• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer exhaust leak

Tejpalh12

Reaction score
City, State
Surrey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 xlt
Ive got a 2016 XLT with only 20000 kms on it and its been in and out of the shop 5 times in 7 weeks at ford. They first blamed the rotten egg smell on a dead rodent and spent 2 weeks disassembling my entirr hvac system!!!! Then they did all the work required in the service bulletin regarding the exhaust leak-rear lift gate seals, drains and reprogram the ac. Still smelled really bad, to the point you need to pull over for fresh air at times. Took it back and they replaced the catalytic converter. Had it for 2 days and the smell has returned. Just dropped it back off at ford. Tjey have been paying for a rental the whole time. Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear you've had so many issues with the car, but it sounds like you just need to let Ford figure it out. Assuming it's nothing your paying for as it has low mileage and is covered under warranty (I assume), and you have a loaner car (and you're OK with that for now), just wait and see what they find. On the plus side, you are getting all new parts all over the car until they figure it out.

Ive got a 2016 XLT with only 20000 kms on it and its been in and out of the shop 5 times in 7 weeks at ford. They first blamed the rotten egg smell on a dead rodent and spent 2 weeks disassembling my entirr hvac system!!!! Then they did all the work required in the service bulletin regarding the exhaust leak-rear lift gate seals, drains and reprogram the ac. Still smelled really bad, to the point you need to pull over for fresh air at times. Took it back and they replaced the catalytic converter. Had it for 2 days and the smell has returned. Just dropped it back off at ford. Tjey have been paying for a rental the whole time. Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The sulphur or rotten egg smell is usually created by the catalytic converter. I can't believe they spent 2 weeks taking the HVAC system apart. Are you using top tier gasoline? Gasoline can contain varying levels of sulphur.

Peter

If you're inclined, lookup the Lemon law in your region and see what it entails.
You could get into a new Ex because of all this....

I have a non-Ford vehicle that had repeated exhaust leaks causing failed state inspections. Aftermarket fix didnt resolve the issue. I created a fix that every vehicle with connector components, connecting points along the exhaust system, that are prone to leaks. The fix, C Flange Bracket. Included as part of standard OE muffler, cat or header/manifold component it can offer less tendency of flange failures.

C Flange Bracket fig2 extract.PNG

17499203_10210311929767520_5623871331094673236_n.jpg

Dealership took the truck back and gave me a 2018 model. The dealership is taking the loss on it becausw they know i got screwed.

I have a non-Ford vehicle that had repeated exhaust leaks causing failed state inspections. Aftermarket fix didnt resolve the issue. I created a fix that every vehicle with connector components, connecting points along the exhaust system, that are prone to leaks. The fix, C Flange Bracket. Included as part of standard OE muffler, cat or header/manifold component it can offer less tendency of flange failures.
The issue with the 5th generation is that the exhaust is finding its way into the cabin through various entry points in the vehicle. The issue isn't with the exhaust system itself.

Peter

Dealership took the truck back and gave me a 2018 model. The dealership is taking the loss on it becausw they know i got screwed.
Congratulations. Now just update your profile to match.:)

Peter

The issue with the 5th generation is that the exhaust is finding its way into the cabin through various entry points in the vehicle. The issue isn't with the exhaust system itself.

Peter
Finally found my culprit on 15 explorer with 3.5.. Had to use a scope but found that the exhaust manifolds are cracked in a few different spots on botton side of runners inbetween the cat and manifold flange where it mates with the head. Now, with this. No dealership is allowed to sell a car that has leaks between the cat and engine. Emission rule. The manifold did not make any extra noise but was silent until enough pressure was created above the cat and forced exhaust out the crack at higher rpms.

Welcome to the Forum Andrew.:wave:
I'm guessing you are probably over 60k miles? If so, then the Powertrain Warranty has expired. Was this a recent purchase?

Peter

Just purchased. 70k on her. Dealer i bought it from is fixing it or should i say replacing the manifolds. Law stating in the states that there can be zero issues with emissions system between cat and head. Expensive fix but not my pocket.

20190827_171949.jpg

Peter
What would these entry points be? I'm having an exhaust leak through the HVAC (both A/C and heater). No rotten smell, just slight exhaust smell when I am stopped at a light, or left idling with the heater on. No issue with recirculate of course. Right now I just dont use climate control, or make sure I turn recirculate on when idling😕

What would these entry points be? I'm having an exhaust leak through the HVAC (both A/C and heater). No rotten smell, just slight exhaust smell when I am stopped at a light, or left idling with the heater on. No issue with recirculate of course. Right now I just dont use climate control, or make sure I turn recirculate on when idling😕
Did you have the work done referenced in this thread?

Peter

Back