2016-18 Explorer PIU Key Fob Programming | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016-18 Explorer PIU Key Fob Programming

My 2017 PIU came with the 3 button fob. I ordered a secondary fob, same model number. I asked a Ford dealership to program it, but he tried the process twice and couldn't seem to make it work.
Does anyone know if you are limited to only 1 fob?
They hold up to four fobs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Every Explorer should come with 2 fobs.

Peter

They hold up to four fobs.
Thanks so much Jason & Peter! I wonder what the issue was then? Now that I'm thinking more about it, maybe I should have put in a fresh battery! Luckily I do business at 3 different Ford dealerships, so I should be able to get another chance to ask for programming again. I don't think he was experienced with PIUs, is there anything the tech could have possibly overlooked with the procedure? I copied and texted myself the procedure from earlier in the thread to have for the next attempt.

Thanks so much Jason & Peter! I wonder what the issue was then? Now that I'm thinking more about it, maybe I should have put in a fresh battery! Luckily I do business at 3 different Ford dealerships, so I should be able to get another chance to ask for programming again. I don't think he was experienced with PIUs, is there anything the tech could have possibly overlooked with the procedure? I copied and texted myself the procedure from earlier in the thread to have for the next attempt.

Have you tried doing it yourself?

Have you tried doing it yourself?
To do that, you require 2 programmed coded keys and a spare. If you only have 1 key, the manual says to have the dealer program the 2nd one.
BTW, the system will hold up to 8 programmed Integrated Keyhead Transmitters.
"Programming a Spare Integrated
Keyhead Transmitter
Note: You can program a maximum of eight
coded keys to your vehicle. All eight can be
integrated keyhead transmitters."

Peter

To do that, you require 2 programmed coded keys and a spare. If you only have 1 key, the manual says to have the dealer program the 2nd one.
BTW, the system will hold up to 8 programmed Integrated Keyhead Transmitters.
"Programming a Spare Integrated
Keyhead Transmitter
Note: You can program a maximum of eight
coded keys to your vehicle. All eight can be
integrated keyhead transmitters."

Peter

The manual says a lot of things, Peter, especially since (I presume) you're talking about civilian models which use an entirely different remote. I say our friend has nothing to lose by trying.

The Police Utility doesn't use PATS or chip keys. They use "fleet" keys which do not need to be programmed. Just get a key cut and use it.

The '16 and later fobs cannot be enabled via the rapid on and off of the ignition, as the previous models. These need to be programmed via IDS at the dealer. The tech enters the 48 digit code found inside the remote fob.

The Police Utility doesn't use PATS or chip keys. They use "fleet" keys which do not need to be programmed. Just get a key cut and use it.

The '16 and later fobs cannot be enabled via the rapid on and off of the ignition, as the previous models. These need to be programmed via IDS at the dealer. The tech enters the 48 digit code found inside the remote fob.
That does seem to be the case as the manual for the 2017 PIU states;

REPLACING A LOST KEY OR REMOTE CONTROL
Replacement keys or remote controls can be purchased from an authorized dealer. Authorized dealers can program remote controls for your vehicle.

Peter

The manual says a lot of things, Peter, especially since (I presume) you're talking about civilian models which use an entirely different remote. I say our friend has nothing to lose by trying.
You are correct. It's my mistake in that I forgot the member mentions a 2017 PIU and I got sidetracked when I looked at the profile info where it said "Base". :banghead:

My update: 2nd attempt with the same tech did not work. Used a fresh battery & I copied and gave him the specific directions from this thread, but no luck. Next step is bringing the fob to an AutoZone or similar store that has a display where you can check to see if your transmitter is working properly. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Hello, first time posting in this forum. If this is too long, please let me know. I have a 2017 PIU that I am getting familiar with and I thought I would post some of what I've learned/found to help others, and also maybe summarize what's been posted so far. I have a few questions as well, so I'll put those out there first.

My questions:
Who's successfully programmed RKEs with ForScan? (If so, what adapter do you use? ; I also read in another thread that the driver's door has to be open for this to work? (True or False?) I've tried programming 3 RKEs with Forscan but all have failed, but I had the drivers door closed.)

Who's successfully programmed RKEs with IDS? (If so, what adapter do you use? I agree with what was said before about the free IDS software out there about using a VM, or dedicated laptop as the "free" .exe to start the IDS software is identified as a virus.)

Current good information I've found: (Maybe this could be a "sticky" thread somewhere)
Ignition Keys:

The blank Key is a Ford H75 Blank. You can get 10 Keys for $20 on Ebay...

Ford Fleet Keys:
These should open all doors, and maybe start the vehicle?, etc... 1284X might** work for 2016+ PIUs (I'm waiting to confirm)
I bought one to test here: Ford 1284X Replacement Key, 0001X - 1706X Lock Series - EasyKeys.com
A full set can be bought here: 7 Ford Fleet Key Pentesting Set ~ 1284x 0151x 1294x 0576x 1435x 0135x

His list in the video description includes "1996-Present Police Interceptor * Fleet keys only"

What Fobs to use:
The 2016+ Police Utility vehicles require the use of RKE part GB5Z-15K601-A (red panic-sedan) or GB5Z-15K601-C (blue liftgate-utility).
Prior model year RKE fobs cannot be used on 2016+ vehicles even though they look similar.
Differences in how they work are outlined in the Forscan programming video link below.

