2016 Explorer Sport PCV valve?

johnnnyo

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi all.
Hope everyone had a great winter. I started to do some work on my "16 Explorer 3.5 EcoBoost and noticed some oil sweat on what I believe is the PCV valve (see picture). Can anyone tell me what would cause this and what I can do to rectify the situation or should I just bring it in to the dealer. I'd rather just fix it myself if it's nothing to big. Thanks in advance.

20180327_153715.jpg

20180327_153742.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is not the PCV. PCV is located on valve cover nearest the firewall passenger side. The fitting on the picture is a vent tube. As to the oil sweat as you labelled it is hard to tell from the picture. Remove the engine cover and have a look see.

Thx xlt03. This is where the oil is in this pic. I'll remove the cover and look a little closer at everything.

20180327_153742.jpg

I pulled the engine cover off today and now I see where the PCV valve is by the firewall pass side. My question now is, if this is a crank case breather/vent hose is this normal (acceptable) or do I have an issue? 40k miles on the Explorer. Thanks.

20180328_092028.jpg

No love for Johnny? Lol.

What I do when I can't figure out what a part does or is. I go to Tasca Parts and look at the images until I figure it out. This is what I found not sure it is exactly what you are pointing at but from here you can get a name and a Ford Part number. With that little bit of oil seeping after how ever many miles is on it, I would not worry about it. I would wipe it off and check it in a few days. to see if it is there again. Emission Components for 2016 Ford Explorer | TascaParts

Thanks Mlarv5. I don't think any of those are the part but I'll browse the site. Appreciate it.

What I do when I can't figure out what a part does or is. I go to Tasca Parts and look at the images until I figure it out. This is what I found not sure it is exactly what you are pointing at but from here you can get a name and a Ford Part number. With that little bit of oil seeping after how ever many miles is on it, I would not worry about it. I would wipe it off and check it in a few days. to see if it is there again. Emission Components for 2016 Ford Explorer | TascaParts
I usually use AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories or the Levittown Ford Super Store. I believe they all use the same diagrams and the only differences may be in the price.

Peter

Thank you Peter.

I pulled the engine cover off today and now I see where the PCV valve is by the firewall pass side. My question now is, if this is a crank case breather/vent hose is this normal (acceptable) or do I have an issue? 40k miles on the Explorer. Thanks.

View attachment 157124

Bumping your thread...did you find out the purpose of that hose?

Bumping your thread...did you find out the purpose of that hose?
Engine vent hose. Still no solution though as to why oil seeps through. Its very little oil so I periodically wipe it off.

Engine vent hose. Still no solution though as to why oil seeps through. Its very little oil so I periodically wipe it off.

Thanks for confirming.
Not much information on the interwebs about that particular hose.
I plan to pull that hose out, cap the vent on the engine and attached the intake side back to a catch can.
It all makes sense though, as the engine was designed to recirculate all that crap (from an emissions perspective), as I also pulled off the blowoff valve tubing and found oil residue around the intake recirculation box area.

Edit: just looked at your picture more closely and that hose tees off somewhere and has a sensor attached to it...hmm!

I still cant figure out what this hose is for. It still seeps oil at the connector and has to be cleaned periodically. Everywhere I search for a replacement it comes up as a PCV hose. Any help in identifying it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Back