2016 Explorer, no tow package HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer, no tow package HELP!!

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here and has been my last resort for getting help.

I have a 2016 Explorer XLT that I bought new. It's out of warranty now (110,000 KMs). I bought it without the tow package because, at the time, I didn't need one. Fast forward to today, I'm regretting that decision. I recently purchased an Ultralite camper trailer which has an dry weight of 3500lbs. I've been assured by my local dealer that my explorer will suffice for towing this. I went ahead and installed a class three hitch and a 7 pin wiring harness for a break controller. I will also be putting in an oil cooler prior to my trip at the end of the month.

I was towing my trailer home from the dealer the other day and noticed on the highway that it was chugging along and having difficulty selecting gears at highway speeds. Everyone I mentioned this to simply said "activate tow mode" or disable overdrive. Turns out, I have neither of these options available to me. I can understand not having a tow mode button (because i didn't get the tow package), but i found it strange that I don't have an o/d off button anywhere in my vehicle.

So my question is, am I F&$#D for my summer trip later this month (it's a fair distance over flat terrain)? Is there an aftermarket option for disabling overdrive? Can I paddle shift down at highway speeds to balance things out? Any help would be great! ~B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, the tow rating of your explorer without the factory tow package is 2000lbs.....with that said your Ex may tow this trailer fine, but along with the tow package comes a altered gear ratio in the transmission. Have you tried using manual and avoiding 6th gear which I believe is equivalent to over drive?

Also, just to let you know that if you search the forums for information on towing, I believe you will find a wealth of knowledge from people that are so more knowledgeable than I am on the subject.

Do a search on here for "Tow Haul" You can install the tow haul switch in the dash which will do the same as a Explorer with that feature. It won't change the transmission or anything else or the factory tow rating but it will help.

What is the actual weight of your trailer as you will tow it (not dry weight)? If you add water/propane/other stuff, you can easily be at 4K+.

I think you can install the tow button and get the functionality in the XLT, but if you have paddles, you can manually keep it out of OD/6th gear as needed.

Probably wouldn't hurt to make sure the coolant, PTU fluid, and rear axle fluid is serviced because you're going to be working the driveline with that amount of weight.

Party line is pretty much no bueno, but good luck.

Also in addition to the oil cooler you plan to install, be sure you have a good sized transmission cooler. That and keeping it out of OD will be a big help.

Moved to Tow Rig Forum

Yeah, you don't have a OD-off button, because you have paddle shifters. That is your OD lockout.
I do not advise this, as I agree you are probably over 4,000 lbs loaded to camp, and likely over the frontal area limit (?).

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here and has been my last resort for getting help.

I have a 2016 Explorer XLT that I bought new. It's out of warranty now (110,000 KMs). I bought it without the tow package because, at the time, I didn't need one. Fast forward to today, I'm regretting that decision. I recently purchased an Ultralite camper trailer which has an dry weight of 3500lbs. I've been assured by my local dealer that my explorer will suffice for towing this. I went ahead and installed a class three hitch and a 7 pin wiring harness for a break controller. I will also be putting in an oil cooler prior to my trip at the end of the month.

I was towing my trailer home from the dealer the other day and noticed on the highway that it was chugging along and having difficulty selecting gears at highway speeds. Everyone I mentioned this to simply said "activate tow mode" or disable overdrive. Turns out, I have neither of these options available to me. I can understand not having a tow mode button (because i didn't get the tow package), but i found it strange that I don't have an o/d off button anywhere in my vehicle.

So my question is, am I F&$#D for my summer trip later this month (it's a fair distance over flat terrain)? Is there an aftermarket option for disabling overdrive? Can I paddle shift down at highway speeds to balance things out? Any help would be great! ~B

Hi,

I just joined this forum and noticed that you had the same problem as me. I have a 2017 xlt 3.5 with no factory tow package. I have a travel trailer with a dry weight of 3500lbs. I installed these parts on the explorer to reach the 5000lbs towing capacity.

1-Motorcraft SW6839 Instrument Voltage Regulator

2-118272 Tekonsha T-1 T-Connector - 7 Wire

3- 3035-P Tekonsha Brake Control Wiring Adapter with 2 Plugs

4-
5504 Draw-Tite Act IV Electric Trailer Brake Controller - Time Based

5- Universal 4 & 6 Pass Dual Circuit Tube & Fin Cooler

Derale
Model

6- ScanGuage 2 I use this to monitor trans, water and engine temp while towing

The scanguage II is a good idea. I Have one in my Explorer and plan to put one in my Expedition.

Hi,

I just joined this forum and noticed that you had the same problem as me. I have a 2017 xlt 3.5 with no factory tow package. I have a travel trailer with a dry weight of 3500lbs. I installed these parts on the explorer to reach the 5000lbs towing capacity.

1-Motorcraft SW6839 Instrument Voltage Regulator

2-118272 Tekonsha T-1 T-Connector - 7 Wire

3- 3035-P Tekonsha Brake Control Wiring Adapter with 2 Plugs

4-
5504 Draw-Tite Act IV Electric Trailer Brake Controller - Time Based

5- Universal 4 & 6 Pass Dual Circuit Tube & Fin Cooler

Derale
Model

6- ScanGuage 2 I use this to monitor trans, water and engine temp while towing
Your vehicle is only rated to 2k, you do not have the correct transmission to be towing 5k.

What he said...don't do it Davey!

Back