• Register Today It's free!

PIU Front Speaker Issue

Eric Z

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Explorer PIU
Just bought a 2015 PIU and in the process of getting it all sorted out. Odd problem with the radio. The speakers in the rear doors seem to work fine (even though the door panels have no grill openings) the fronts however do not work at all. Checked that there are speakers in the doors and that they are connected, checked the fader control it is in middle, no hanging wires at the back of stereo unit and no cut wires that I could easily see. Is it common for PIU's to have the front door speakers disconnected? I know there is no front center speaker, is my lack of front sound related to that? Dealer wants $150 just to diagnose, and suggests I just buy a used radio online and see if that solves the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to say welcome to the Forum Eric.:wave:

Peter

Download the police modifier's guide for the ford police interceptor (google search). There was an option to order them disconnected. Info is likely in there.

Just wanted to say welcome to the Forum Eric.:wave:

Peter
Thanks Peter. This Forum has helped me get the rear doors working, the rear windows and NOW the front speakers :) !!!

Download the police modifier's guide for the ford police interceptor (google search). There was an option to order them disconnected. Info is likely in there.
Jason you are correct kind sir. The Guide had what I needed on page 2-67. I had seen that guide before, but only skimmed thru it. Guess I should make it a complete read as it seems full of info. Also used it to remove 100+ feet of wiring left behind after my PIU was taken out of service. All the wires were just cut and left hot when the battery was re-connected, a very bad thing when I found the two(2) 50 amp circuits going back into the rear compartment not even taped off :(

Just bought a 2015 PIU and in the process of getting it all sorted out. Odd problem with the radio. The speakers in the rear doors seem to work fine (even though the door panels have no grill openings) the fronts however do not work at all. Checked that there are speakers in the doors and that they are connected, checked the fader control it is in middle, no hanging wires at the back of stereo unit and no cut wires that I could easily see. Is it common for PIU's to have the front door speakers disconnected? I know there is no front center speaker, is my lack of front sound related to that? Dealer wants $150 just to diagnose, and suggests I just buy a used radio online and see if that solves the issue. Any help would be appreciated.
How did you get front speakers to work? I don't understand the pdf download .

Radio works, rear works , front speakers are good ,Fade works for rear and when placed to front no sound. Is this a function that needs enabling with forscan?

Radio works, rear works , front speakers are good ,Fade works for rear and when placed to front no sound. Is this a function that needs enabling with forscan?
Chances are that they are not connected. That's not unusual for a PIU.

Peter

Chances are that they are not connected. That's not unusual for a PIU.

Peter
I checked connections on door panels and behind center console all connected.

Back