• Register Today It's free!

2015 PIU Exhaust

Eric Z

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Explorer PIU
Ok I know the issue of exhaust leaks has been covered, but my question is a bit different. Long story, short version..... The place that de-commissioned my PIU (I am told) used a forklift to unload my vehicle. I had the driveshaft replaced BEFORE purchase as that was obviously damaged. What I did not notice, is that my exhaust seems to have a number of odd bends and maybe even a patch or 2, towards the front coming off the exhaust manifolds. Can't seem to find pictures of what OEM exhaust should look like, so not sure. Also, is it true these are stainless steel pipes? My exhaust does sound a bit odd, but not looking to change to real loud setup, just back to original. Any ideas on pricing and is this something a normal shop can handle or is everything special order? I will try to post picture of mine soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe there's any aftermarket exhausts for the PIUs. I haven't compared to the aftermarket options for the retail explorer exhaust to see if anything there was close or could be modified to work.

I would assume any decent local exhaust shop can bend/cut/weld something for you, but cost and quality are going to be your big variables.

Last time I looked, the OEM parts were ~$200 for the front section and ~$400 for the rear section plus any gaskets/studs/bolts/nuts you might need.

I don't believe there's any aftermarket exhausts for the PIUs. I haven't compared to the aftermarket options for the retail explorer exhaust to see if anything there was close or could be modified to work.

I would assume any decent local exhaust shop can bend/cut/weld something for you, but cost and quality are going to be your big variables.

Last time I looked, the OEM parts were ~$200 for the front section and ~$400 for the rear section plus any gaskets/studs/bolts/nuts you might need.
Ok so this is the section most in question. Looks to me like it was crushed and just covered, so cosmetically looks ok, but question is, is this now a restriction in the exhaust flow?
exhaust.jpg

Ok so this is the section most in question. Looks to me like it was crushed and just covered, so cosmetically looks ok, but question is, is this now a restriction in the exhaust flow? View attachment 157188
AND the odd part is that the only Ford drawing I find of the PIU exhaust, seems to show the same indentation I see on mine.
Ford Exhaust.jpg

I think that's normal. The wrap might have been a little extra protection or heat shielding, but I don't think that's a patch.

As I work on my new project PIU, I've noticed that Ford puts wraps and shields everywhere.

Back