2016-18 PIU FORScan Mods

PIU770

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford PIU
Hey guys,

A while back I had a 2015 PIU and successfully made a bunch of mods using an OBD connector and FORScan installed on my laptop.
Including: AWD Display, RKE, Dark Car etc.

I am buying a 2016 PIU now, which to my understanding is the next generation and after spending hours and hours on the forums reading through the threads realized that things will not be as simple on this one as the previous gen.

I would like to confirm: If I purchase a hood switch and a FOB (GB5Z-15K601-C or Amazon product ASIN B0184O6PFW) and change the code in FORscan will that allow keyless entry as well as Remote start? or will i have to play around with aftermarket stuff?

will all the the other changes I had in my 2015 work in the newer gen?

Is there an updated comprehensive FORscan code list available for the 2016-18 PIU?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford key fobs will need to be programmed by the dealer with IDS. Cannot be done with Forscan. I used fobs, GB5Z-15K601-C. IF your rig has TPM, it has keyless entry available.

The hood switch can be added, but will not be recognized by the truck, until remote start is enabled via IDS. (Which will NOT give you remote start but will cause the truck to see the switch)

All the remote start options can be enabled with Forscan for the IPC, but you need an aftermarket system to make it work. I bought an almost plug and play Evo-All for mine. Pressing the fob lock button 3 times starts the truck. Originally, when the truck wasn't seeing the hood switch...the remote start still worked. Once the hood switch was recognized....it no longer works with the hood up.

I believe anything else you've mentioned can be done with Forscan.

Ford key fobs will need to be programmed by the dealer with IDS. Cannot be done with Forscan. I used fobs, GB5Z-15K601-C. IF your rig has TPM, it has keyless entry available.

The hood switch can be added, but will not be recognized by the truck, until remote start is enabled via IDS. (Which will NOT give you remote start but will cause the truck to see the switch)

All the remote start options can be enabled with Forscan for the IPC, but you need an aftermarket system to make it work. I bought an almost plug and play Evo-All for mine. Pressing the fob lock button 3 times starts the truck. Originally, when the truck wasn't seeing the hood switch...the remote start still worked. Once the hood switch was recognized....it no longer works with the hood up.

So what I'm collecting from this is, that there is no hidden remote start feature that needs to be unlocked with forscan or IDS code.

But rather I must purchase an aftermarket plug and play kit?

And

To program the key fob, would be the same switch ACC on and off 7 times on 8th keep on locks cycle and programed?

So what I'm collecting from this is, that there is no hidden remote start feature that needs to be unlocked with forscan or IDS code.

But rather I must purchase an aftermarket plug and play kit?
Remote start is built into the vehicle...but must be turned on by a third party system. (Or, a Ford accessory system)

All you can do with Forscan is turn on the options, like how long it runs, etc in the IPC. Before I turned on the options in the IPC, the remote start automatically (as is Ford's default) tried to set the interior to 70 degrees. Under a certain exterior temperature, it also turned on the rear defrost and heated outside mirrors. So, in cold weather it warms the inside...in hot weather it cools.

The kit I bought was something like $135 on eBay. Almost completely plug and play. 12 volt solutions offers a 100% plug and play system, if memory serves.

And

To program the key fob, would be the same switch ACC on and off 7 times on 8th keep on locks cycle and programed?
No. 2016 and later must be programmed via IDS as written above. They need to enter the 48 character code inside each fob..then they work. FWIW, the lock buttons only operate the doors...the hatch button acts the overhead switch giving you 45 seconds or so to open the back door.

No. 2016 and later must be programmed via IDS as written above. They need to enter the 48 character code inside each fob..then they work. FWIW, the lock buttons only operate the doors...the hatch button acts the overhead switch giving you 45 seconds or so to open the back door.
But that can be circumvented by changing the codes for the trunk hatch via forscan.

So I called my local dealer, and they said if it has a regular fleet key then it doesn't have keyless entry option built in. Tried explaining to the guy that they all have the feature and it just needs to be enabled through IDS and then programmed with the 48 number code on the inside of the fob. Then he went off on a rant and just said it's a police interceptor we can't do anything for you sorry.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I'm willing to give up on the remote start, but I would really appreciate having RKE.

So I called my local dealer, and they said if it has a regular fleet key then it doesn't have keyless entry option built in. Tried explaining to the guy that they all have the feature and it just needs to be enabled through IDS and then programmed with the 48 number code on the inside of the fob. Then he went off on a rant and just said it's a police interceptor we can't do anything for you sorry.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I'm willing to give up on the remote start, but I would really appreciate having RKE.
If anybody in the New York area has access to IDS software, and you can do something for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Or direct me where to go.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Call another dealer.
Once that's done...install your own remote start. There are plug in options available.

Factory Remote Start can be enabled as long as the hood switch is added. The FORScan codes are in my spreadsheet linked in my signature. There are also ways to program the keyfobs using FORScan, check out the forum for details on that.

If you need additional codes, please PM me your VIN and I'll try to get an exact list of changes for you.

