but after watching video, knew exactly where to look.It was completely melted off engine. Not only that, the part had been re-manufactured by the auto maker and there was a recall on the part. Now that's incompetence. Service writers and service dept would have less issues if they simply listened to their customers. Yes, I get it, we can be a pain sometimes, But just listen and realize that customers know their vehicles. The service writer at the other dealership simply listened. Thank you Carla. Will get her something really nice for a gift. Not because I wasn't charged but simply because she listened and took my complaint and concerns seriously.

Glad everything is back to normal. A lot of stuff has to come off when doing a water pump replacement and like you, I was also concerned something would be amiss when mine was recently changed. At least it sounds like you found a competent dealership ( the second one) to take your's to next time!

mcneb_19.jpg
Remove and clean sensors , clean throttle , check plugs and coils

View attachment 176454

Back