2016 Explorer Sport Jerking/Stall Cabin oil smell | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Sport Jerking/Stall Cabin oil smell

GoLoadGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys/girls..Newbie here with an ongoing issues related to my 16' Explorer sport...Over the past year, we've experienced some hesitation and jerking while starting from a dead stop and accelrating. Just last month my wife was heading home from her appointment and she was cruising on the interstate..suddently the car started jerking and it finanlly died(Dash showed "Power Accessory" nothing else. She was running the heat and she smelled a foul odor (Smells like burnt transmission fluid/Maybe oil). We took her to the dealership and they did two work orders for unrelated issues and was unable to replicate the issue we had. The cabin still has the foul odor after 10mins of driving and once we park it smells terrible on the outside..I've tried two seperate dealerships and both have been unable to solve this issue..One guy stated it could be oil dripping onto the AWD system/Burning off into the cabin but no leaks have been found. The other service person stated it could be something to do with drip pan and oil burning off in the manifold..Nothing found when they looked.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so...Was a solution found? I'm at the point where we want to trade out for a new expedition but the engine is pretty much the same in those...What to do?

So just to clarify, the Explorer is running fine now and the only issue is the smell. Is that right? It can take quite a while to get rid of an interior smell like that. Does it seem to be diminishing in strength or staying the same? One of the issues when the 2016 came out was the throttle body which cold account for the hesitation and jerking.

Peter

It’s running fine now but occasionally the car does the stutter and jerk before catching gear and going.

On the smell..it comes and goes. The dealership people noticed it but had no answers and people in parking lots, notice it as well. No codes or feedback..it’s baffling. For instance, last night I ran out to the store and no smell at first. 10mins in my trip the smell kicks in and the car smells like burnt oil.

Back