2015 PTU Fluid Change - Heat shield removal question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 PTU Fluid Change - Heat shield removal question

kars85

Reaction score
City, State
Ames, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I plan on sucking the fluid out of my 2015 NA's PTU tomorrow, refilling with Amsoil 75-140 severe duty. So I snuck a peak while the kids were sleeping to identify where I'd be working, etc...

My build has a heat shield covering the fill plug, and there looks to be at least (3) 8mm bolts holding it on. Maybe more, but that's all I could see. 2 of which I can get to reasonably easy. The 3rd being in a vertical orientation I'm not quite sure how to get to yet.

So, my question is - I've searched the forum and have not seen anyone show evidence of a heat shield obstructing their mityvac/pump fill through the 3/8 fill plug like in my case which makes me concerned. Has anyone who has a '15 NA with no drain plug comment on the heatshield removal to get to the fill plug?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I changed the gear oil in the PTU with just a fill plug on my '15 NA just recently but I didn't have to remove a heat shield. There may have been one on the cat which is super close but can't remember. It was a tight fit but there was enough room for my hand to get up in there.

Appreciate you commenting. I'm 99% sure then I wasn't looking in the right place. I looked around by the header down pipe where the cat you're talking about was, but must have still been off.

I have this tutorial printed off from a member here - can you confirm that the instructions for his '11 are right for our vehicles?
Here's his thread: PTU and Rear Diff Fluid Change - 2011 Explorer XLT

Direct link to his PDF
Rear Differential and PTU Fluid Change.pdf

That link looks correct for my exp. I could be mistaken on how near the cat was as I’m trying to picture everything in my head from crap memory. Are you looking from underneath? Follow the passenger side drive axle to the ptu. Fill plug should be easy to spot once you get that far.

That link looks correct for my exp. I could be mistaken on how near the cat was as I’m trying to picture everything in my head from crap memory. Are you looking from underneath? Follow the passenger side drive axle to the ptu. Fill plug should be easy to spot once you get that far.

Now I'm positive I was oriented wrong looking from underneath. For some reason, I was fixated on something I had read about being under from the drivers side and looking on that half of the vehicle, probably someone who had a ecoboost using the vent pipe method to fill/drain. Who know at this point.

Thanks again.

Got it done with minimal problems. Couldn't imagine doing it without a shop air extractor like the mityvac 7300. Extracted 9 oz out, after taking extra care to make sure I got every bit out that I could. Refilled with 17 oz before reaching the fill hole. So, that means it was 8 oz below the fill port off the factory line. :eek:

C3JfH33.jpg

I looked up that mityvac. that's pretty slick. I may have to invest in one before I do the ptu change again.

Back