How to: - 2016 Explorer- Adding Remote Start Facts | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2016 Explorer- Adding Remote Start Facts

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Feels a little odd doing this but I was referred to this thread from another. I'm trying to get remote start going on a '16 Explorer Base. I installed the hood pin and wired it to pin 14 of the the BCM harness the code of which escapes me now. My understanding is that the pin needs to be activated using IDS or forscan. Does anyone know the Forscan data that needs to be changed to enable the hood pin?

My '17 XLT had the hood switch. I can see on Forscan in the Body Control Module section an entry for Hood Switch, the value shown is "Present".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's the impression I got when I started. It would show up as an option in Forscan with present or not present. Unfortunately this is all I see.
bcm options.jpg

That's the impression I got when I started. It would show up as an option in Forscan with present or not present. Unfortunately this is all I see.
View attachment 153775
On mine its right above Perimeter Alarm and under Headlamp Type.
My guess would be to try enable Perimeter Alarm, write it, then open Forscan again. Then it might appear.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a try when I have access to the car again. Is this a thing with forscan? Options don't appear on occasion unless a nearby option is enabled?

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a try when I have access to the car again. Is this a thing with forscan? Options don't appear on occasion unless a nearby option is enabled?

I tried your suggestion tonight and still no dice. I'm thinking forscan simply can't parse the asbuilt data into the option for my model year. Is there anybody out there that would be willing to post up asbuilt configuration before and after enable/disable the hood pin option?

Jason or anyone,

I have a 2016 ford explorer xlt with hood switch. If I purchase the EL3Z-19G364-B remote start kit and FT4Z-19A361-A VSS kit I can use the one-way remotes after having it enabled in the IDS, but can I just purchase the DL3Z.15K601.A - Remote Start, Key Fob, Bi-Directional and have the bi-directional function?

Do I need to purchase additional kits/harnesses/antenna?

Thanks!

Will update this as more information becomes available.

The 2016 Explorer not only has styling changes but the entire electrical system of the vehicle was changed from the standard used in the 2011-2015.

If your 2016 Explorer did NOT come with remote start from the factory, then hardware kits must be installed. They are plug and play which means no splicing of wiring.

You will have three choices:

1000' Long Range One Way System - Separate Remote Start Only FOB - Kit with Antenna and Two FOBs: EL3Z-19G364-B
1000' Long Range Two Way System - Separate Remote Start Only FOB
Cell Phone Kit known as "Remote Access" - RMU Only: DL3Z-19A390-B
Hood Switch (BT4Z-19G366-A) + Wiring Harness (DG1Z-14B504-A) is required for Base Model Explorers.

All three off these also require the VSS (Vehicle Security System) module which includes a shock sensor that can be disabled if you wish.
VSS Kit: FT4Z-19A361-A

Installation of a kit should take roughly an hour. This includes the IDS (dealer software) programming that must be done.

IF YOU HAVE A BASE MODEL YOU MAY NEED TO INSTALL THE HOOD SWITCH ALONG WITH THE HOOD SWITCH WIRING. You will need to check to see if these are present in the vehicle. A Police Interceptor Utility ordered without the perimeter alarm will have the hood switch wiring but not the hood switch.

People are going to ask why can't I have remote start enabled and get a new FOB with the remote start button on it like the 2011-2015 models. Well the reason is how Ford has setup the remote start in the 2016 Explorer. Without remote start the FOBs work on 315mhz (North America) and with remote start the FOBs operate on 902mhz.

I will update this with part numbers as I get them.

DEALER PROGRAMMING IS REQUIRED TO ENABLE REMOTE START.

Please note the above information is for ADDING remote start to your base or XLT Explorer.

If you have a 16 Explorer that already has existing remote start and you want to add a long range or cellular kit you can do that. As long as you have the perimeter alarm the only reason to contact a dealer would be to activate the cellular kit after you have it installed. They can do this without having possession of the vehicle. The only reason the dealer would have to have physical possession of the vehicle is to enable the remote start and perimeter alarm functions which if already equipped don't need to be done over. The kits do not come with installation instructions so if you purchase a kit on line ask for the instructions from the seller.

If you have the one way long range kit there is no additional hardware to make it two way other than the two way fob.

If you have the one way long range kit there is no additional hardware to make it two way other than the two way fob.

That is what I was hoping, thanks!

A Few follow-up questions. I have installed the VSS and Remote Start kit. I have Forscan with the extended license. I have also already reprogrammed the double horn honk and it worked perfectly. Last night I tried to enable the remote start. I switched the 0 to 1 and rewrote it. The Explorer flashed 3 times and did the K-off K-on but I do not see the remote restart options on my dash. Not 100% certain the BCM was reprogrammed or not but I did disconnect and reconnect and the 1 was still there..

