2016 2.3L oil change too much oil? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 2.3L oil change too much oil?

onedownfiveup

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Ive worked on cars and motorcycles for over 2 decades. I saw 5.7 qts of oil for this engine. I drained it until it was barely dripping and replaced the oil filter. I filled up the oil filter with oil and put 5 qts in. Started it up and let it rest. Pulled he dipstick and it appears as though I have way too much oil in this thing. It has maybe 5.2 qts now and it seems as though it’s over filled. I flip the dipstick over to the opposite side and it looks like I get a better reading. Is this normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I changed the oil on mine not long ago, and I noticed dip-stick direction did matter in reading the right level. I lent my car out for a week or I'd run out and check which direction it's in now, but I filled mine up per the manual (which holds 6 quarts although the manual says something else) and thought I had overfilled. So I let some oil out and kept checking. In the end, it turned out I had underfilled and had to add more. It's not easy to read new oil on the stick as it's so light in color, but the direction mattered for me.

I would fill it to what the manual says, and not worry about it. If you put in the recommended amount I’m sure it’s not overfilled. Drive it a week or two and recheck when it’s picked up done color.

I changed the oil on mine not long ago, and I noticed dip-stick direction did matter in reading the right level. I lent my car out for a week or I'd run out and check which direction it's in now, but I filled mine up per the manual (which holds 6 quarts although the manual says something else) and thought I had overfilled. So I let some oil out and kept checking. In the end, it turned out I had underfilled and had to add more. It's not easy to read new oil on the stick as it's so light in color, but the direction mattered for me.

I think I'm just so used to higher mileage engines. This motor has 17k on it and the Mobil one is just so clear on the dip stick it drove me nuts I couldn't get a good reading on it.

One thing that you can do if you are having problems seeing where the oil level is on a oil change is to drill a small hole in the dipstick at the full level, that is if there isn't already a hole there.

I hate it when the manufacture tells you that the oil fill capacity is something like 5.7 quarts. I just put in the full 6 quarts and let it go at that. An extra three tenths of a quart is not going to hurt it.

One thing that you can do if you are having problems seeing where the oil level is on a oil change is to drill a small hole in the dipstick at the full level, that is if there isn't already a hole there.

I hate it when the manufacture tells you that the oil fill capacity is something like 5.7 quarts. I just put in the full 6 quarts and let it go at that. An extra three tenths of a quart is not going to hurt it.
Putting too much oil in isn't good for it.

Three tenths isn't that much oil. A quart yes.

Take a look at your oil bottle and measure the tenths on it and then see just how much we are talking about.

Possibly silly questions, but here goes anyway...

What was the oil level reading before you changed the oil?
Did you capture the drained oil in a clean/empty receptacle and measure it to confirm what came out?
Did you change the filter?
Is the vehicle on level ground when checking oil level?

Possibly silly questions, but here goes anyway...

What was the oil level reading before you changed the oil?
Did you capture the drained oil in a clean/empty receptacle and measure it to confirm what came out?
Did you change the filter?
Is the vehicle on level ground when checking oil level?
All good questions.

I didn't check it before I changed it.

Yes, it filled up a 7qt drain pan so probably close to 6 quarts.

Changed the filter with the same filter that was on it.

Vehicle was on level ground.

Is this a new vehicle for you? First time changing the oil? Have you checked oil level before and has the dipstick read correctly?

Taking out 6 qts, putting in 5.2 qts, and seeing an overfill reading on the dipstick seems odd for a vehicle with a 5.7 qt capacity.

Maybe you have a defective/wrong dipstick?

Taking out 6 qts, putting in 5.2 qts, and seeing an overfill reading on the dipstick seems odd for a vehicle with a 5.7 qt capacity.

Maybe you have a defective/wrong dipstick?

Perhaps the manual references 5.7 Quarts with an empty external cooler if you have one?

If you over fill by several quarts then you run the risk of having the crankshaft counter weights splashing the oil around and causing foaming problems as well a vibration issues.

Just checked mine. Explorer had an oil change done by the dealer on April 6th. Fluid level was just above the 2nd hole on the dip stick so about 1/4" above the full line. It also made no difference in the way to dip stick was inserted. Same reading all the time. Mine calls for 5.7L (6 qt) so I'm guessing they just put in the full 6L.

Peter

Spec is 5.7 qts and 5w30 syn blend. This includes the filter.

Spec is 5.7 qts and 5w30 syn blend
That is for the U.S. Explorers. The ones for the Canadian market come with regular Premium oil with synthetic blend or full synthetic as an option.

Peter

Perhaps the manual references 5.7 Quarts with an empty external cooler if you have one?

If you over fill by several quarts then you run the risk of having the crankshaft counter weights splashing the oil around and causing foaming problems as well a vibration issues.
The crank already splashes through the oil.

Anyways, my wife drove it to work and back yesterday and I checked it last night. Oil is at the full level with 5.7 qts in. It just took it some time to make it a little dirty to read.

I have a 2017 Explorer with the 2.3 EB. I put in exactly 5.7 quarts. AFTER it sits for 20+ minutes it will read full on the dipstick. It takes 20 minutes to drain into the oil pan.

Whimsey

AFTER it sits for 20+ minutes it will read full on the dipstick. It takes 20 minutes to drain into the oil pan.

Should take about that long for all of the oil in the top of the engine to drain back down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back