2016+ PIU RKE programming:

You need the 3 button fob for 2016+ which is different from the 2015 and earlier. You need to activate rke using IDS or forscan.
The old cycle key on/off 8 times method to program fobs doesn't work on 2016+ PIU.
The receiver is already in the vehicles as it is part of the tpms module/system. PIU is 315 MHz. - both fobs will work on sedan and utility.
The 2016+ Police Utility vehicle Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) programming procedure has changed as well as the security protocol for the RKE fob.

Software that can be used to program:
ForScan:

Forscan Explorer specific information:

Confirmed adapters to use with ForScan:
FOB model #GB5Z-15K601-A can be used with FORscan only using OBDLink EX adapter.

Ford IDS:

Remote Keyless Entry Fob Programming – 2016+ Ford Police Utility:

To program using Forscan:

Video Link:

To program the RKE using IDS:

To program 2016+ RKE fobs, use IDS Version 96.03 or later and the VCM-II (VCM-I won’t work).
Select ‘Toolbox’ then ‘Body’, then ‘Security’, and finally ‘Remote Keyless Entry’.
The 48 character string, which is needed for programming, is located on the inside of the fob. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete RKE programming.
Enter’999999′ for the device serial # and follow the 48-character string method.
The 48 character string is located on the label inside the remote.
Once the 48 characters are entered, click on the check tick.
Even though an error screen appears, the remote should be programmed.
Verify by pressing a button. If not, check for the correct 48 characters.

Video Link:

Hello, first time posting in this forum. If this is too long, please let me know. I have a 2017 PIU that I am getting familiar with and I thought I would post some of what I've learned/found to help others, and also maybe summarize what's been posted so far. I have a few questions as well, so I'll put those out there first.
................................................................................
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thank you for the information. I'm sure some members will find that useful.

Peter

My questions:
On the ignition key, can someone provide a good link for the correct ignition blank key to use? (or model/designator? I haven't confirmed yet, but maybe an H75 Blank - ESP H75 - EasyKeys.com)
(REF: The Police Utility doesn't use PATS or chip keys. They use "fleet" keys which do not need to be programmed. Just get a key cut and use it.)

Who's successfully programmed RKEs with ForScan? (If so, what adapter do you use? ; I also read in another thread that the driver's door has to be open for this to work? (True or False?) I've tried programming 3 RKEs with Forscan but all have failed, but I had the drivers door closed.)

Who's successfully programmed RKEs with IDS? (If so, what adapter do you use? I agree with what was said before about the free IDS software out there about using a VM, or dedicated laptop as the "free" .exe to start the IDS software is identified as a virus.)

Current good information I've found: (Maybe this could be a "sticky" thread somewhere)

Ford Fleet Keys:

These should open all doors, and maybe start the vehicle?, etc... 1284X might** work for 2016+ PIUs (I'm waiting to confirm)
I bought one to test here: Ford 1284X Replacement Key, 0001X - 1706X Lock Series - EasyKeys.com
A full set can be bought here: 7 Ford Fleet Key Pentesting Set ~ 1284x 0151x 1294x 0576x 1435x 0135x

His list in the video description includes "1996-Present Police Interceptor * Fleet keys only"

2016+ PIU RKE programming:

You need the 3 button fob for 2016+ which is different from the 2015 and earlier. You need to activate rke using IDS or forscan.
The old cycle key on/off 8 times method to program fobs doesn't work on 2016+ PIU.
The receiver is already in the vehicles as it is part of the tpms module/system. PIU is 315 MHz. - both fobs will work on sedan and utility.
The 2016+ Police Utility vehicle Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) programming procedure has changed as well as the security protocol for the RKE fob.

What Fobs to use:
The 2016+ Police Utility vehicles require the use of RKE part GB5Z-15K601-A (red panic-sedan) or GB5Z-15K601-C (blue liftgate-utility).
Prior model year RKE fobs cannot be used on 2016+ vehicles even though they look similar.
Differences in how they work are outlined in the Forscan programming video link below.

Software that can be used to program:
ForScan:

Forscan Explorer specific information:

Ford IDS:

Remote Keyless Entry Fob Programming – 2016+ Ford Police Utility:

To program using Forscan:

Video Link:

To program the RKE using IDS:

To program 2016+ RKE fobs, use IDS Version 96.03 or later and the VCM-II (VCM-I won’t work).
Select ‘Toolbox’ then ‘Body’, then ‘Security’, and finally ‘Remote Keyless Entry’.
The 48 character string, which is needed for programming, is located on the inside of the fob. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete RKE programming.
Enter’999999′ for the device serial # and follow the 48-character string method.
The 48 character string is located on the label inside the remote.
Once the 48 characters are entered, click on the check tick.
Even though an error screen appears, the remote should be programmed.
Verify by pressing a button. If not, check for the correct 48 characters.

Video Link:

The key blank is indeed H75, I have successfully programed an additional FOB model #GB5Z-15K601-A with FORscan only using OBDLink EX adapter.

The key blank is indeed H75, I have successfully programed an additional FOB model #GB5Z-15K601-A with FORscan only using OBDLink EX adapter.
Great! Thank You. I'll update the information in my original Post.

Back