2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option?? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option??

Mine has the LEDs from the factory - I really like the output I am more than impressed with the output from both the LED headlights and fog lights. The aftermarket look brighter and more noticeable than my factory set.

Here is my new X and my other X and F150. Fusion hidden behind them (2013 titanium)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,238

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has the LEDs from the factory - I really like the output I am more than impressed with the output from both the LED headlights and fog lights. The aftermarket look brighter and more noticeable than my factory set.

Here is my new X and my other X and F150. Fusion hidden behind them (2013 titanium)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 2,111

Another photo with winter wheels on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,212

Another photo with winter wheels on

Very Nice, thanks for the pictures. That black is so cool with the new style front. I hope Ford sends you a christmas card for the support. :D

Very Nice, thanks for the pictures. That black is so cool with the new style front. I hope Ford sends you a christmas card for the support. :D

Haha they ought to! :D

I just purchased a 2016 Magnetic Explorer Sport to replace my beloved 2002 Escape, and, to be honest, I have become a little obsessed with how cool this car looks :D. New member of this forum, too.

As many people on this thread, I have been disappointed in the difference in color between the LED headlights and the yellowish fog lights. So, I have been searching fordparts.com, for a replacement fog LED bulb. As mentioned, I was only able to find the entire assembly for $576.

A simple LED bulb replacement with Ford parts does not seem to be possible. Is this correct?

It is interesting that the regular fog light assembly lists a bulb (part# 13466), but the LED fog light assembly does not. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 2 assemblies?

Has anyone replaced the entire LED Fog Light Assembly, or had to service the LED Fog Lights? How was it services, a complete replacement?

Thanks Britta-S for the LED Fog lamp suggestion. I finally got around to installing these JDM-ASTER lamps and they look great. I hated the amber look with the factory lamps. Have you had any issues with the new lamps since you have installed them? They seem to be pretty well made and really a breeze to swap out.

Here is a pic

View attachment 87751

Did you have any issue with the install of the LED's? I went to the Amazon site listed http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Ext...automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive and entered the vehicle info (2016 Ford Explorer ) and it said they don't fit.

So I bought a 2016 sport yesterday with the LED fog light option, and the color of the LED fogs seems to match the low LED low beams perfectly. If so, that seems to kill the theory that Ford was doing it for performance in the fog or they just caved to the aesthetics.

So I bought a 2016 sport yesterday with the LED fog light option, and the color of the LED fogs seems to match the low LED low beams perfectly. If so, that seems to kill the theory that Ford was doing it for performance in the fog or they just caved to the aesthetics.
LED fog lights were always shown as a 'late' availability item.

Peter

A simple LED bulb replacement with Ford parts does not seem to be possible. Is this correct?

In case this information is useful to anybody, I checked with fordparts.com and the reason for only having the LED Fog Lights available as an assembly, is that the LED's are part of an array, rather than having a socket.

In case this information is useful to anybody, I checked with fordparts.com and the reason for only having the LED Fog Lights available as an assembly, is that the LED's are part of an array, rather than having a socket.

I was thinking why Ford sells them for $150 package instead of $30. I thought maybe there was an additional charge for labor or something.

I thought my post with the screenshot of the parts list showed that, thought we talked about it too.

Either way, thanks for your desire to help the forum. :thumbsup:

I'm planning on purchasing the OEM LED fog light assemblies in the future but for the time being I added some LEDs to my halogen foglight assemblies simply to match color of the headlights.

I was thinking why Ford sells them for $150 package instead of $30. I thought maybe there was an additional charge for labor or something.

When have you ever seen a factory option being $30? lol

Great Upgrade for $30

After searching this forum I too purchased the JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W High Power H10 9145 LED Bulbs for my 2016 Explorer. Compared to the nearly $1,500 I spent on my Harley upgrading all my lighting to LED, this was an inexpensive investment. They have the exact look I wanted. The stock yellow fog lamps just looked cheap regardless of Ford's reasoning.

I spent more time trying to figure out how to open the little trap door than I did installing the bulbs. Thank God for YouTube. What would have been 10 minutes each turned into 15 minutes each as I like to put a little dab of contact grease on all my connections.

Contrary to some of the posts I read, you DO NOT have to remove the wheels - just turn it full left for the passenger side and full right for the driver's side. I found the passenger side to be easier than the driver's side for no other reason than the harness on the driver's side is just a tad too short to make the 1/4 turn needed to remove the bulb from the housing. Simple fix - disconnect the harness first.

I have before and after pics but can't seem to figure out how to upload them.

......I have before and after pics but can't seem to figure out how to upload them.
You can either help support this site and take out a $20 Elite Membership and post right from your computer or go to "New Members Introductions" and check out the 'Sticky' section on how to post pictures. Keep in mind that many pictures posted here using 3rd party programs disappear after a while since they are not stored on our servers. Good luck.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Peter

Bringing up an old thread, but has anyone replaced the whole fog assembly with the factory led? Any wiring changes or straight plug n play? My 2016 sport had the halogens and I'm running a led replacement bulb in it now, but I'm a fan of factory. I was hoping morimoto would release a fog light for the new explorers like they did the f1, but no word yet.

My 2017 Explorer Sport has yellow halogen fog lamps. It does look weird because it's so yellow, though I would only use them in actual fog conditions. And like others said, it makes sense that brighter lights would reflect back and be ineffective. Purchased a Canadian spec, nowhere are fog lamps listed as LED. Also it says in the standard features that I get LED tailights, LED signature headlights and low beams, but no mention of high beams. I used the high beams and it was bright white and "felt" LED-like, but I don't know for sure. I'll pay more attention.

EDIT: Foglights are actually LED. I was wrong.

My 2017 Explorer Sport has yellow halogen fog lamps. It does look weird because it's so yellow, though I would only use them in actual fog conditions. And like others said, it makes sense that brighter lights would reflect back and be ineffective. Purchased a Canadian spec, nowhere are fog lamps listed as LED. Also it says in the standard features that I get LED tailights, LED signature headlights and low beams, but no mention of high beams. I used the high beams and it was bright white and "felt" LED-like, but I don't know for sure. I'll pay more attention.

There's definitely and led fog option. Saw a platinum the other day with them and was slightly envious. Just wondering if then halogen wiring is compatible with the led assemblies. I would say most likely not as all the ford leds use a different connector

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The LED fog light option is not listed on the website, but should have come up when the salesperson was building your EX on their computer.
As stated by others, it was a $150 option.

Back