2015 Ford Explorer Sport Performance not as good as MKT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Ford Explorer Sport Performance not as good as MKT

xyf80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Just saw this chart on MKT:

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2014/1618775/lincoln_mkt_awd_ecoboost.html

And compared to Ex SPort
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2014/1770830/ford_explorer_sport.html

The MKT reached top performance of 350 lb/ft beginning of 1500 RPM while Ex is powerful but reach 350 lb/ft beginning of 3500 RPM. I checked the Engine specs details difference, it seems that the engine is exact the same except MKT engine have
Additional features:
Bosch high pressure 2150psi fuel injection, 2x Garrett GT15 turbo 12psi

Does anyone know if it is possible to add those to Ex Sport? That would be even better for Ex Sport! Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure I trust that dyno chart (being a straight line and all) or for that matter the website you linked to.

I thought all 3.5L Ecoboost engines would be the same. Maybe that's a modified Lincoln MKT?

I thought all 3.5L Ecoboost engines would be the same. Maybe that's a modified Lincoln MKT?

I am thinking the same first few month, then I looked Ford official website it said clearly for MKT it is 1500-5000 rpm for Max performance and Ex Sport is @ 3500 rpm

Not sure I trust that dyno chart (being a straight line and all) or for that matter the website you linked to.

The chart is coincide with Ford official website, and it seems adding that extra feature will bring it up the performance, question is how?

Just saw this chart on MKT:

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2014/1618775/lincoln_mkt_awd_ecoboost.html

And compared to Ex SPort
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2014/1770830/ford_explorer_sport.html

The MKT reached top performance of 350 lb/ft beginning of 1500 RPM while Ex is powerful but reach 350 lb/ft beginning of 3500 RPM. I checked the Engine specs details difference, it seems that the engine is exact the same except MKT engine have
Additional features:
Bosch high pressure 2150psi fuel injection, 2x Garrett GT15 turbo 12psi

Does anyone know if it is possible to add those to Ex Sport? That would be even better for Ex Sport! Thanks in advance

Apparently (if that source can be trusted), MKT has same Ecoboost tune as Ford F-150, when all your power is available starting low RPM (which is essential for a truck, like F-150).
Ford wants you to spend more buying MKT if you want all your horses starting 1500RPM.

Apparently (if that source can be trusted), MKT has same Ecoboost tune as Ford F-150, when all your power is available starting low RPM (which is essential for a truck, like F-150).
Ford wants you to spend more buying MKT if you want all your horses starting 1500RPM.

Partially agree, however the Taurus SHO is using exact the same engine like MKT and MKS, which means Ford is using its best engine on Taurus SHO but not Explorer. Little disappointed

Moreover, just checked Lincoln web-site and found that 3.5l Ecoboost IS TUNED differently for each particular model.
Below is the example for Lincoln Navigator:
Engine type 3.5L Twin Turbo Charged Direct Injection EcoBoost® V6
Transmission type 6-Speed Automatic Transmission with SelectShift®
Horsepower (SAE net @ rpm) 380 @ 5,250 rpm
Torque (lb. Ft SAE net @ rpm) 460 @ 2,750 rpm

As you can see same 3.5 Ecoboost delivers 380HP and has much more torque!

Partially agree, however the Taurus SHO is using exact the same engine like MKT and MKS, which means Ford is using its best engine on Taurus SHO but not Explorer. Little disappointed

Right, Ford put more effort into tuning Taurus SHO, rather than Explorer.
I think main point here is that Explorer is an SUV and SHO is a sedan.

Right, Ford put more effort into tuning Taurus SHO, rather than Explorer.
I think main point here is that Explorer is an SUV and SHO is a sedan.

Yes, I could see Ford might want a bit more market in Sedan market than Explorer in States as it is already the one of the popular SUV in the market. That would explain.

Would you think it would be possible to get Ex Sport of same performance like SHO easily? Thanks

Yes, I could see Ford might want a bit more market in Sedan market than Explorer in States as it is already the one of the popular SUV in the market. That would explain.

Would you think it would be possible to get Ex Sport of same performance like SHO easily? Thanks

I always thought and still thinking that, definitely, Explorer Sport was hugely underpowered!!! With right hardware and software Explorer could give at least 400HP, and it is not only about upgrading engine, but brakes, trans and suspension. Ford needs more work to be done on Ex Sport! for sure it would bring price tag another 10K higher, which is already Lincoln target market...
So, wanna smth with better performance? go for Lincoln at least or BMW M-series or Mers AMG or Brabus, lol.

BTW, you would wait probably until next generation Ex Sport is announced in couple of years, may be it will deliver more performance.
I, personally, have a good friend at Ford dealership and asked him to find out if that is possible to put 3.5l Ecoboost into my Limited instead of 3.5l N/A I have and he said it is not possible! So sad... It would be cheaper for me swapping engines instead of swapping the cars!

BTW, you would wait probably until next generation Ex Sport is announced in couple of years, may be it will deliver more performance.
I, personally, have a good friend at Ford dealership and asked him to find out if that is possible to put 3.5l Ecoboost into my Limited instead of 3.5l N/A I have and he said it is not possible! So sad... It would be cheaper for me swapping engines instead of swapping the cars!

Lol, that is very interesting. I just purchased my Ex Sport, very satisfied with the performance compared with all other car, Enclave, QX 60, and many...

My family can not stand with MKT 3rd row, so tiny and low space, or I would go MKT.

Lol, that is very interesting. I just purchased my Ex Sport, very satisfied with the performance compared with all other car, Enclave, QX 60, and many...

My family can not stand with MKT 3rd row, so tiny and low space, or I would go MKT.

Congrats on your new Sport! No matter what, still great vehicle and great engine. I wish it could've been available back in 2011 when I bought my Ex...

Congrats on your new Sport! No matter what, still great vehicle and great engine. I wish it could've been available back in 2011 when I bought my Ex...

Thanks man, I love it, just more than curious for how to improve things, if it is easy and supported why not? Right?

My Sport feels a lot snappier than my old 2009 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8!

Thanks man, I love it, just more than curious for how to improve things, if it is easy and supported why not? Right?

If you look for improving performance then your way is to SCT or Livernois Motorsports custom tunings.

If you look for improving performance then your way is to SCT or Livernois Motorsports custom tunings.

It will be the best 412.00 mod for your sport !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moreover, just checked Lincoln web-site and found that 3.5l Ecoboost IS TUNED differently for each particular model.
Below is the example for Lincoln Navigator:
Engine type 3.5L Twin Turbo Charged Direct Injection EcoBoost® V6
Transmission type 6-Speed Automatic Transmission with SelectShift®
Horsepower (SAE net @ rpm) 380 @ 5,250 rpm
Torque (lb. Ft SAE net @ rpm) 460 @ 2,750 rpm

As you can see same 3.5 Ecoboost delivers 380HP and has much more torque!

The Navigator is Lincoln's version of the Ford Expedition, which is a truck platform. The Explorer is built on a heavily modified Ford Taurus sedan. If you look at the F-150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost, it has similar torque numbers as you posted for the Navigator. Not surprising given that they are both trucks. Ford probably had to limit this in the Explorer / MKT to protect the car transmission.

Back