2015 PIU Brakes are "Fleet" the way to go? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 PIU Brakes are "Fleet" the way to go?

Eric Z

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Explorer PIU
Ok so I know brakes are an issue covered before, but... My Ford Dealer says I will need new brake pads soon at 36K miles. Stopped in at NAPA and was told the PIU brakes are stock item, but listed as coming out of "Fleet". Not sure if those are metallic, ceramic or what and also not sure how those compare with MotorCraft. Would appreciate knowing what others are doing with regards to pads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford OE pads FR or RR can be had for ~$45 (~$55 delivered) autonation wbl. I haven't seen the Napa FR or RR fleet pads that cheap (usually $70-80, unless you know someone at a pd/fleet and can buy them for contract price, usually ~$40-45).

There are a lot of fleets that spec NAPA parts including pads/rotors, and they are certified for police use by AMECA/LINK, but I don't usually opt for aftermarket parts if I can get OE parts for the same or less.

So call this a long term follow-up. Went with the OEM brake rotors and pads, installed by Ford Dealer. Now less than 20k miles later (in normal civilian use), PIU back at Ford Dealer for another set of rear pads and rotors (plus full brake fluid change). Dealer says; winter here in Minnesota hard on brakes, what with all the road salt. Rear pads and rotors lasting less than 20k miles just seems wrong to me :(

I put on Carquest Severe duty police pads and rotors that I got from Advance. From what the guy at the counter said its the same that fleet gets for my local PD. I swapped them about 2 months ago, no problems so far. Glad I went with them

Isn’t book time for front and rear around 2 hours?

I replaced mine with Power stop Z23. They’ll a little over $60 on Amazon and work great IMO.

Rear pads and rotors lasting less than 20k miles just seems wrong to me :(

I agree. I'm at 26k miles, and my brakes are fine all around. Granted, that's 2 years of Florida-only driving.

Back