2015 Explorer towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer towing

Just got a new 2015 Explorer XLT fwd, (factory class III tow package) last Tuesday. Looking to tow my trailer w/Mustang on it. Combined wt. approx. 4500 - 4700 pounds. I previously towed this with my 1997 Mountaineer v8 awd worked locally, but I wouldn't have traveled long distance with it. 2005 Explorer v6 worked ok local, but truck was in too rough shape to try anything longer. Loved my 1997 Mountaineer, owned it 1999-2013. Got 2005 Explorer 4x4 in 2013, it towed ok, but truck continued to have constant elec. problems. So, I bit the bullet and got a new 2015. Has anybody tried towing a trailer/car combo with the 2015's.

Thanks, Craig

The 2015 Explorer with the Class III tow package and the 3.5L engine can tow a maximum of 5000lbs. If it has the 2.0L it can only tow up to 2000lbs.

You should be able to pull the combo if it's under 5000lbs and you have the 3.5L.

http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/specifications/towing/

Hi Anime,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have the 3.5L v6 with the factory tow package and I use a weight dist. hitch. I don't anticipate any problems, but was wondering if anyone here had towed this type of combo. I am curious about the handling with lack of a steel frame.

Happy Dingus Day to all!

Craig

Combined weight rating (GCVWR) is about 10,160 lbs. You should find the actual empty weight of your Explorer on a door sticker.
10,160 - (empty Explorer 4800?) - (loaded trailer 4800?) = amount of people and stuff you can still put in the Explorer

This is going to max out that Explorer. It's good that you have a WDH. You must also be sure the trailer brakes (surge or electric) are working properly.

Back