2015 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer

BJBonnie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 chevy s-10
I am thinking about buying 2015 Explorer that is Flex fuel, I have never owned a vehicle with flex fuel, trying to understand it. I read all the information on pro/cons. What I want to know what type of problems come with owning Flex Fuel vehicle. If I run unleaded gas from normal gas station and not flex fuel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you in a state that offers flex fuel?

I live in Arizona and we have Explorers tagged as flex fuel but we don't have stations here to support it. Owners must run standard fuel through these. Never heard of any issues...

A flex fuel vehicle uses regular gas like any other vehicle but just has the ability to run E-85. The master computer uses a alcohol sensor in the fuel line to change engine operation parameters when you fill up with E-85. The down side is more frequent oil changes (about half the mileage of regular oil changes) and terrible fuel economy with E-85. You also have to fill up with a half tank or more to change between them or you get bad fuel economy and performance with a mix. I tried a couple of tanks of E-85 in a previous F150 and never did it again. It was due to fuel economy and the price of E-85 did not justify it. Plus finding E-85 stations is difficult. The number of E-85 stations and ethanol plants has not increased but is actually decreasing. My recommendation is don't concern yourself with E-85 or flex fuel and get what you want. If you want a turbo it wont be flex fuel. manufacturers don't have to conform to fuel efficiency standards for E-85 just regular gas so they don't bother with tuning the E-85 side for efficiency. With a mix of fuel they cant tune for both to be efficient. You have to go with custom tuning to get optimum E-85 tuning and would have to use it exclusively. The cost difference between E-85 and Gasoline has never gotten large enough to justify using E-85 with lower gas mileage to save money. I figured on my old F150 I had to see a price difference of $1.00 or more to save money and The highest I saw was $0.60 in 2009 and the current price from the only dealer in my town is $0.25 cents. Gas would have to get above $5 per gallon before we may see a large enough cost difference to justify buying and using it. SO far that hasn't happened!

Welcome to the Forum BJBonnie.:wavey:
As mentioned, a vehicle that is 'Flex Fuel' is designed to run on either regular gasoline or E85. It's your choice assuming E85 is available in your area.
Happy shopping.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Thank you for your answers, I will be picking up my new 2015 Explorer on Monday, I am so excited. The vehicle drove great, felt great. I'm good with the flex fuel too, won't be using it.

I agree with binaryman3. It's good to have the option to use E85 if needed, but I would only use E85 if normal gasoline is not available. Another issue with E85 is that it attracts, rather than repels, water. This is not good for the fuel system.

Back