• Register Today It's free!

2015 Sport MIA

Southern Yankee

Reaction score
City, State
Central Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
I ordered a 2015 sport on 9/27/14, I was called the second week of October and told it would be built the 3rd week of october, my dealer confirmed the build and I received the VIN.,and since that time the story is it had been sitting in "the lot" , as of this week it is still in the lot awaiting train assignment with no further info other then we are short of train cars.
Meanwhile other explorers ordered the same day/week and later have arrived at the dealership according to my salesman.
They seem to be getting the run around with the Reps they are dealing with and getting no where.
Obviously I am frustrated, can anyone shed any light on their experience with a similar situation?
As I write this I just got a call from my dealer stating it is on a railcar in Illinois and scheduled to arrive in Orlando, fl. 12/22/14, maybe 2 more days till it gets to my dealer
I guess we will see. 16 days in shipment, 18 days till I get to see it, will seem like at least a month to me at this point.
Thanks for letting me rant, Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand your frustration. Picked up my sport yesterday after it had finally arrived in Colorado Springs on Thursday afternoon. From the stories I get it apparently sat on a transporter at the rail yards in Denver for about 10 days. Anyhow, best of luck.

Southern Yankee,

All of us who special ordered Explorers know your pain and have gone through this. They had the same train shortage issue last year around the Holidays. Mine sat 4 weeks in the factory holding yard before shipping this summer. I swear time slows down when you are waiting for a special order vehicle and then it speeds up after you get it. Hope your new sport arrives soon. Your arrival date makes it a Christmas present.

thanks guys, I have over the years special ordered several fords, from mustang to e-350 vans , never had this long a wait, 3 months from order to possible receipt of vehicle.

This is not the way to garner continued support for a brand, especially when I have purchased more the 8 personal and over thirty Ford business vehicles since 1967.

But , it is what it is, I'll just have to wait , and hope it gets here and in my hands before Christmas.

thanks guys, I have over the years special ordered several fords, from mustang to e-350 vans , never had this long a wait, 3 months from order to possible receipt of vehicle.

This is not the way to garner continued support for a brand, especially when I have purchased more the 8 personal and over thirty Ford business vehicles since 1967.

But , it is what it is, I'll just have to wait , and hope it gets here and in my hands before Christmas.

Ford (Michigan) is stating 8-12 weeks for special orders of Ford Explorers now but dealers are still saying 6-8 since most of their stock orders are taking that long. Not sure why special orders are taking longer but most delays are from production to shipping. Ford is having challenges with explorer production since the demand is so high and the Chicago plant works 12-10 hour shifts per week to produce them and about one shift per week makes the Lincoln model and the police interceptor version that is 50% of the total US police vehicle demand. Train shortages is a major issue for Ford and other manufacturers now. If you buy off the dealer lot you would never notice this unless you want specific options and notice the dealer does not stock one with everything you may want and then you special order and time seems to stop until you get it.

Hang in there and all of the other special order buyers feel your pain! From my perspective the wait is worth it. Mine was 10 weeks from order to delivery. Spent 4 weeks in the rail yard at Chicago waiting for a train to Denver.

...I guess we will see. 16 days in shipment, 18 days till I get to see it, will seem like at least a month to me at this point.
Thanks for letting me rant, Bob

Hi Bob,

Congrats on ordering! The waiting is the hardest part, but once your Explorer is in the driveway, the wait will be nothing more than a distant memory. :) If you'd like, I'll be happy to keep an eye on your Explorer's status as it finalizes its journey to the dealership. Just send me a PM with your VIN and I'll do the rest. :)

Crystal

Thank you Crystal,
That would be great! I'll PM you right away.
Bob

I can confirm with you that there is indeed a train car shortage. This has nothing to do with Ford although one would feel that it does. I've been on several forums and people are being told the same thing.. shortage of rail cars for some reason at least within the past month.

This was also an issue back in the April/May/June timeframe.

UPDATE
Well my Sport came in 12/19, 3 days ahead of the initial due date to the Orlando train yards, and my dealer Jarret-Gordon Ford in Davenport sent 2 men to get it and drive it back to the dealership.
It was prepped and ready for me to pick up at 10AM the next morning!
She's a beauty, and in hind site well worth the wait.
Crystal was very helpful in my "hour of need"
And my dealer was very understanding about my feelings with the unexpected delay in shipping, and came through with 5 stars.

UPDATE
Well my Sport came in 12/19, 3 days ahead of the initial due date to the Orlando train yards, and my dealer Jarret-Gordon Ford in Davenport sent 2 men to get it and drive it back to the dealership.
It was prepped and ready for me to pick up at 10AM the next morning!
She's a beauty, and in hind site well worth the wait.
Crystal was very helpful in my "hour of need"
And my dealer was very understanding about my feelings with the unexpected delay in shipping, and came through with 5 stars.

Awesome news, Southern Yankee! I can't wait to see some pictures. :)

Crystal

Congrats Southern Yankee! Glad you got it before Christmas and it apparently is all you expected.

Back