2015 PIU Speaker Issue | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2015 PIU Speaker Issue

Eric Z

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Explorer PIU
Just bought a 2015 PIU and in the process of getting it all sorted out. Odd problem with the radio. The speakers in the rear doors seem to work fine (even though the door panels have no grill openings) the fronts however do not work at all. Checked that there are speakers in the doors and that they are connected, checked the fader control it is in middle, no hanging wires at the back of stereo unit and no cut wires that I could easily see. Is it common for PIU's to have the front door speakers disconnected? I know there is no front center speaker, is my lack of front sound related to that? Dealer wants $150 just to diagnose, and suggests I just buy a used radio online and see if that solves the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Just wanted to say welcome to the Forum Eric.:wave:

Peter

<

jmr061

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Exp Sport
Download the police modifier's guide for the ford police interceptor (google search). There was an option to order them disconnected. Info is likely in there.

<

Eric Z

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Explorer PIU
Just wanted to say welcome to the Forum Eric.:wave:

Peter
Thanks Peter. This Forum has helped me get the rear doors working, the rear windows and NOW the front speakers :) !!!

<

Eric Z

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Explorer PIU
Download the police modifier's guide for the ford police interceptor (google search). There was an option to order them disconnected. Info is likely in there.
Jason you are correct kind sir. The Guide had what I needed on page 2-67. I had seen that guide before, but only skimmed thru it. Guess I should make it a complete read as it seems full of info. Also used it to remove 100+ feet of wiring left behind after my PIU was taken out of service. All the wires were just cut and left hot when the battery was re-connected, a very bad thing when I found the two(2) 50 amp circuits going back into the rear compartment not even taped off :(

<