mbushnell

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi guys,
I'm off to a bad start with my 2016 Explorer Sport.
The night I picked it up, (President's Day last month), I hit the driver's side mirror on the garage door frame. I replaced the mirror myself this past Sunday.
I had a flat on the left rear tire (picked up a nail) the week after I picked it up. AAA came out & put the spare on (it was raining out & I've got a fractured left radius bone, so my lifting is limited). The next day I took it up to the dealership & they took care of the tire, no charge.
Both of these are not the fault of the vehicle, but: My Explorer is currently sitting @ the dealer, waiting on parts. I've got a total of 787 miles on it.
3 times in the last week, it would start & be running fine on the highway, but when I slowed down onto local roads, a wrench symbol would pop up on the left driver's information screen. Also, it would be running rough. I would shut it down when I got to my destination. I go to leave & start it up & everything would be fine, no wrench symbol & running smoothly. The last time this happened, I also got the check engine light. The first two times, I did not get the check engine light.
This morning, I went to the dealer & they said that there was a Service Bulletin out & they reflashed the Engine Control Module per the Service Bulletin, everything was "good to go".
On the way home from the dealership, (including a stretch of Highway), the wrench symbol & rough running returns when I hit traffic (no check engine light).
I turn around & headed back to the dealer. I left the Explorer running, as I was afraid that if I shut it down, the wrench would disappear on restart.
This time, they called Ford Tech Support & they suggested replacing the Electronic Throttle Body. Of course, the dealer does not have one in stock, so they expect to get it & have my Explorer ready sometime tomorrow.
Anyone else have an issue like this (wrench symbol @ lower speeds following highway driving)?

Thanks
Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys,
I'm off to a bad start with my 2016 Explorer Sport.
The night I picked it up, (President's Day last month), I hit the driver's side mirror on the garage door frame. I replaced the mirror myself this past Sunday.
I had a flat on the left rear tire (picked up a nail) the week after I picked it up. AAA came out & put the spare on (it was raining out & I've got a fractured left radius bone, so my lifting is limited). The next day I took it up to the dealership & they took care of the tire, no charge.
Both of these are not the fault of the vehicle, but: My Explorer is currently sitting @ the dealer, waiting on parts. I've got a total of 787 miles on it.
3 times in the last week, it would start & be running fine on the highway, but when I slowed down onto local roads, a wrench symbol would pop up on the left driver's information screen. Also, it would be running rough. I would shut it down when I got to my destination. I go to leave & start it up & everything would be fine, no wrench symbol & running smoothly. The last time this happened, I also got the check engine light. The first two times, I did not get the check engine light.
This morning, I went to the dealer & they said that there was a Service Bulletin out & they reflashed the Engine Control Module per the Service Bulletin, everything was "good to go".
On the way home from the dealership, (including a stretch of Highway), the wrench symbol & rough running returns when I hit traffic (no check engine light).
I turn around & headed back to the dealer. I left the Explorer running, as I was afraid that if I shut it down, the wrench would disappear on restart.
This time, they called Ford Tech Support & they suggested replacing the Electronic Throttle Body. Of course, the dealer does not have one in stock, so they expect to get it & have my Explorer ready sometime tomorrow.
Anyone else have an issue like this (wrench symbol @ lower speeds following highway driving)?

Thanks
Mark
Sorry to hear about your issues Mark. I haven't experienced this but there have been posts on rough idling/running motors and quite a few throttle bodies have been replaced but none on a 2016 that I'm aware of.

Peter

No issues with the Platinum I own. I have a friend with a Sport and he said he had similar issues and the problem went away after they re-flashed the ECM...

My '16 XLT with the NA 3.5 hasn't had any issues thus far, I bought during the President's Day week as well and have about 1,500 miles so far.

Best of luck to you.

6,000 miles and it has been the best running Ford i have owned.

Thanks guys.
Just got a call that my Explorer is ready.

The Service Advisor said that they drove it & everything is good. We'll see.

Their shuttle driver is coming down to pick me up. I've been using this dealership for the past 11 years. This is the first time that their shuttle is picking me up (it takes a good 25 - 30 minutes each way).

Mark

I hope they got everything fixed for you. So far so good with mine. Four plus months of ownership and no issues.

Well, less than 1 week after the dealer replaced the Electronic Throttle Body, the problem has returned.
This time, it happened after having to accelerate fairly hard in order to merge into traffic while coming out of a store's parking lot (US 22 in Union, NJ area). Rough running with both the Service Engine & Wrench symbols in view.
Went back to the dealer & left it there. Got a call a couple of hours later, saying that they will need it several days to dive into it.
Due to my work schedule, I won't be able to pick it up before Monday at this point anyways.

Mark

Well, less than 1 week after the dealer replaced the Electronic Throttle Body, the problem has returned.
This time, it happened after having to accelerate fairly hard in order to merge into traffic while coming out of a store's parking lot (US 22 in Union, NJ area). Rough running with both the Service Engine & Wrench symbols in view.
Went back to the dealer & left it there. Got a call a couple of hours later, saying that they will need it several days to dive into it.
Due to my work schedule, I won't be able to pick it up before Monday at this point anyways.

Mark

Did you get a loaner this time?

Bummer. I hope it gets sorted out for good this time. We are coming up on 6000 miles on our Platinum and it has been great!

Got a voicemail last night that my Explorer is ready.
However I won't be able to pick it up until Monday due to my work schedule.
Won't know what the found until I pick it up.
Mark

Well, picked it up on Monday & so far my Explorer has been behaving itself.
They did a smoke test of the induction system & found loose ducts, which they tightened.
It hope it stays this way. On Sunday I'm supposed to be leaving for my parent's place in FL, then on the way back, attending my Godson's graduation from Marine Corps Boot Camp @ Parris Island, SC.
Mark

Best of luck, Mark. Sounds like they got quite a bit ironed out on it for you.

Enjoy your drive, let us know how it goes!

Well, they did a "smoke test" of the induction system & found loose clamps / hoses on the intake manifold.
They tightened them up & everything appears to be fixed.
This past Monday, I got back from taking the Explorer on a 2,800 mile road trip.
Went down to see my parents in FL & on the way back, stopped to see my godson's completion of USMC Boot Camp @ Parris Island, SC. Also took a side trip on the way back to take a look around the Winchester, VA area as a possible retirement location.

er%20on%20Daytona%20Beach%202.%20small_zpsx5s7hwuq.jpg

Here's my Explorer sitting on Daytona Beach, FL last Thursday.

Mark

Just found this post and my 2016 XLT has just been dropped off for this exact issue. My problem is that I was just told that they cannot even get the part until May 30th but only offered up a loaner for 2 days. I wanted to take the car back to the dealer I purchased it from but Ford roadside assistance only tows to nearest dealer. I think this is pretty crappy as the car only has 10K miles. To add to it my wife is due with kiddo #3 any time now and we are down a vehicle.

Back