1. If I just wrote to enable remote start, should it show up on the dash option right away?

2. Do I need to enable a separate function? Saw something with the instrument panel cluster (IPC) module?

3. Does the remote start remotes need be programmed after the enabling the BCM?

4. I installed the VSS but never activated it. Does it need to be active for the remote start to work?

If there is a complete guide/how-to using Forscan, can someone send it to me.

Thanks!

Ok everyone a bit of a twist. I've got my 17 XLT: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6: EG 200A so I do not have stock remote start and only have the basic keyless start fobs. I would like to add remote start but have been unable to clarify what I would need to order to be able to switch over to the 2X fobs so I dont have my normal key and an extra remote start key. Any help would be appreciated.

There is no OEM solution for that.

There is no OEM solution for that.
Ok, is there a third party one? I purchased a 2X fob and was able to program it, I then found out about the frequency difference preventing it from functioning properly. I thought to myself ok, just swapt to a new remote lock module so I'm on the right frequency then I could use the FOB's but have never been able to locate what I'd have to order and how to deal with master vs. clone keys.

I have been trying to have a remote start installed, tried after market, needed a hood latch and computer would not recognize. Took to the dealer, was told that a factory remote start couldn't be installed. Anyone else run into this problem?

Welcome to the forum :wavey:

Here is a thread I found using the forums 'search' feature that should help you - How to: - 2016 Explorer- Adding Remote Start Facts

You can install this all yourself and contact Benny at Levittown Ford to activate the RMU for you (for free).

I'm surprised the dealer wasn't interested in such an easy job.

I have been trying to have a remote start installed, tried after market, needed a hood latch and computer would not recognize. Took to the dealer, was told that a factory remote start couldn't be installed. Anyone else run into this problem?
Welcome to the Forum Janine:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one identified above.

Peter

Will update this as more information becomes available.

The 2016 Explorer not only has styling changes but the entire electrical system of the vehicle was changed from the standard used in the 2011-2015.

If your 2016 Explorer did NOT come with remote start from the factory, then hardware kits must be installed. They are plug and play which means no splicing of wiring.

All three off these also require the VSS (Vehicle Security System) module which includes a shock sensor that can be disabled if you wish.
VSS Kit: FT4Z-19A361-A

I have a 2018 XLT AWD N/A 3.5, only option was tow package so I have the 315 MHz (316 MHz is what I saw on my spectrum analyzer) non-remote start intelligent access keys (push button start). It's my understanding that I just need the JS7Z-19A361-A Ford VSS module installed in-between the OBD2 diagnostic connector and the gateway harness. It's almost my understanding when I enable remote start via 726-22-02 and 720-02-02 (for the BCM and IPC), that it should enable the VSS to remote start with the stock fobs. Is there anything inaccurate? I am not interested in using an app or extending the range - I just want to use my existing fobs. It should start the car with Lock-Unlock-Lock?

From jmr061's original photos, it looks like he used two nylon ties to secure the VSS behind that metal bracket at the steering column. Is this how most 16-19 Explorers would have the VSS installed?

I also saw someone mentioning that Perimeter Alarm has to be enabled in FORScan so that the shock sensor works. Is this accurate? My ETIS shows I have Perimeter Anti-Theft, As-Built shows my perimeter alarm to be enabled with the chime on the driver's side (whatever that means).

The fob would be 315 MHz.

KN1Z-19A361-A may be an even newer version than JS7Z-19A361-A

KN1Z-19A361-A may be an even newer version than JS7Z-19A361-A
That's for 2020-up Explorers.

So can anyone confirm if the JS7Z-19A361-A VSS is all I would need to use my original fobs on a 2018 XLT? Everything I've read indicates this should work, as I'm not interested in the extended range stuff or the cellphone/app remote start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's for 2020-up Explorers.

So can anyone confirm if the JS7Z-19A361-A VSS is all I would need to use my original fobs on a 2018 XLT? Everything I've read indicates this should work, as I'm not interested in the extended range stuff or the cellphone/app remote start.
The answer should be yes but if you want to verify contact Nate @ Fairway Ford. It's been awhile since I have dealt with him but if he is still around he will answer your questions. JS7Z-19A361-A 2018 Ford OEM Ford Security System w/ Remote Start uses Factory Flip Key | Fairway Ford Parts. Remote start needs to be properly enabled for proper operation.

As for where I mounted the VSS. I chose that location for several reasons. Its a solid metal mounting area and I secured it extremely tight with ties however small bolts would have been better. That area carries vibrations well for shock sensing and where it was located I could use a small but long screwdriver to adjust the shock sensitivity without taking anything apart.

Back