• Register Today It's free!

2015 Sport - PTU problems

GINA WILKS

Reaction score
City, State
ELLERSLIE, GA 31807
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 FORD EXPLORER SPORT
I took my Explorer in about 1 year ago with a noise underneath when in reverse. Dealership determined PTU issue and fixed. It was still under warranty/ess than 60k. This past week, the vehicle started the same noise, again (now at 89K). Plus, a really bad odor and leaking a fluid (which I forgot to mention to them but figured the tech would find when examining the PTU). I took in and they said that they ran tests and it was "out of time". Out of time? This vehicle runs GREAT! No skipping, stalling... Said vehicle had bad timing and it would cost $900 just to break it down and find the issue. Worst case - $700 parts and another $900 to put it back. Asked them about the PTU issue and they said the tech checked the codes, reset and it wasn't doing it anymore. Desk person told me all this, not the tech. I told them I did not understand how timing and a code could cause issues with the noise/grinding when in reverse. They even said they did not put on the rack. So, I know they didn't even check the PTU and see the leak. It appears the leak is dripping on the exhaust to burn and create that God awful smell.
I have decided to take to another ford dealership and see what they say. Not sure if this has been an issue with these vehicles. But, wonder since it was in warranty at the time the fixed the first time and is doing the same thing again, that the previous fix would keep it as a issue that was NOT REALLY fixed. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At 30k more, no it would not be covered. Warranty repair is only covered till the warranty is out. If it was done at 59k, it would only be covered till 60k regardless.

As blwnsmoke said, the warranty ends @ 60km miles unless there's proof that the first repair didn't fix the issue.
Not sure you can say it wasn't fixed the first time. You put on another 30K miles, which I assume didn't have this issue again until recently.

I think you're right in getting a 2nd opinion though. Based on your description, not sure how the "out of time" engine(I assume something to do with the timing chain and adjusters) would cause a grinding noise only in reverse.

The warranty on genuine Ford and Motorcraft replacement parts is 24 months. So if the repair was done at a Ford dealership a year ago, the parts should still be covered.
What I'm not sure about is if that also applies to parts replaced under the OEM warranty.

Peter

I took my Explorer in about 1 year ago with a noise underneath when in reverse. Dealership determined PTU issue and fixed. It was still under warranty/ess than 60k. This past week, the vehicle started the same noise, again (now at 89K). Plus, a really bad odor and leaking a fluid (which I forgot to mention to them but figured the tech would find when examining the PTU). I took in and they said that they ran tests and it was "out of time". Out of time? This vehicle runs GREAT! No skipping, stalling... Said vehicle had bad timing and it would cost $900 just to break it down and find the issue. Worst case - $700 parts and another $900 to put it back. Asked them about the PTU issue and they said the tech checked the codes, reset and it wasn't doing it anymore. Desk person told me all this, not the tech. I told them I did not understand how timing and a code could cause issues with the noise/grinding when in reverse. They even said they did not put on the rack. So, I know they didn't even check the PTU and see the leak. It appears the leak is dripping on the exhaust to burn and create that God awful smell.
I have decided to take to another ford dealership and see what they say. Not sure if this has been an issue with these vehicles. But, wonder since it was in warranty at the time the fixed the first time and is doing the same thing again, that the previous fix would keep it as a issue that was NOT REALLY fixed. Any suggestions?
Welcome to the Forum Gina.:wave:
See my post above. Also, I have read here that taking a supposedly fixed repair to another dealership will not always be a welcomed thing by the new dealer as they didn't have anything to do with the original 'repair'. Good luck.

Peter

I would have someone check the PTU oil - better fill it back to the top ASAP.

So resetting the codes caused the grinding to stop?

My 2014 Sport had the stench, but not the grinding (yet) at ~55K miles. First time to the dealer they found a oil leak at the turbo and called it fixed. For the 2nd trip to dealer (at ~60K miles) I had the SSM number (#45053) and they found the PTU leaking and replaced it. They botched the install and it took 2 more tries for them to get the gasket/seal installed correctly. I bought the the Explorer Certified Pre-Owned thankfully. So everything was covered and they gave me a loner car each time.

Link to PTU thread with some info: PTU Problems

SSM Description:
SSM #45053 2007-2015 Various Vehicles Equipped With All Wheel Drive - Propane, Or Natural Gas Odor During Idle Or Low Speed Driving
Some 2013-2015 MKZ vehicles equipped with a 3.7L, 2007-2014 Edge, 2007-2015 MKX, 2011-2015 Explorer, 2009-2015 Flex, 2010-2015 MKT, 2008-2015 Taurus, 2008-2009Taurus X, 2009-2015 MKS, 2007-2012 Fusion/MKZ, and 2007-2011 Milan vehicles equipped with a PTU may exhibit a propane, or natural gas odor from the HVAC systemafter driving the vehicle for 20-45 minutes. This odor, if present, is most noticeable while idling or during low speed driving. Inspect the PTU for fluid leaks and repair any leaks per Workshop Manual Section 308-07B. If odor is still present after the leak repair and cleaning, replace the PTU and vent hose, if equipped. For vehicles with no leaks and odor present, replace the PTU along with thePTU vent hose, if equipped. Refer to Section 7 of the SLTS manual for the appropriate labor operations.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 15-APRIL-2015​

-jw

Back