2015 Ford Explorer about to be for sale. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Ford Explorer about to be for sale.

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I have driven my Explorer XLT now for a little over 15 months. I have approximately 15,000 miles on it. While I like the spaciousness of the cab, and its appearance, that's really all I have good to say about it. It gets crappy gas mileage, the gas tank is ridiculously small, the Sync and MFT sucks so bad, it should be recalled, the brakes have squealed since the day I bought it, the GPS is grossly inaccurate, I have had to have the fog lamps replaced within 3 months of driving it new off the lot, and now the heat has developed an issue. I took it in for its oil change and to have some other issues looked at, and the service department tells me there is a sensor in the grill that is broken off that controls the temperature reading on the MFT screen, as well as the heat in the vehicle. They said its not covered under warranty, and it'll cost $375 to repair it. I Googled the part, and unless I am looking at the wrong thing, its a $10 part. This is my first experience buying a new Ford, and it will certainly be my last. I didn't pay $45,000 to have a vehicle to have so many problems. Looks like I will be entertaining another vehicle soon. I can't stand sub-par vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best of luck whichever direction you go.

Had a salesman came outside to help me, I would probably be driving a Highlander instead.

How can that not be a warranty item?

Your guess is as good as mine. I didn't break it. And my HVAC is not working properly because of that sensor. Seems to me that Ford has a design problem if a part breaks that easily.

Weird that one in hundreds of thousands of Explorers would fail without being damaged.

You should pursue the Regional Representative in your area through the Customer Service personnel on this forum.

Weird that one in hundreds of thousands of Explorers would fail without being damaged.

You should pursue the Regional Representative in your area through the Customer Service personnel on this forum.

He said the sensor is broken off. Only thing I can think of is a rock/stone hit it.

First I have heard on here of a broken or malfunctioning sensor.

He said the sensor is broken off. Only thing I can think of is a rock/stone hit it.

its behind the grille. I haven't been hit by anything. I would have heard it.

I can't explain how it became damaged. It's not easy to get to.

It's the ambient air temperature sensor and its in the bumper on the driver's side. You would have damage to the bumper if it got hit. I can see anyway that something would fling up and hit it.

DY1160png%20(2).png

There isn't any damage. The killer is that it's a $10 part and they said $375 to fix it. Wtf.

Well it probably costs so much because as you said it's not easy to get to. The front bumper probably has to be removed to access it. So you're paying labor to replace it (at dealer rates of $100+). You would be surprised how many $10 parts cost a few hundred to fix once labor is added in. Honestly sound like you got some bad luck with the vehicle many have said they wished the fuel tank was bigger and how bad MFT is which is why Ford has gotten away from Microsoft. I suggest you either contact a regional rep and see if they will help you OR pick up your Explorer take the part number on your estimate and then check how much it actually costs and where it is located.

Well it probably costs so much because as you said it's not easy to get to. The front bumper probably has to be removed to access it. So you're paying labor to replace it (at dealer rates of $100+). You would be surprised how many $10 parts cost a few hundred to fix once labor is added in.

Similar to the $40 some dollar water pump that is not easy to get to, but the water pump replacement is much more expensive and can cause catastrophic damage to the engine.

wtf is right! how can that not be covered....broken off or not

I'm calling the service manager in the morning. He has helped me out in the past when my fog lights quit and they wanted to charge me to fix them too. Also when I insisted that they activate my remote starter and they said it didn't exist.

I have driven my Explorer XLT now for a little over 15 months. I have approximately 15,000 miles on it. While I like the spaciousness of the cab, and its appearance, that's really all I have good to say about it. It gets crappy gas mileage, the gas tank is ridiculously small, the Sync and MFT sucks so bad, it should be recalled, the brakes have squealed since the day I bought it, the GPS is grossly inaccurate, I have had to have the fog lamps replaced within 3 months of driving it new off the lot, and now the heat has developed an issue. I took it in for its oil change and to have some other issues looked at, and the service department tells me there is a sensor in the grill that is broken off that controls the temperature reading on the MFT screen, as well as the heat in the vehicle. They said its not covered under warranty, and it'll cost $375 to repair it. I Googled the part, and unless I am looking at the wrong thing, its a $10 part. This is my first experience buying a new Ford, and it will certainly be my last. I didn't pay $45,000 to have a vehicle to have so many problems. Looks like I will be entertaining another vehicle soon. I can't stand sub-par vehicles.

Let us know how many similar sized SUVs weighing over 6,000 pounds with AWD get better gas mileage than the Explorer. I easily get over 22 on the highway and about 18 around town. That's the price of admission. Heck, I bought gas this week in central Illinois for $1.66. That's nuttier than squirrel poop.

