2015 Limited 2nd row rattle

kjelliott6712

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Hello,
I just bought the 2015 Explorer Limited and we've noticed a VERY annoying rattle nice thats coming from the area between the s2nd row armrest and the seatbelt area of the 2nd row passenger seat. We noticed the vibration when we initially bought the car and had it back to the dealer for repair.
Well, yesterday, the service department informed me that the rattle noises are coming from the armrest and the side of the passenger side seat. Evidentially, there are two hard objects that protect the leather surface but they rub and vibrate because of it. When someone is seated in the 2nd row passenger side, the rattle stops. But starts again immediately when no ones seated there.
My Service department told me that "I WOULD HAVE TO "SHIM"" the area where the rattle noise is coming from. So, I questioned why it is that I have to do this fix and not the Ford Dealership. The answer i was given was "Ford has no remedy to fix this common complaint and that the customers should use a shim type object to keep the plastics from rubbing/rattling together.
I have to go one further, the service manager (who personally heard the rattle during the test drive) told me that he has the same exact problem with his 15 explorer and i should just do as he does..."TURN UP THE RADIO".
To be honest, I have lost all faith in Ford from the top down. Inferior quality assurance and ridiculous "Do It Yourself Repairs"

HEY FORD... With my complete coverage warranty, YOU will fix these issues, not the customers. If this is the road you'd like to go down, i'll make sure the Lemon Law Attourneys are ready to start these cases.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me start by saying you should not have to deal with these annoyances and defects in a brand new car BUT I have owned many many new cars from American to foreign from inexpensive to really expensive and honestly no car is perfect, most of them usually have something. That said, it should be addressed better than yours was and those answers aren't acceptable. Ford should make it right. Period. That said, escalate the matter with Ford Corporate and PM FordService here who might be able to assist. Save the money on the attorney, the Lemon Law would not be applicable in this situation. I'm sure it will work out.

Hello,
HEY FORD... With my complete coverage warranty, YOU will fix these issues, not the customers. If this is the road you'd like to go down, i'll make sure the Lemon Law Attourneys are ready to start these cases.

Oh, wow...I bet this REALLY scares them. LOL. This is a troll post if I ever read one!

You're right that no car is perfect and I completely agree. However, the so called "remedy" was ridiculous.

You're right that no car is perfect and I completely agree. However, the so called "remedy" was ridiculous.

It's very frustrating when you have a brand new vehicle, especially one you spend a lot of money on and things go wrong and then it's complicated when the dealer says something stupid. One thing to try to keep in mind, and I'm sure you don't want to hear it, it's a car, things go wrong, it can be fixed. Again, I'm sure you don't want to hear it when you spend money but it will make you live a longer happier life.

Anyway, some people say stupid things. They are human. I would suggest going to see the general manager and explaining the situation without getting too worked up. Give them a chance to make it right and get it fixed. Tell them you are a good customer and want them to do the right thing. Another thing you can do is PM Tricia on this board. Her username is FordService and they are the official Ford rep. She can help intervene and make sure the matter is handled appropriately.

I'm bringing it back in on Tuesday and hopefully the service manager keeps to his word by fixing it. As far a bashing Ford, this is my 4th ford and I've never experienced issues like this before. Also, I couldn't find any other posts that had a similar issue as mine. I've owned enough Fords to base my opinion and I could care less what nit-wits post with NOTHING to add. Anyhow, thanks Patsy and I'll keep you posted.

I'm bringing it back in on Tuesday and hopefully the service manager keeps to his word by fixing it. As far a bashing Ford, this is my 4th ford and I've never experienced issues like this before. Also, I couldn't find any other posts that had a similar issue as mine. I've owned enough Fords to base my opinion and I could care less what nit-wits post with NOTHING to add. Anyhow, thanks Patsy and I'll keep you posted.

Hi kjelliott6712,

Let's see what I can do to help quiet down your Explorer. How many miles are on it? I'll get to work on some options, but be advised that if you retain the services of an attorney, I won't be able to assist as I don't have legal training.

Crystal

As of today there's less than 600 miles on the car. I would only contact an attorney if every option was exhausted.

I would only contact an attorney if every option was exhausted.

Seriously? Getting an attorney involved due to a small rattle? Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. You're wasting more time dicking around at the dealership and demanding that they fix it for you than if you simply take care of the issue (easily fixed/corrected) by yourself. A huge over-reaction on your part IMHO.
Take Patsy's advice and relax a little man....

Seriously? Getting an attorney involved due to a small rattle? Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. You're wasting more time dicking around at the dealership and demanding that they fix it for you than if you simply take care of the issue (easily fixed/corrected) by yourself. A huge over-reaction on your part IMHO.
Take Patsy's advice and relax a little man....

Seriously...1. 60 miles on the explorer and the brake vibration shoot the steering wheel and pulsated the brake pedal. 2. took in for service and all 4 rotors had to be resurfaced. 60 miles and rotors need resurfacing??? Service department has to knowledge as how this happened, 3. picked up the car and the problem was identical as before. 4 next appointment was to get the Xylon coating applied as well as the interior treatment applied (purchased their protection Plan). Also, the two dings that we found at the time of look over were to be repaired by their dent wizard company. Plus the rotors has to be replaced.

