2016 Explorer Chrome Trim Rust / Tarnish | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Chrome Trim Rust / Tarnish

I've done some searches and I'm not finding what I'm looking for so I hope I'm not repeating this - but it sounds like something that would be common, so....

I have a 9 month old 2016 Explorer Limited. On the bottom of the door panels are slim chrome trim pieces, says Explorer on the front of each side. Also, the chrome piece on the back hatch has the same issue. The chrome (and my guess is it's chrome covered plastic) has what appear to be water spots but they seem to have rust or tarnish around the outside edges of the "spots". I'm used to having water spots that won't come off, even with a clay bar, both on trim, glass, and metal. Annoying but so it goes with car ownership.

I just bought this car perhaps 2 months ago and it's my 5th Ford in a row, all of them have been relatively new - but this is the first one I've noticed this "tarnish" that will not come off, regardless of how hard it's buffed - and I hate buffing hard things and not getting them off - the spots, I mean. Especially for a car not quite one year old!

I don't want to waste money buying the wrong product, nor do I wish to buy the wrong product and scratch/ruin the pieces. I did see some other threads talking about removing trim and dipping it - but honestly, should less than 1 year old chrome tarnish like this? Especially if it's plastic? I'm so happy that this car has a black-ish, mesh-like grill instead of the usual chrome I've had on other cars if it's gotten to the point of looking so poorly so fast. Suggestions for product to remove these tarnished spots?

2016 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4
2013 Ford Edge Limited
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2005 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4
2003 Ford Crown Victoria Limited

9 months old I would treat it as a warranty issue.

Back