2016 Explorer Sport audio amp question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Sport audio amp question.

CD_Donaldson

Reaction score
City, State
Waynesville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
I've been looking but can't find the particular answer I'm looking for. I have a 2016 Explorer Sport with the Sony system and the bass is just lacking. Is the amp something that can just be directly replaced with a better aftermarket one? As in, can I simply unplug everything from the Sony amp and remove the Sony amp, and put a better amp directly in its place and plug everything right back in? (Obviously the amp's physical dimensions matter but aside from that)

You can remove the amp and wire in a new one, but there are a few obstacles. The first is that the factory amp input is a fixed line level. Volume is controlled by canbus messages. You can bypass this by changing some settings with FORSCAN to change the factory output to a high voltage line level with variable volume control. This is one of the better "how to" threads Variable Line Level Preamp Outputs From ACM (Factory Radio) For Amplifier Upgrades Most people take the original head unit signal wires and solder on RCA connectors, and then just splice all the amp outputs into the stock speaker wires. The only other challenge (covered in that thread above) is that the available "remote turn on" signals are mostly lower voltage, so you'd need to use a lower voltage (5v probably) relay to trigger the remote turn on as a lot of amps won't turn on if the voltage is too low.

Back