2016 Explorer LED Signature Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer LED Signature Lights

golfafire

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2016 Explorer XLT that has "brow" lights above the headlights that come on at night. When you switch all lights to the off position these lights remain on. I am trying to figure out how I can make ALL lights shut off while vehicle is running.
There is no option in the driver info center to turn these off. Just option to turn daytime running lights. There has to be a way where all lights can be shut off.

Any help please pass along.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2016 Explorer XLT that has "brow" lights above the headlights that come on at night. When you switch all lights to the off position these lights remain on. I am trying to figure out how I can make ALL lights shut off while vehicle is running.
There is no option in the driver info center to turn these off. Just option to turn daytime running lights. There has to be a way where all lights can be shut off.

Those brow lights are DRLs. They are supposed to be on all the time. Many cars I know don't allow you to turn off DRLs. I know Toyota allows for the DRLs to be turned off. I'm not sure if Ford has a setting for DRL off on the control knob.

People think those DRLs, especially what you call "brow" lights look really cool. Personally, I'm with you and would not want them on all the time. Of course my 2014 doesn't have such a thing.

I think you can thank Canada for DRLs, they made them law and then a lot of manufacturers in the States adopted them. Many years ago a company I worked for did a 5 year study with our fleet to see if daytime running lights decreased accidents. Verdict...NO! We did away with them after that study.

I bet there is a setting that activates the DRLs. But getting Ford to reset them may be a feat in itself. Good luck, and if you find a way to do it, please post it.

You can switch the DRL's off in the information display under the left controls on the steering wheel.

You can switch the DRL's off in the information display under the left controls on the steering wheel.

These are not daytime running lights. Those are seperate and can be turned off in the driver control center on the dash. These only come on at night and are above the headlights. They do not activate during the day.

These are not daytime running lights. Those are seperate and can be turned off in the driver control center on the dash. These only come on at night and are above the headlights. They do not activate during the day.

I understand what light he meant - and mine are always active during the day.

If you really dislike them, then consider removing the headlamp and disconnecting the particular connector. If that is too static, then you could consider adding a relay to only switch them on when the LED low beams are on. Unless the low beams are remotely PWM, then it gets complicated.

Someone let me know if they try any of this, I am interested and willing to experiment.

I understand what light he meant - and mine are always active during the day.

Mine are active during the day, on the menu you can disable the DRL if you like, i've tried it and prefer to run the DRL.

Mine are active during the day, on the menu you can disable the DRL if you like, i've tried it and prefer to run the DRL.

These are not the daytime running lights. Theses are brow lights above the daytime running lights. If you select no lights on the selector dial at night these warming type brow lights remain on. Trying to go darked out at night as if you were at a drive in movie or have a reason to not want to show any lights.

These are not the daytime running lights. Theses are brow lights above the daytime running lights. If you select no lights on the selector dial at night these warming type brow lights remain on. Trying to go darked out at night as if you were at a drive in movie or have a reason to not want to show any lights.

I am pretty sure the brow lights are DRLs. Hence why they are always on. Unless if you can disable it in the instrument cluster.

I can disable the DTR lights. These are the normal headlights at a lower power level. I can totally turn those off by a option on the dash control center. These slim brow lights still remain on.

I have the exact opposite problem as the original poster.

1) I had the LED eyebrow only lights during the day when I first purchased the 2016 Limited.

2) I turned on the left cluster option for "daytime lights" for some time. This turned on the LED headlights along with the LED eyebrow lights.

3) When I turned off that option, both the daytime LED headlights AND eyebrow lights turned off.

4) Now I can't get the LED eyebrow lights only to appear again.

Very confused... Is there some control in the center dash controls for this? I can't recall changing any setting other than the left instrument cluster light control as described above.

Funny, this was one reason I ordered my 2015 instead of getting the 2016. I can't stand those bright LED strips being on ALL THE TIME. I think you can't turn them off ever because the manufacturer typically sets it that way.

I can tell you that I bought a new 2000 VW Jetta back in the day and I was able to turn it off by pulling the headlight knob put and simply putting a piece of electrical tape to block the metal connection. Might be a similar way somewhere in the 2016 Explorer.

Anyone figured out how to disable these brow lights at night? If I want to totally dark my vehicle out I cant. Such as going to a drive in theater, where all the lights are required to be off. Sitting in a parking lot etc...

Anyone figured out how to disable these brow lights at night? If I want to totally dark my vehicle out I cant. Such as going to a drive in theater, where all the lights are required to be off. Sitting in a parking lot etc...
Check out the following thread and in particular post 12. It would also be helpful if you added the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc) of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Check out the following thread and in particular post 12. It would also be helpful if you added the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc) of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Peter which thread are you speaking of?

Back