2016 Explorer Technical Specs / Dimensions / Drawings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Technical Specs / Dimensions / Drawings

JCrew7384

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Platin
Hi

Is there a resrouce out there that shows the physical drawings/dimensions of parts in the Explorer? I am looking to get precise measurements of the 3rd row power fold touch panel in the cargo area...

Those details aren't in the owners manual... Need some sort of repair guide maybe?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The link brings me to a page which shows Explorer parts???

I am traveling for work and not home for a few weeks. It's something I want to try and design at nights on my laptop...

The link brings me to a page which shows Explorer parts???

I am traveling for work and not home for a few weeks. It's something I want to try and design at nights on my laptop...

You will not find a drawing for that part unless you are a Ford engineer or work for the supplier that makes that part.

I have a digital caliper. Which measurements are you looking for? I hope its just the outside panel measurements as I don't want to pop my panel out.

The width and height of the panel (as well as depth, how far the buttons stick out). Also the width of the bezel of the panel, before the buttons.

Also, is it flat? Or curved? Or at an angle? Would a rectangle box fit over it nicely if sized right?

so like said above what you're asking for is only going to be available internal to Ford production or engineering.

but I'm curious

why do you want such detail?

so like said above what you're asking for is only going to be available internal to Ford production or engineering.

but I'm curious

why do you want such detail?

I want to 3D design/print a cover that will prevent unnecessary button pressing. I have almost crushed my groceries and my dog...

I think it would be easier to rig a switch to turn the panel on/off

Something like this - my accent lighting is about this color. You can choose to match or not to most any color - back near the panel in a less vulnerable location...

1477-00.jpg

Perhaps... But my car is leased, so I can't make some of those modifications...

can you disable it in the options pages perhaps.

like you can the liftgate controls?

can you disable it in the options pages perhaps.

like you can the liftgate controls?

Not that I'm aware of. I'm surprised more people don't think this is a major oversight and issue from FMC

how are you accidentally hitting these buttons?

aren't they mostly out of the way?

how are you accidentally hitting these buttons?

aren't they mostly out of the way?
No way to turn those buttons off using existing features. I accidently triggered the seats while doing something in the back and the seats began to unfold with my cargo mat in place. It resulted in the left hand seat becoming dislodged from its track under the seat. I was able to free the mat and also was able to re-engage the part under the seat to get everything working again. I see no reason why Ford cannot simply install a power ON/OFF switch in the panel. I don't think the 2011 had the buttons recessed as much as they are now. But obviously it still isn't ideal.

Peter

I have crushed groceries and almost my dog. Additionally when they start to fold or unfold, once you stop them to get them back, they don't just move back into place. They have to fully unfold to then fold up again... It's stupid that it can't just move the last piece of the way that it came from.

might be why I never wanted that feature anyway.

uhm if you wanted to disable it - temporarily, or what have you - I'd look into unplugging the seats from whatever harness is under there for the motors.

tie back the tails so they don't rattle around - and then know I can plug them back in.

just a though.

I don't want it disabled... I am constantly am moving my seats around. I just don't want them moving if they accidentally get nudged...

If we all "scream" load enough, FORD should get into high gear to issue a solution...as this is definitely a safety issue.
With that being said, I have yet to accidently push any of those buttons and I tend to load and unload groceries on the opposite side of the cargo space (just a habit).

Usually its the stroller or something large that I'm moving around the cargo area that accidentally bumps into the buttons. Not intentional ever...

I'll post what I come up with here... Maybe it will be useful to some people

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe velcro strips - and a piece of say clear lexan or something you can get at lowes/home depot

say the switch panel is 2 inches by 3 - then you make something 2.5 by 3.5 and use some strips of self adhesive velcro to the area around the panel.

or just the top and bottom maybe

and you have a easily removable cover so you can get to the button - but it's also significantly less noticeable when covered. (being clear and against a black backgroud)

Back