2016-18 Police Utility Forscan Settings | Page 3 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

2016-18 Police Utility Forscan Settings

Capt343

Reaction score
City, State
WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Brings me to another option. Surveillance mode. This still a thing on the ford police vehicles? IF so how does that get turned on. Or is there a bunch of kits that need to be installed

THIS! I have two cars coming in that want surveillance mode - like the Tahoes have that will dim the dashboard with a push of a button. Anybody have an info on this? I was told the feature is called "Police Silent Mode" for Ford and is apparently controlled through the IPC.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Capt343

Reaction score
City, State
WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Dark Car/Silent Mode/Courtesy Lamp Disable
720-04-01 xxx4 xxxx xxxx this allows control in IPC menu (I believe this only works with PIU/base IPC)
726-32-01 xxxx x1xx xxxx activates the option
726-58-02 xxxx xxxx x1xx - IPC menu will toggle this from 1 enabled to 0 disabled (or you can set it yourself to enable feature if your IPC doesn't support the menu option)

Looks like now you have to modify BOTH BCM (726-XX-XX) strings in order to get Dark Car to work on 2019s (Possibly other MYs as well) without using the IPC menu edit. I don't remember having this problem before and the spreadsheet that is linked in the tutorial only has the 726-32-01 string referenced.

Muxlow

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford PI Utility
Callsign
VA3YFU
Dark car works fine on my 17. Even have an option in the vehicle lighting menu called silent mode? i think. Does just this
Surveillance mode is the thing that uses the parking sensors and will roll up the windows, lock the doors and turn on the reverse lights when someone sets off a sensor. Have to have the very expensive module for that thing to work

KayGee

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
Looks like now you have to modify BOTH BCM (726-XX-XX) strings in order to get Dark Car to work on 2019s (Possibly other MYs as well) without using the IPC menu edit. I don't remember having this problem before and the spreadsheet that is linked in the tutorial only has the 726-32-01 string referenced.
There are lots of spreadsheets with incomplete and wrong info. Both of mine required both bcm mods to work. I have done a few others and haven't gotten one to work without making both edits. That's why I created this separate thread for 16-18 Pius. As always, YMMV.

KayGee

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
Figured out the secure idle option. Parts on order and once they come in will see if its working on the 2017 PIU
Did you get police idle working? With forscan?

diveguy7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
Exactly, I mean worst case scenario is you end up basically with DRLs + taillights like what's going on with me. And that ain't bad.
Well apparently I got the same result as you. Finally got the correct switch from the dealer and now the headlights still come on even with the sun load sensor present.

Muxlow

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford PI Utility
Callsign
VA3YFU
Did you get police idle working? With forscan?

Didnt try it via Forscan. Used IDS to enable it.
I'll try Forscan and see if i can disable it tomorrow and then reenable

VCFP153

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ormond Beach FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 PIU
Well apparently I got the same result as you. Finally got the correct switch from the dealer and now the headlights still come on even with the sun load sensor present.

So, after TWO YEARS of trying, I finally got auto headlamps to work correctly on my PIU. That's after neither our local police vehicle upfitter, nor our local Ford dealer could do it. And it took less than a minute, without writing any Forscan addresses. I believe the key was the latest Forscan update, wherein there is now under the BCM configuration menu a setting for "ambient light sensor". I don't think that setting was there before. When I hooked the car up this time, it showed the sensor disabled. I switched it to "enable", hit "write", and now my auto headlights work handsomely. So, for those who have tried before, provided you have the correct switch and sensor, make sure you update your Forscan. Should work!

diveguy7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
So, after TWO YEARS of trying, I finally got auto headlamps to work correctly on my PIU. That's after neither our local police vehicle upfitter, nor our local Ford dealer could do it. And it took less than a minute, without writing any Forscan addresses. I believe the key was the latest Forscan update, wherein there is now under the BCM configuration menu a setting for "ambient light sensor". I don't think that setting was there before. When I hooked the car up this time, it showed the sensor disabled. I switched it to "enable", hit "write", and now my auto headlights work handsomely. So, for those who have tried before, provided you have the correct switch and sensor, make sure you update your Forscan. Should work!
Woohoo!

Glad I track the threads! Just updated ForScan as well. Tried it. Boom. Works!

Nice Catch!

VCFP153

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ormond Beach FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 PIU
Woohoo!

Glad I track the threads! Just updated ForScan as well. Tried it. Boom. Works!

Nice Catch!

The interesting thing is that my Taurus (which is also a 2017) has BOTH an auto headlamp function and an ambient light sensor dropdowns in ForScan, but the PIU only seems to have the sensor. That may be because the Taurus came with auto headlamps originally.

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51
Needed to bump this old thread, has anyone using Forscan on the PIU's had success turning off the DRL's?

This is for a 2018 PIU, I know the electrical architecture changed a bit in 2016/17