2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems

Confirmed in OASIS, customer notification this week.

For 2016 Explorers, PCM reflash. For Utilities, a new throttle body.
Does yours drive any better after this? I have a close friend whose throttle body has now failed twice on his 2016 Explorer XLT that is a month older than mine, makes me a little nervous. Mine certainly doesn't drive that great for a $45,000 SUV but it hasn't failed on me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine isn't covered by the program.

My 17's throttle body has been flawless. That, and I have a 2.3L EcoBoost, the failures have been occurring on the 3.5L NAs and EBs.

Confirmed in OASIS, customer notification this week.

For 2016 Explorers, PCM reflash. For Utilities, a new throttle body.
It seems that the majority of issues are with the non Ecoboost engines and in all cases the throttle bodies are being replaced. There do not seem to be any mentions of a PCM reflash.
I'm guessing that the ones they are using to replace the faulty ones on the 2016 are now being used on the 2017's.
( Had this reply set to go an hour ago but forgot to click on 'Post Reply'.:(

Peter

Peter, the 16B32 documents specify a PCM Reflash--but not a throttle body replacement--for the civilian Explorer.

I don't necessarily agree that's the proper remedy, but I'm just reporting on what Ford has told dealers.

Checked owner site and it shows no recalls or issues for my vehicle...

I am due for a regular service next month and want to bring in documentation of the issue/repair.

Any info or direction to find some documentation?

Thanks

Checked owner site and it shows no recalls or issues for my vehicle...

I am due for a regular service next month and want to bring in documentation of the issue/repair.

Any info or direction to find some documentation?

Thanks
If it is noted in OASIS then there is no need to bring in anything. Your dealer's service department has access to that program and can look it up.

Peter

Just an update guys, I had an appointment at my dealership last Friday for an oil change and to have the ETB recall performed. The service advisor said that they have a chart that they use to determine whether or not your vehicle needs a new throttle body or just a PCM reprogram based on your VIN. Mine just needed the PCM reprogramming done, and to be honest it drives like a different vehicle. I absolutely love my Explorer now, all of my complaints about how it drove are gone. Extremely happy customer here!

Great.... just logged into the owner.ford.com and my ETB was replaced in May 2016 and look what's showing for mine.... crud!!

Capture.JPG

Just contact your dealer and see if this still applies to your vehicle.

Peter

thanks, I never would have thought to do so....
TlGCU5_ny63-6-yuF_wGqCaCLx8FaV8CbhE0IuMMLzPKGDIU3y.jpg

So i am merging into heavy traffic today at 65 mph..with my 3 toddlers in the car.. pushing it to get in front a gravel truck with a line of cars behind me .. and severely heavy rush hour traffic.. mostly tractor trailers and boom... no throttle, limp mode. Lets just say i am cooled headed person. we were merging on to a bridge very little pull out area. IF it had of been my wife driving.. i dont even want to think of what the outcome would have been. There is no lawsuit in the world that brings back your family. 100% buyers regret kicks in. one google search brings me a ton of complaints and hints of this issue. TSB or not.. no one called me.. no one told me theres a high risk of my brand new 5 mth old vehicle suddenly failing when you need it. 100% not acceptable that its a known issue and there is no recall. I will never trust this vehicle or ford again. This is a true story and it could happen to you.

Me either
I had too many issues with this ford. I have been at dealer over 12 times the first year.

So i am merging into heavy traffic today at 65 mph..with my 3 toddlers in the car.. pushing it to get in front a gravel truck with a line of cars behind me .. and severely heavy rush hour traffic.. mostly tractor trailers and boom... no throttle. Lets just say i am cooled headed person. we were merging on to a bridge very little pull out area. IF it had of been my wife driving.. i dont even want to think of what the outcome would have been. Theres no lawsuit in the world that brings back your family. 100% buyers regret kicks in. one google search brings me a ton of complaints and hints of this issue. TSB or not.. no one called me.. no one told me theres a high risk of my brand new 5 mth old vehicle suddenly failing when you need it. 100% not acceptable. I will never trust this vehicle or ford again. This is a true story and it could happen to you.

I have had multiple (06,10) escapes with very little issues.. but this suv has issues, and ford is going to have bigger issues if it continues to try to be quiet about it. The worse part is if this had of caused and accident today.. how could you ever prove its mechanical.. is there someone already out there that has died because of this... makes you wonder. When you make a mistake, you should own up to it.

The first month i had this truck it had to be completely torn apart to replace the main wiring harness.. it was improperly installed and shorted. Really makes you wonder whats going on at the plant in the QC dept. I don't want to hate this truck.. i love the look the room the drive.. but i hate the fact that i dont trust it anymore. never mind the financial consequences. Anyway End Rant.. Bottom line if you have this 2016 explorer.. get this check done asap before someone gets hurt.

...........When you make a mistake, you should own up to it.
Sorry to read about all the issues you've had. Unfortunately there are others who also have had multiple problems but for the most part I believe this is not the norm. As for "owning up to it", Ford has done that by issuing a recall on affected Explorers and installing a corrected throttle body on subsequent vehicles.

Peter

So i am merging into heavy traffic today at 65 mph..with my 3 toddlers in the car.. pushing it to get in front a gravel truck with a line of cars behind me .. and severely heavy rush hour traffic.. mostly tractor trailers and boom... no throttle, limp mode. Lets just say i am cooled headed person. we were merging on to a bridge very little pull out area. IF it had of been my wife driving.. i dont even want to think of what the outcome would have been. There is no lawsuit in the world that brings back your family. 100% buyers regret kicks in. one google search brings me a ton of complaints and hints of this issue. TSB or not.. no one called me.. no one told me theres a high risk of my brand new 5 mth old vehicle suddenly failing when you need it. 100% not acceptable that its a known issue and there is no recall. I will never trust this vehicle or ford again. This is a true story and it could happen to you.

Holy crap, way to over exagerate.

Recall if there is one.. is only good if you know about it. I didn't receive one. Nor did my dealer mention it. when i brought it today.. anyway thats where my comment stems from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i am under exaggerating the seriousness of the incident trust me, i am not an idiot. Guys look.. i am not bashing explorers.. i loved mine. I am just saying.. if you have a recall get it done before your vehicles stalls out at a very in opportune time. I would have not have bothered with it either until this happend. I was posting this to help others.. maybe warn them .. i didnt come here to get trolled by the moderators. See ya later.. so

Back