Factory Remote Start can be enabled as long as the hood switch is added. The FORScan codes are in my spreadsheet linked in my signature. There are also ways to program the keyfobs using FORScan, check out the forum for details on that.
The poster's vehicle is a '16...Forscan cannot program remotes on '16 and later. Must be done with IDS.

You also cannot have the '16 and later utility "see" the hood switch with Forscan. You can enable it to appear in the IPC (which it won't until the r/s start is turned on with ID). To make the truck see the hood switch, the remote start options must be turned on with IDS...then the truck will see the switch. That being said, I was able to use Forscan to turn on the r/s options in the IPC....but you need an aftermarket system to turn the r/s start on and off.

I didn't need the hood switch for my remote start install with a Fortin EvoAll, but once the switch was installed and recognized...the remote start will not work with the hood opened.

I should add that the latest version of Forscan has many items set up as menu items, not need to change binary for many.

The poster's vehicle is a '16...Forscan cannot program remotes on '16 and later. Must be done with IDS.

You also cannot have the '16 and later utility "see" the hood switch with Forscan. You can enable it to appear in the IPC (which it won't until the r/s start is turned on with ID). To make the truck see the hood switch, the remote start options must be turned on with IDS...then the truck will see the switch. That being said, I was able to use Forscan to turn on the r/s options in the IPC....but you need an aftermarket system to turn the r/s start on and off.

I didn't need the hood switch for my remote start install with a Fortin EvoAll, but once the switch was installed and recognized...the remote start will not work with the hood opened.

I should add that the latest version of Forscan has many items set up as menu items, not need to change binary for many.
Do you think if I bring the specific instructions to the dealer, and purchase the fob from them. They'd be more inclined to help me?

Do you think if I bring the specific instructions to the dealer, and purchase the fob from them. They'd be more inclined to help me?
I definitely would...and did. I was fortunate that the tech knew what to do. Now, when it came to the hood switch, I explained what I knew about turning on the remote start for it to appear. Most techs don't modify from factory, so some of this is new to them.

Everything else I did to my truck was done with Forscan.

Based on your VIN, here are relevant changes you may want to make including those for keyless entry:

Auto-lock is currently disabled, change
726-15-01 from 0202 0202 02 to 0101 0101 01

Auto-unlock is currently disabled, change
726-16-01 from 0202 0202 02 to 0101 0101 01

Feature PASE - Passive Entry, Passive Start
726-19-02 from 0202 0202 02 to 0101 0101 01

Remote Start duration is already configured for 15 minutes.
726-20-01

Enable remote start, currently disabled
726-22-02 change 0202 0100 00 to 0201 0100 00

Key Source Config, if you swap to a push button
726-23-01 from 0152 to 0252 (other hardware may be required)

Remote Keyless Entry
726-38-01 change 0000 0100 EA to 0100 0100 EA
726-41-01 change 0100 0001 00 to 0101 0001 00 (may need to be 0104 0001 00)

IPC RKE display
This can be enabled in FORScan through the English settings(not as built)

Before making these changes, back up your BCM and IPC as-built files and check if these options are available in the English menu(easy mode settings in forscan) before programming it with as-built data

I definitely would...and did. I was fortunate that the tech knew what to do. Now, when it came to the hood switch, I explained what I knew about turning on the remote start for it to appear. Most techs don't modify from factory, so some of this is new to them.

Everything else I did to my truck was done with Forscan.
Can you refer me to the specific dealer you worked with, as I see you are in PA. That's not too far from me. Maybe that is worth a try if they are reputable for helping peeps out.

Based on your VIN, here are relevant changes you may want to make including those for keyless entry:

Feature PASE disabled-not sure what this is(enabled on regular Explorers), change

726-20-01

Remote Keyless Entry

IPC RKE display

Before making these changes, back up your BCM and IPC as-built files and check if these options are available in the English menu(easy mode settings in forscan) before programming it with as-built data
At the risk of sounding argumentative, auto lock & unlock does not work correctly, even if enabled on PIU. I'd like to have that...but it must be turned on with every re-start...

(To that end, Forscan shows an option of adding the auto windows up and down with the key fob...but this also doesn't work in the PIU)

Remote start settings may be enabled in the IPC...but r/s ill not function without an aftermarket solution to turn it on.

Keyless entry is already in the truck...but the fobs must be enabled via IDS to function.

I have a '16 PIU and have gotten familiar with them. I have installed via Forscan and some hardware, auto headlights, intelligent AWD gauge, park lights flash with lock, horn honk with second lock press, disabled DRLs....and I'm sure some other things I'm forgetting...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Feature PASE disabled-not sure what this is(enabled on regular Explorers), change

726-20-01

Remote Keyless Entry

IPC RKE display

I confirmed that PASE - passive entry, passive start is required to be enabled. I successfully enabled one 16 PIU for RKE and remote start though the key had to be programmed with IDS.

NOTE: You will probably want to also enable remote start features in the HVAC and IPC modules. Remote start lighting can be enabled in the BCM, 726-41-02

Back