So 18.6 gallons of fuel is not enough? With a highway cruising range of 400 miles. You must have a huge bladder. I usually need a bathroom before I need gas. :) I think my 2007 Eddie Bauer have a 22+ gallon tank. Yeah, that was nice, but it also had worse gas mileage. About 18 tops. So, net-net, range is in the ballpark.

My GPS works great. I use it every day. All day long. But nothing beats my old Garmins. Even the GPS systems in my +$150,000 weekend toys aren't better than a Garmin

MFT and Sync are not perfect. Much better than my 2011.

I've never heard brake squeal on any of my 5 Explorers, and over 500,000 miles of use. I know brake squeal. I live at the race track April-October in sportscars.

Log lamp issue? Pffft. No big deal.

Sensor in the grill? See if another dealership will cooperate better. On my 2011 that sensor failed. Soon after I had a fender-bender. There was not a mark on my bumper. But the sensor failed soon after. This is maybe why your repair is being declined. Buy the $10 and DIY. If you don't have the skill level (I don't) then ya gotta pay to play.

You paid $45K. Great. I see 2 problems. One was fixed (fog lights) under warranty, the other (sensor) is yet to be resolved. I've seen people pay $450,000 for a vehicle, and they have warranty issues too. I know people who have paid $22,500 for an SUV and have ZERO problems. Price paid does not make you immune to mechanical failure.

I really don't think there is a better American Made, by an American Company, SUV in the market, then the Explorer. Yes, there are some great foreign choices. But, I'm unwilling to buy a foreign SUV, and drive to my American customers and sell my American made products to them.

Let us know what you buy next. Good luck.

Reach out to Ford Customer Service here on the forum, for the sensor, they are great people.

sounds like you need to find a new dealership to take your Explorer to.

Bill, after being a Subaru driver for the past 12 years, and 5 different Subaru's, I hesitated to buy a domestic car. The only reason I switched is because at 6'5" and 290lbs, any considerable time in a Subaru results in more aches and pains than I cared for enduring. I went to buy a Toyota Highlander, but the salesmen on the dealership lot couldn't bring themselves out into the 90F heat to sell me one. They lost a cash sale, and I made sure they knew it after waiting an hour on lot for no one to come out. Now I wonder if I should have waited two hours. It would likely have saved me the multiple hours lost with my Explorer in the service department. American cars can't hold a candle to import cars. They have reduced the distance in quality significantly, but still haven't eclipsed the quality and dependability. If Subaru were to make an AWD full sized SUV, I'd jump ship in a second. I took a chance on Ford, and it hasn't been too kind to me. I will look elsewhere when the time comes.

Bill, after being a Subaru driver for the past 12 years, and 5 different Subaru's, I hesitated to buy a domestic car. The only reason I switched is because at 6'5" and 290lbs, any considerable time in a Subaru results in more aches and pains than I cared for enduring. I went to buy a Toyota Highlander, but the salesmen on the dealership lot couldn't bring themselves out into the 90F heat to sell me one. They lost a cash sale, and I made sure they knew it after waiting an hour on lot for no one to come out. Now I wonder if I should have waited two hours. It would likely have saved me the multiple hours lost with my Explorer in the service department. American cars can't hold a candle to import cars. They have reduced the distance in quality significantly, but still haven't eclipsed the quality and dependability. If Subaru were to make an AWD full sized SUV, I'd jump ship in a second. I took a chance on Ford, and it hasn't been too kind to me. I will look elsewhere when the time comes.

360, that's kinda funny. Some people hate it when the dealership salesmen are jumping on you as you're just getting out of your car. I've had it both ways. Sometimes I just want to be left alone. Sometimes I'm looking for someone to hand a check to.

Hey, maybe they were afraid of your 6'5" frame and 290 pounds!:) I know I would be. Where'd you play ball?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it probably costs so much because as you said it's not easy to get to. The front bumper probably has to be removed to access it. So you're paying labor to replace it (at dealer rates of $100+). You would be surprised how many $10 parts cost a few hundred to fix once labor is added in. Honestly sound like you got some bad luck with the vehicle many have said they wished the fuel tank was bigger and how bad MFT is which is why Ford has gotten away from Microsoft. I suggest you either contact a regional rep and see if they will help you OR pick up your Explorer take the part number on your estimate and then check how much it actually costs and where it is located.

No it doesn't. You can reach up from under and get to it. I was looking at a previously wrecked explorer one time and saw the error for the temp sensor. Found the wiring of were it went and it was ripped off when they replaced the bumper.

OP,

You said the fog lights were worked on? The fog light wiring is really close to the temp sensor.

Back