• Register Today It's free!

2016 ecoboost sport is a turd

GoLoadGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, Ford Explorer Sport
So I've had my explorer sport for two years now and we just hit 34k miles. It's been a complete nightmare with issues related to sync, remote start, tire wear, transmission rebuild @ 28k miles, AWD system grenade @30k miles and now I'm getting issues with sync again lol...

This car has been a complete nightmare. Buyers beware.

Note: daily driver on the roads of Texas *no potholes or terrible road conditions*. Maintenance done regularly.

Anyone else experience these type of issues? I really wanted to love this SUV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There will always be a bad one that gets out there, sounds like you got it.
I'm still happy with my 2014 Sport @ ~70k miles.

My 16’ Sport has been pretty good, although I’m only at 19k. Had the intermittent “radio off” issue which was just a Service message/reprogram. Original hankooks were shot at 15k. Replacing them with Pirellis improves the ride and driving characteristics overall, so I guess I’m ok with that. Hopefully you get it all sorted out.

Too bad about all the issues you've had over a 2 year period but you can't blame tire wear on the vehicle. Hankook came out with a notice on the Ventus tires and possible replacement. Also, those tires according to the Hankook website are passenger car tires. They have different ones listed for SUV's.

Peter

Also, those tires according to the Hankook website are passenger car tires. They have different ones listed for SUV's.

Peter
There are 2 common tire types for vehicles - P-metric/Passenger (P) and Light Truck (LT). There are variations within each (SL and XL for P-metric and load range C, D, E for LT). P-metrics are commonly found on cars/minivans/CUV/SUV/1/2 ton trucks and LT are commonly found on 3/4 ton and heavier trucks and for off-road use).

The Explorer is a car based crossover and doesn't require special tires. It is spec'd with P-metric tires with a 104/105 load index and there is no problem using any P-metric tire on an Explorer as long it has the appropriate load index - regardless if it is advertised/marketed as a CAR tire or an SUV tire. If one wants, they can go with an XL P-metric tire (109 load index) or an LT tire if they want something "heavier duty".

As with all tires, some will be built differently than others and use different rubber compounds and may wear out sooner/later than others, but that is nothing new when it comes to tires.

I won't speculate as to why the OE Hankook tire is not performing/lasting as it should on the Explorer, but it's probably the same reason a lot of other parts supplied by the lowest cost bidder suffer the same/similar fate - may have to do with how some drive vs others also.

Side note - The police version of the Taurus and Explorer use the same exact tire - Goodyear RSA 245/55R18 with 103 load index - there isn't a specific CAR tire for the Taurus and a specific SUV tire for the Explorer.

Back