The car was dropped off at the dealership at 7:30 and i was the 2nd car into a bay. 1:45Pm i received a call from service that they couldn't find the wheel lock that was in my glove box. So this means the rotors weren't even started yet. 3:30 i get a call that the car was done and ready to pick-up.
When i looked at the invoice, the ONLY service performed was the rotors, NOT the dings repaired, NOT the interior of exterior treatment and NOT the 2nd row seating rattle. that is annoying as hell.

So, when you come at me with that "Seriously" and "a huge over reaction my part and what ever the hell IMHO means.you simply take care of the issue (easily fixed/corrected) by yourself. After spending 50K I'm not fixing a thing.

As of today there's less than 600 miles on the car. I would only contact an attorney if every option was exhausted.

Please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it shows up in the margin. Thanks.

P.S. IMHO = in my humble opinion. Some members throw these acronyms around expecting everyone to know what they mean, IMHO.

Peter

Thanks for the info, kjelliott6712.

Let me get this escalated. Please PM your full name, VIN, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist! :)

Tricia

So, when you come at me with that "Seriously" and "a huge over reaction my part and what ever the hell IMHO means.you simply take care of the issue (easily fixed/corrected) by yourself. After spending 50K I'm not fixing a thing.

LOL...your original post was referring to a simple rattle and nothing more....so obviously that was what I was referring to in my comments back to you. Then all of a sudden you mention all of the other issues that you have been experiencing as well...like somehow the rest of us knew that. Perhaps you posted those issues in another thread........I wouldn't know, I'm commenting on this thread as it was written by you. Sounds like you have an issue with inept people at your dealership more so than Ford. Also, the fact that you spent $50K has very little to do with the situation.

So again, relax, take a deep breath....you've had a bad experience, I wouldn't wish it on anyone...but anger is not the answer either.

Seriously?
Seriously...1. 60 miles on the explorer and the brake vibration shoot the steering wheel and pulsated the brake pedal. 2. took in for service and all 4 rotors had to be resurfaced. 60 miles and rotors need resurfacing??? Service department has to knowledge as how this happened, 3. picked up the car and the problem was identical as before. 4 next appointment was to get the Xylon coating applied as well as the interior treatment applied (purchased their protection Plan). Also, the two dings that we found at the time of look over were to be repaired by their dent wizard company. Plus the rotors has to be replaced.

The car was dropped off at the dealership at 7:30 and i was the 2nd car into a bay. 1:45Pm i received a call from service that they couldn't find the wheel lock that was in my glove box. So this means the rotors weren't even started yet. 3:30 i get a call that the car was done and ready to pick-up.
When i looked at the invoice, the ONLY service performed was the rotors, NOT the dings repaired, NOT the interior of exterior treatment and NOT the 2nd row seating rattle. that is annoying as hell.

From everything that you are saying, you have a DEALERSHIP problem - not a Ford problem. Give Crystal exactly what she asked you for and do what her and your CS manager will tell you to do! Ford will do you right, unfortunatly not all dealerships have competent people in the service dept and the one you happen to be going to is one of them.

Next time try to keep your cool and give credit where it is due. Bashing Ford does not get your issues resolved.

I for one completely understand your frustration. You spend all this money on an SUV and then you are disappointed. You post your concerns to this site and they call your posts "troll posts", so what ? Call what you want, bottom line it is easy to talk when it isn't your money being spent. KjElliot, I am absolutely positive your problem will be taken care of but I guarantee you are thinking as I am about the quality and future issues that might arise. Don't listen to these guys bashing you, they either own stock in Ford or are on Ford's payroll. I believe we have every right to voice our concerns as it is information being shared which will eventually help others if they are having the same problem. Don't be discouraged, there are some good people on these forums. Next thing they will accuse you of is "it's your fault !!! You did not maintain the seat !!!". Good luck.

Thanks

Hi kjelliott6712,

Let's see what I can do to help quiet down your Explorer. How many miles are on it? I'll get to work on some options, but be advised that if you retain the services of an attorney, I won't be able to assist as I don't have legal training.

Crystal

Any assistance with these issues would be greatly appreciated Crystal.

Thank.
Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

kjelliott6712, did you get the rattle in the 2nd row seats fixed? If you did, what was the fix?

I have a 2015 Explorer Limited. I have a vibration and rattling sound coming from the seat back on the 2nd row drivers side seat. The 2nd row seat is the 60/40 bench style seat. If someone is sitting in the seat it doesn't vibrate and rattle. Another issue I have is that the seat belt buckle rattles against the side plastic door molding on the 2nd row seat. I have to connect the seat belt even though there is no one sitting in the back seat to stop the seat belt from rattling against the plastic molding. Anyone else have these problems and have them fixed?

Back