• Register Today It's free!

2015 XLT Full Audio Overhaul

Mackus84

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I got my 2015 Explorer XLT back in January after my 2004 Eddie Bauer tranny went out on me for the 2nd time 🙄. Its Tuxedo Black, dual sunroof/moonroof. Black leather with suede inserts. Bucket seats in the 2nd Row. It has the Tow, 202B equipment/appearance packages, 20" premium wheels with painted pockets. Blis everything. Only options i can think of it DOESNT HAVE is the rear entertainment, ambient lighting, and the sony stuff. So I Just wanted to share with yall my upgrades and experience. In case anyone is wanting some more info, feel free to ask away!
My configuration consists of the 8" MFT with Voice Nav. NON-Sony 9 speaker "premium" system. Components in doors, center dash speaker( which btw is STILL powered with all the other speakers disconnected) rear doors were the 6.5s i think and also have the 3.5's in the rear wheel well area. 60k miles. Paid $18000 Out the Door for it in BEAUTIFUL condition... Oh and also has the stock 200 or 220amp alternator. I forgot which.
Anyways, I had 2 Rockford P3D4-12's paired with a Rockford R2-1200X1 that I kept out of my old Explorer. I had them in a custom Ported enclosure I built but it didnt fit the new ride without losing my 3rd Row. So I built a new sealed enclosure that sits just about flush with the hatch opening in the cargo area. Subs facing up.
Then it sat for a couple months while gathering everything i needed to do it "right" this time around. I'll give more detail if anyone wants some info but Ill make a numbered list of the audio upgrades everything.
1) Sky High Big3 1/0 upgrade kit
2) Sky High 1/0 amp kit
3) Factory MyFord Touch SYNC2
4) Rockford DSR1(scrapped that plan) and got a Brazilian DSP for like 120 bucks.
5) Idatalink DFO2 harness
6) Rockford Fosgate R1675 components for the front doors
7) Rockford Fosgate 6.5" 3 way coax for the rear doors.
8) Rockford Fosgate p132 3.5" 2-way coaxs in the back wheel well spots
9) RF R2-500x4 for the doors
10) RF R2-1200X1 for the subs.
For my amp turn on I used fuse #42 in the passenger compartment which is an UNUSED SWITCHED/keyed slot.
I just got the new DSP in the mail today so havent wired it in yet. So as of now I have it off a 10 dollar dbLink LOC until tomorrow but it STILL sounds great as is but I want it to sound AMAZING. Ask away if yall want and I can fill ya in w what I can from my experiences!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the 5th gen Forum. :wave:

Peter

So, in order to put a sub in if wired up with one of the high/low RCA converters through the rear speaker wires, do you have to have some kind of sound ink device like you do with the brand new FORDs, so the bass doesn't max out prematurely?

So, in order to put a sub in if wired up with one of the high/low RCA converters through the rear speaker wires, do you have to have some kind of sound ink device like you do with the brand new FORDs, so the bass doesn't max out prematurely?
Technically, yes. something that flattens the factory signal.....
OR do what I did and disable factory sound processing and Ialso enabled the factory front speaker outputs to be 4v Variable Line level preouts instead. i did this thru Forscan. Not hard at all. Then I simply wired up some rcas to those factory frnt speaker wires and straight into my DSP Inputs. No hi lo convertor necessary

Edit: Going through your HD pictures, I found my answer, thank you for posting your build, I bet it sounds amazing, I have a single P3 dvc4ohm, I wish I have the money 🤑 to copy and paste onto mine :) .
Did you need to use any speaker adapters? I have a 2015 explorer xlt without the Sony stuff. I have a pioneer 5500cnex 8 inch screen, looking to add my sub to that, but haven't started yet because I can't find any info on being able to just add or remove the factory 6.5 in door speakers with or without a speaker adapter. Crutchfield keeps suggesting 6x9 adapters but I don't have the Sony head unit.
I already ran the RCA's and remote wire to the back. Passing the 4ga power cable next week along with my amp remote.
Thanks for posting your build!

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back