2016 - 2017 Fog Light Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 - 2017 Fog Light Help

Inane222

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford PIU Eco
Good evening all,

Should be taking possession of my 17" PIU in the next week or so. I've got several mods planned to make it look better and have some more creature comforts.

Concerning the appearance, I'd like to add the OEM fog lights. The PI version and some of the "fleet" versions have these awful black plastic covers in the front bumper cover instead of the light itself. I have found several on eBay and the prices are all over the place. I'm not 100% concerned with making these lights functional, I'm just trying to get rid of the black covers. But, if I can make them operational, that's a bonus.

My question to you guys is are their multiple versions of this light available? It seems like some eBay ads mention that it's a LED and other ads don't mention what type of lighting it is but they are noticeably cheaper. Any info on this is greatly apprcaiated. Thanks!

The early model 2016 Explorers had halogen fog lights, later models and all 2017 Explorers have LED fog lights. Perhaps that may explain the price difference.:dunno:

Peter

Yeah halogen vs led big price difference. A quality pair of real led bulbs will run you at least $100. Mine came with halogen and I only wanted the hue to match so I bought the cheap $35 amazon LEDs color matches perfect looks great looking at the truck but they literally have no light output if I turn the fogs or on I can't tell from inside there is no difference it just looks nice from the outside. Led technology in newer than hid pnp kits and generate allot of heat so a quality bulb is bigger to accommodate the heat sync or some even have fans built in. I have no idea if the base explorer brings the harness in place but usually then on oem kits bring a simple harness that hooks up to your battery and earth ground then you run a plug into the car through the firewall and a switch usually replaces a blank somewhere. Only downside is when it's wired this way you have to remember to turn the lights off or they will drain your battery as they are bypassing the auto off feature.

Back