2016 / 19 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 / 19 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different

HD_Dude

Reaction score
City, State
DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford EXplorer XLT
Hi everyone -

The roof racks on the 2016 Ford Explorers are totally, totally different.

Every Ford SUV I've owned, which includes 2 Explorers and 2 Expeditions, had roof racks with open spaces in between the roof mounts. So, you could tie a rope to them, put the Christmas tree up top, and tie it down.

The 2016 Explorer Roof Racks are solid, front to back...no open spaces for a rope. The only way you can tie anything to them is with either crossbars, or the little knobs they include...with are not heavy duty at all.

I believe they did it to reduce drag and wind noise.

As is, nothing except the factory crossbars will work for bike racks, cargo carriers or Christmas trees. None of the Thule straps that go around the rails will work, because there are no open spaces.

I searched this forum, and most of the roof rack threads included older Explorer owner comments - but the 2016 is totally different. Nothing that applies to older Explorers works - at all.

So we will have to use the Thule-Ford accessories, which use the Ford Crossbar.

Older Thule roof racks won't mount.

This is not a complaint - just an observation. Trying to help 2016 owners understand that there has been a huge change - and none of the older approaches work.

At all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I saw that and thought what a STUPID...STUPID idea that was!

I saw this and thought maybe it was just a thing on the Sport model. Guess not. Dumb by Ford to do this.

...well not so stupid for Ford, with the 2016 they drew a line in the sand.
Between the front and rear end and the roof, its an all new vehicle.

And possibly they locked in cross bar sales until the AM companies make some...
...aaaand hopefully these roof rails wont leak...

I used to swear by roof racks. Then I tried hitch-mounted equipment. Still have my roof rack gear but gets used only when my wife overpacks...:D:D

Perhaps the mounting holes are the same as the 11-15', and as such may be backward compatible if someone wants to try a rail swap?

FWIW: I have successfully removed the plastic cover from 16' rails. All you have to do is squeeze the plastic and pull upward aggressively, starting near the front.

Hi everyone -

The roof racks on the 2016 Ford Explorers are totally, totally different.
I believe they did it to reduce drag and wind noise.
I think they did it to stop all the leaks that were happening due to the way they were fastened to the vehicle.

Peter

...well not so stupid for Ford, with the 2016 they drew a line in the sand.
Between the front and rear end and the roof, its an all new vehicle.

And possibly they locked in cross bar sales until the AM companies make some...
...aaaand hopefully these roof rails wont leak...

Yep. The only roof options so far are to buy the crossbars from Ford, and then the Thule rack accessories - again, from Ford. Everything Thule makes for the 2016 Ford Explorers are apparently, only available through Ford.

The Thule website doesn't even list the 2016 Explorer.

I'm sure the Thule-Ford stuff is fine. It's just that I already have a ton of Thule rooftop stuff - crossbars, bike racks, luggage basket, locking systems, wind faring - and I'd like to use it all on the 2016. At this point, unless I fabricate some clamps, I'm out of luck.

I think they did it to stop all the leaks that were happening due to the way they were fastened to the vehicle.

Peter

Hopefully, but it is also aesthetic as well as aerodynamic. It's the new, sleeker roof rack that the JGC already has. In fact, the newer Range Rovers don't come with a roof rack. It's an accessory.

I'm happy with the utility of my 2011 roof rack. It's getting to the point that all the utility is being taken out of these vehicles.

New '16 Roof Rack WTF?

Picked up our '16 last night. Did they really need to change the roof side rails? We are really happy with the improvements over our '13 but I can't use my Thule racks with the new side rails. WTF Ford? Now I have to buy the cr@p cross bars? :mad:

Would you of been happy with a leaking interior?

If you want to get adventurous with the wallet, try looking into hitch mounted systems.

Picked up our '16 last night. Did they really need to change the roof side rails? We are really happy with the improvements over our '13 but I can't use my Thule racks with the new side rails. WTF Ford? Now I have to buy the cr@p cross bars? :mad:
This was first brought up back in June in another thread but I have merged your thread with this thread. I believe it was also brought up a few times in other threads. As well the pictures of the 2016 show the new style.

Peter

Just passed a massive Cadillac SUV on the highway with similar solid roof rails. I guess manufacturers are using this design for aerodynamic efficiency.

My '13 never leaked

You were one of the LUCKY ones. Do a search for " water leak " in this forum and be grateful they built YOURS correct.

This is the new suv trend, few years back almost everybody stopped supplying the cross bars and now they don't bring true rails anymore. You save a real minimal mpg and improve on wind noise but the truth is most ppl never use them so manufactures get to save a little $$$ and also improve on the noise and mpg ever so slightly. Over on the Toyota forum ppl are going nuts because the highlander doesn't even bring flush rails where the bars can slide like the explorers do. There lower models just have some plugs you pop off and you can attach two fixed u shaped bars to the roof and the higher levels have the same thing but they have a decorative plastic that looks like our flush rails but it's just decorative.

If you're not happy with the roof rack do what I did with my Spark and install aftermarket towers and bars.
I know it's painful drilling holes into the roof of your brand new car... but it's so much better than any OEM option.

But really. Roof mounted stuff sucks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't see it being almost every single truck that leaked without them having to do a huge recall

Back