2016 Cooled Seats | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Cooled Seats

My wife and I recently purchased a 2016 Platinum. We love the vehicle. Before buying it, I searched this forum to see if anyone had issues with the seat backs not cooling as designed, but didn't find anything.

Last summer we bought a 2015 F150 with the cooled seats option. Unfortunately due to a design flaw, the seat backs do not cool as they are supposed to. I was very disappointed when I found this out. The fix Ford came up with doesn't work either and several people have had their seats damaged when the dealership attempted the fix.

I recently heard on the F150 forum that this may also be an issue with the Explorers. I was curious if any members have had an issue with their seat backs not cooling and/or getting warm instead of cooling. So far ours works properly but it's also cold out so its not the best conditions to test them in. We really LOVE the vehicle and I hope we are not going to go through the same headaches we have with our F150.

Thanks!!!!!!
YES!! Mine in my 1016 platinum explorer do not cool. Took to the dealership today and they said only the bottom seat cools and not the backs. I have never heard of such. Ridiculous. Not what I was told when I bought it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

• TSB 16-0080 - Effective May 4 2016
    2015-2016 Edge And 2016 Explorer - Climate Controlled Seats - Lack Of Cooling Performance From The Front Seat Backrest - Built On Or Before 2/12/2016
Tell them to check the TSB list. Idiots.

My seats on 2016 explorer Platinum only cool/heat the seat and not the back. The dealership said they only heat the seat and not the back. Is the correct? My salesman said different.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As indicated, your thread has been merged with this existing one found using the Forum's handy 'Search" function.

Peter

This is what your dealer should be doing when you contact them about an issue. Checking for TSB's, etc.

• TSB 16-0080 - Effective May 4 2016
    2015-2016 Edge And 2016 Explorer - Climate Controlled Seats - Lack Of Cooling Performance From The Front Seat Backrest - Built On Or Before 2/12/2016
Tell them to check the TSB list. Idiots.

Thanks for the TSB #, I had mentioned this to my dealer when it was in for the TB issue and of course at that time... no issue found and now with the TSB there is more "meat" to present to the dealer.

Look forward to what you come back with. I have a 2016 Limited built in April 2016, so the TSB technically would not apply to mine. The bottom seat certainly gets very, very cold. (Testing in 100 degree Austin, TX right now). The back never gets anywhere near as cold. But I'll pay closer attention to the back seat temp today to see if I can feel any cooling.

Mine is a 2016 Sport with a November 15 build date. Seat bottoms cool pretty well, the seat backs are hit or miss. Sometimes I can feel them blowing, other times I don't feel them at all.

100% sure the backs are supposed to blow air.

Even my 2017 has a poor cooling issue. Going in next week.

My 2016 Limited has issues with seat back cooling. I've played around with different blower speeds without much success. The dealer says Ford is supplying new/different motors to correct the problem. It's 3 weeks and still no motors.
We'll see.

Following up, 2016 Exp Sport. Same problem. Seat bottom cools... "eh" and I have to leave it at 3 just to get "eh". The back seems dead. Took it to the dealer and they said I had a dead blower motor for the back. Said they replaced it but no difference. Going to reschedule a trip back. IMHO, Cooling on 3 should reach a point where you'd want to turn it down like Heat on 3. 3 is the only setting where it does anything. 2 or 1 on cool might as well be off. Not happy -

Anyone get this fixed?

I had my blower replaced for the useless cooling on the back too, no change in performance.

I had my blower replaced for the useless cooling on the back too, no change in performance.

My 16 Sport came with bottom cooled seats, the part with wholes on the bottom seat, dealer told me that there is no cooling provided to the back part of the front seats. Ford is cutting corners, only cooling the butt part of the seat but not the back.

Following up, 2016 Exp Sport. Same problem. Seat bottom cools... "eh" and I have to leave it at 3 just to get "eh". The back seems dead. Took it to the dealer and they said I had a dead blower motor for the back. Said they replaced it but no difference. Going to reschedule a trip back. IMHO, Cooling on 3 should reach a point where you'd want to turn it down like Heat on 3. 3 is the only setting where it does anything. 2 or 1 on cool might as well be off. Not happy -

Anyone get this fixed?

Not sure, my dealer told me that the back part is not suppose to heat or cool, only the bottom part. Just like the steering wheel, only heats up at some angles.

Not sure, my dealer told me that the back part is not suppose to heat or cool, only the bottom part. Just like the steering wheel, only heats up at some angles.

If you have the same model I do, your dealer is lying or ignorant.

See the aftermarket fix here: http://seatguru.wixsite.com/fordseatfix

Bless the guy for putting this together.. DA** shame Ford doesn't man up and take care of it..

Haven't used the cooling part yet but the heat is in the cushion and the back. On the Platinum the entire steering wheel is heated except for the wooden part.
The back is supposed to cool otherwise there wouldn't be a TSB on the backrest cooling issue.

Peter

If you have the same model I do, your dealer is lying or ignorant.

See the aftermarket fix here: http://seatguru.wixsite.com/fordseatfix

Bless the guy for putting this together.. DA** shame Ford doesn't man up and take care of it..

Yeah, I have the same model as you, 16 Sport w401A pacakge, Tri coat white.
There is no cooling available for the back part of Explorer seats, only the butt part. Website just mentions poor cooling on some models.

Haven't used the cooling part yet but the heat is in the cushion and the back. On the Platinum the entire steering wheel is heated.
The back is supposed to cool otherwise there wouldn't be a TSB on the backrest cooling issue.

Peter

The entire wheel is heated on my '16 Exp Sport also..

On the TSB, I must say, EXACTLY!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I have the same model as you, 16 Sport w401A pacakge, Tri coat white.
There is no cooling available for the back part of Explorer seats, only the butt part. Website just mentions poor cooling on some models.

Just for you sir.. I ripped out my passenger seat, and peeled back the leather, you can clearly see the fan in the seat back. Head out of the sand now.. #TorpedosOfTruth and whatever.. Tell your dealer he's a complete idiot..

1DEBD7A1-E88D-4031-9F7B-2FDBDA0E8039.jpg

E3B6A459-EF29-4CDB-B0FE-60C75634D904.jpg

734F3434-2AC6-4142-90A7-7109BCE7262D.jpg

E17CA945-DA19-4AD4-83AB-3BF269009B8E.jpg

Back