2015 Sport 40/60 Seat Removal

bepnewt

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello, folks.

My wife's 2015 Sport has a rear (drivers side) seat that needs replaced - we'll just gloss over the battery acid that leaked all over it...

She has the 60/40 seats, black leather, not electric or heated or cooled.

I did search the forums here on how to remove them, but didn't find any instructions. I did learn a lot about buckets vs. console, no carpet if you remove your console, inflatable seatbelts (didn't know that was a thing), and airbag lights. Very enlightening, for sure, as I'm now worried that the seats I ordered from the salvage yard won't have the right seatbelts. Looking at her seatbelts, they do appear to be "hollow" so I guess hers are inflatable. I'll cross that bridge soon. First, the seat removal.

I have removed the 2 nuts and 2 bolts from both the 60 side and the 40 side at the front of the seats. I see how the seats "latch" onto the bars in the back. It seemed like it should be pretty simple - remove the nuts and bolts, slide the seat(s) back a little, then lift straight up to get the seats off of the 4 welded bolts in front. I worried about the angle, but the plates that the the bolts go through swivel a little.

I am able to slide the seats back to get them off of the bars that they latch into. But, I can't seem to get them to lift up and off. Is there something I'm missing, besides upper body strength and leverage?

TIA,
-BEP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I just saw a video of a guy's 2017 Explorer where his second row seats fold forward.

If ours does that, I'm embarrassed. We've had this Explorer for about 3 year and I didn't know it would do that. I'm going to go out and check.

-BEP

Voila! Of course the 2nd row seats fold forward, how else would people get back there if they have the middle console? So sad that I missed this. We've never used the 3rd row seats; they've always been down so I've never needed to learn this and never saw the embossed instructions on the side black plastic piece.

So, for anyone needing to remove their 40/60 2nd row seats, this is the process:

1. On both the 60 and 40 side, there are 2 bolts and 2 nuts at the front part of the seat that secure the seat to the frame. Use a 15mm wrench and/or socket to get these off.
  2. Disconnect any electrical connectors. Mine had 1 on each seat which I assume wire up to the receptacle side of the inflatable seat belts. I assume yours may have more (heat/air?) or less (no inflatable belts?).
  3. Pull the handle that folds the seats down, then pull it again and fold the seats forward.
  4. Lift the seats off of the bolts.
I'll attach a pic of the seat so you can see what a little bit of battery acid can do to your seat. The damage got worse over time as the acid kept eating away at the seat and foam.

-BEP

mQ3usL3.png

zQUINfs.png

Voila! Of course the 2nd row seats fold forward, how else would people get back there if they have the middle console? So sad that I missed this. We've never used the 3rd row seats; they've always been down so I've never needed to learn this and never saw the embossed instructions on the side black plastic piece.

So, for anyone needing to remove their 40/60 2nd row seats, this is the process:

1. On both the 60 and 40 side, there are 2 bolts and 2 nuts at the front part of the seat that secure the seat to the frame. Use a 15mm wrench and/or socket to get these off.
  2. Disconnect any electrical connectors. Mine had 1 on each seat which I assume wire up to the receptacle side of the inflatable seat belts. I assume yours may have more (heat/air?) or less (no inflatable belts?).
  3. Pull the handle that folds the seats down, then pull it again and fold the seats forward.
  4. Lift the seats off of the bolts.
I'll attach a pic of the seat so you can see what a little bit of battery acid can do to your seat. The damage got worse over time as the acid kept eating away at the seat and foam.

-BEP

View attachment 317808

View attachment 317809

Thanks - was wondering if I could remove one side of a 60/40 setup.

Thanks - was wondering if I could remove one side of a 60/40 setup.
Welcome to the Forum Harry. :wave:
Saw a picture of the van. Ouch! :eek:

Peter

Back