2016 - 2017 crossbars weight restrictions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 - 2017 crossbars weight restrictions

CRAB

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
For those using the stock Ford crossbars what are your thoughts on the weight limits? I have a moonroof and the 40lb limit isn't very much. I have 2 30lb paddle boards that I want to put up there and want to know if the limits are just ford covering their a$$ or if they won't hold the weight.

I'm looking at the Thule aeroblades if the stock won't work, but $400 more and a less clean look is tough. Anyone have pictures of the Thules installed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Weight limits for the cross bars are 100lbs total weight over both bars.

The user manual says 45lbs with moonroof

Weight limits for the cross bars are 100lbs total weight over both bars.
CRAB is correct. The 2016 Manual says;

The maximum recommended load, evenly
distributed on the crossbars, is:
• 100 lb (45 kg) for vehicles without a moonroof.
• 45 lb (20 kg) for vehicles with a moonroof.

This is new in the 2016 Owner's Manual. All previous Manuals did state 100 lbs total over both crossbars. Not sure if this change had anything to do with all the reports of roof leaks or not.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum CRAB. :wave:
Seems like some of the "Utility" is being taken out of this vehicle.:(

Peter

45LBs.... why even bother really.... wow!

Well, at least you can stow a carry-on on the crossbars. /sarcasm

Hi,

Can anyone point me to where is the best place to buy roof rail cross bars online for the lowest price? We just bought a new 2017 and I forgot to get the cross bars. Before I ask the dealer to put them on for me, I just want to be sure I cant get them much cheaper online.

Also, they cost $140 as an option when you 'build & spec' an Explorer on the Ford website. Should I expect the cost to be similar at the dealer?

Thanks!

Hi,

Can anyone point me to where is the best place to buy roof rail cross bars online for the lowest price? We just bought a new 2017 and I forgot to get the cross bars. Before I ask the dealer to put them on for me, I just want to be sure I cant get them much cheaper online.

Also, they cost $140 as an option when you 'build & spec' an Explorer on the Ford website. Should I expect the cost to be similar at the dealer?

Thanks!
Never mind all. I found them all over the web including fordparts.com for about $135 or less. Thanks!!!

Are those weight restrictions real? I can't imagine what you could possibly carry with a sunroof. Perhaps a single bicycle?
Page 231 of your Manual.

What I meant was, can anyone venture a guess as to what the actual weight limit is, not just what's in the manual. That seems like an unusually low tolerance. You could hardly put a family's worth of skis on the roof. The average rooftop box is >55lbs.

FYI, prior to the 2016 model the weight restriction was 100 lbs distributed evenly across the bars. Not sure why it changed.

Peter

It would be my guess that the moon roof affects the structural stability of the roof and that is why the weight is cut down to 45lbs with it. Even without the moon roof the weight is only 100lbs, but that is almost standard from what I have seen on newer vehicles with roof racks.

These weight limits / restrictions are EXTREMELY disappointing. Not that it would have changed my decision to buy it, but I might have thought differently about it. I just imagined that I'd have no issues family road tripping with my Thule cargo box loaded up, but the box alone weighs nearly 50 lbs and we have the freakin moonroof. So bummed. I mean #%$& I have ladders that weigh more than 45 lbs. Seems like these roof rails are just there for aesthetics.

Time to get a hitch carrier but then if you don't have the towing package with a receiver you'll have to put one on for the carrier.

Yep, I've got the towing package, just disappointed that the roof rack isn't that practical. Especially since I got the crossbars "free" (just made the dealer throw them in).

It would be my guess that the moon roof affects the structural stability of the roof and that is why the weight is cut down to 45lbs with it. Even without the moon roof the weight is only 100lbs, but that is almost standard from what I have seen on newer vehicles with roof racks.
That doesn't explain why that prior to the 2016 model the weight was 100 lbs with or without the moonroof.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps they learned something from not derating it.

Back