2016 Explorer power door lock issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer power door lock issues

Michael Greer

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Hello!

A couple of months ago the front passenger side power door lock started acting up. When I press the door lock button ( the all lock or the passenger door lock button) the lock button won’t move. It wiggle sometimes but then nothing. I was thinking it was the actuator but now the rear drivers side door lock is doing the same thing. Could it be an electrical issue? A fuse? I thought it odd that both doors would have an actuator issue at the same time but then again, what do I know!! Has anyone else had this issue? Looking for recommendations before I go to the dealer. I have a 2016 explorer limited. Thanks in advance!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
Are you referring to the manual door lock button on the door? Does the 'unlock' button work. Does the black 'lock' button on the door handle work? Can you lock the doors with the Securicode keyless door pad? I don't see any fuse for the 'lock' function but there is a "Central Lock Relay".

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
Are you referring to the manual door lock button on the door? Does the 'unlock' button work. Does the black 'lock' button on the door handle work? Can you lock the doors with the Securicode keyless door pad? I don't see any fuse for the 'lock' function but there is a "Central Lock Relay".

Peter
No matter which lock button I use on the doors or the fob, I get the same result. The front passenger door and the rear drivers side passenger door do the same thing. They won’t lock or unlock based on the current position. Thoughts?

Do you have anything plugged into the USB ports or possible a 12V powerpoint? I know such things have had an effect on the remote start feature but I doubt that would cause your issue. Just throwing this out there, but have you checked the settings for the lock/unlock feature. A few years ago I had a setting for the rearview camera change. Not really sure what else to suggest.

Peter

I had the EXACT same issue on our 2017 Sport model. The driver side rear passenger and the front passenger doors would not unlock or lock with the remote. I had installed a new battery and thought F$$^%$ did I screw something up? We waited until we had chance to bring it in for the recall, about 2 months. Two days before we take it to the dealer, they both started working perfectly. The dealer checked it out under warranty and could not find anything wrong. I have no idea what happened and why they started working again?

Do you have anything plugged into the USB ports or possible a 12V powerpoint? I know such things have had an effect on the remote start feature but I doubt that would cause your issue. Just throwing this out there, but have you checked the settings for the lock/unlock feature. A few years ago I had a setting for the rearview camera change. Not really sure what else to suggest.

Peter
I do have an iPod plugged into the usb. I will unplug it and see if that has any impact. Thanks

My door lock issues started after a new key Fob was programmed and a new engine battery was installed. Rear driver and front passenger locks didn't work for 2 months, and of course a few days before a dealer visit they both healed themselves. So far so good. I ran a scanner and got nothing. Ah, you gotta love electrical issues on new cars...

I had the touch pad on the driver's door of my 2014 malfunction. Wouldn't lock. Passenger side okay. Went inside and made an appointment to have it checked out and then went back out and it was working again. Never had it happen again.

Peter

We have 2016 limited and ours is doing the same thing! the passenger side back door will occasionally not open, but it’s random. Did anyone find a reason or solution?

We have 2016 limited and ours is doing the same thing! the passenger side back door will occasionally not open, but it’s random. Did anyone find a reason or solution?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Does this happen when using the keyfob or when you put the vehicle in Park and open the driver's door or both? I can't recall if the rear doors have their own unlock button but if they do, try using it several times in a row to see if always works or not.

Peter

Back