2015 wheels on a 2014? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 wheels on a 2014?

smashclash

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
My wife and I are considering getting a 2014 XLT. It has the 18" wheels. My wife really wants the 20" wheels that are common on the Limiteds. I see there is a set of 20" wheel and tires on craigslist off a 2015 limited. Would this be a simple plug and play or does the sensor in the wheels that measure tire pressure somehow need to be paired to the vehicle? Are there any other things to consider when swapping out the wheels?

My wife and I are considering getting a 2014 XLT. It has the 18" wheels. My wife really wants the 20" wheels that are common on the Limiteds. I see there is a set of 20" wheel and tires on craigslist off a 2015 limited. Would this be a simple plug and play or does the sensor in the wheels that measure tire pressure somehow need to be paired to the vehicle? Are there any other things to consider when swapping out the wheels?
The TPMS on the 'new' set would have to be programed to your Explorer. According to several posts here this can be done by just driving and eventually it will retrain itself. I have the dealer do it when I swap the OEM for the Winter wheels.

Peter

And if you don't mind me asking what does the dealer charge you to reprogram the wheels? I have a hard time envisioning they do it out if the goodness of their heart.

And if you don't mind me asking what does the dealer charge you to reprogram the wheels? I have a hard time envisioning they do it out if the goodness of their heart.
It has never been shown as a separate line charge on the invoice. It is always included with the wheel changeover summary which they didn't charge me for the last time. Perhaps it was considered a 'tire rotation' and part of the oil change service. Going back in on the 26th to get the Winter wheels put back on. I imagine every dealer may have their own charge for just the 'retraining' so it might be better to contact dealers in your area for pricing.

Peter

Back