2016 Explorer Moonroof | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Moonroof

km9376

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Does anyone know if the dual panel moonroof comes with the sunscreen, or is the sunscreen an additional option? I cannot find anything on the FORD page when building a vehicle that lists the sunscreen as being optional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sunscreen is part of the dual panel moonroof. It's not a separate option.

Both have their own retractable sun screen and on another note the 2nd panel cannot be opened and closed on its own; without retracting the first panel.

Both have their own retractable sun screen and on another note the 2nd panel cannot be opened and closed on its own; without retracting the first panel.

I have the dual panel, Its actually one screen for both on mine. The screen covers both panels. That is why the first can be opened and closed on its own. however to open the second one, the first must be open.

Just to add, the tilt on the small glass panel above the drivers head doesn't rise much at all for me. I'd have to take a closer look, but I think there was an accordion type rubber seal at the most rear of this same panel. Even though the glass tilts up as any unit should, there isn't much of an opening with that seal there. Do others see the same on their 16?

^^ regarding TILT, yes it doesn't seem like a lot but the main opening of the tilt is the rear, the sides have the rubber for noise and keeping the moving parts more "clean"

^^ regarding TILT, yes it doesn't seem like a lot but the main opening of the tilt is the rear, the sides have the rubber for noise and keeping the moving parts more "clean"

Oh ok, that's fine then. Thanks.

Just to add, the tilt on the small glass panel above the drivers head doesn't rise much at all for me. I'd have to take a closer look, but I think there was an accordion type rubber seal at the most rear of this same panel. Even though the glass tilts up as any unit should, there isn't much of an opening with that seal there. Do others see the same on their 16?

The tilt does not rise much, but the point is to let air in, and if you move your hands up, down and around while driving, you will note is it calculating a fair amount of air. It's also pretty quiet when titled up, as opposed to cracking a window. So the interior stays pretty quiet. Good feature. The tilt on my Saab moonroof makes much more wind noise.

Thanks for the replies. I just purchased a 2016 Explorer Sport with the moonroof, but when I had tried the sunscreen button, nothing happened, and I did not see it, so assumed it was not there. I went and sat in the backseat and used a flashlight and looked back into the channel and I can see the sunscreen is there.
Will test again after work and just see if it was operator error when trying to close the screen the first time.

Thanks again for all the information and replies

u have to push the button up to open and then pull the button down to close.

The tilt does not rise much, but the point is to let air in
Is the point to let air in, or let air escape.
I'm not sure about the Explorer, since I just got mine, but past experience with other vehicles with tilting sunroofs is that air escapes from the cabin via a tilted sunroof.
Now, more replacement air may enter through the ventilation system with the sunroof tilted...

Mark

Is the point to let air in, or let air escape.
I'm not sure about the Explorer, since I just got mine, but past experience with other vehicles with tilting sunroofs is that air escapes from the cabin via a tilted sunroof.
Now, more replacement air may enter through the ventilation system with the sunroof tilted...

Mark

The air being let in/out by the moonroof is not needed for the ventilation system. Has its own intakes that suffice.

Chicken and egg. Letting hot air out, cooler air in. Which comes first? I think it lets more air in than out and helps with air circulation where you generally want cooler air, unless a smoker wants to let air out. My point was when you drive you can feel the air blowing in, and it is still pretty quiet compared to other moonroofs I have had. Serves the same purpose as cracking a window. Just less noisy.

The air being let in/out by the moonroof is not needed for the ventilation system. Has its own intakes that suffice.

Chicken and egg. Letting hot air out, cooler air in. Which comes first? I think it lets more air in than out and helps with air circulation where you generally want cooler air, unless a smoker wants to let air out. My point was when you drive you can feel the air blowing in, and it is still pretty quiet compared to other moonroofs I have had. Serves the same purpose as cracking a window. Just less noisy.
Obviously the chicken came first. Without a chicken you wouldn't have the egg or a chicken to hatch it.:D

Peter

Thanks for the replies. I just purchased a 2016 Explorer Sport with the moonroof, but when I had tried the sunscreen button, nothing happened, and I did not see it, so assumed it was not there. I went and sat in the backseat and used a flashlight and looked back into the channel and I can see the sunscreen is there.
Will test again after work and just see if it was operator error when trying to close the screen the first time.

Thanks again for all the information and replies

The glass must be closed before the screen will move at all. So once closed, try the screen and it should start moving forward.

I have the dual panel, Its actually one screen for both on mine. The screen covers both panels. That is why the first can be opened and closed on its own. however to open the second one, the first must be open.

You're probably correct, as I thought they were two separate screens due to a slight delay (stops, motor goes quiet) from one window to the next when opening or closing.

Back