2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems

Add my XLT to the list of 2016's with the throttle body issue, this vehicle had 20,100 miles on it without issues to date. Vehicle was purchased new from Ford.

Vehicle was being driven slowly down a side street and "wrench" light popped up, engine went to idle and the accelerator quick working. Obvious the engine had gone into limp mode and the computer now had a trouble code. Engine trouble light stayed lit. I was able to get back to my place at idle as I was just a few hundred feet away. Fortunate circumstances for me, unlike others who had this quit at high speed on a freeway. I read the forum thread here and it seem obvious I had a throttle body issue, the vehicle was built in Aug of 2015 which put it on the list of vehicles that is likely to be affected by this problem. Although the vehicle should have had the 16b32 recall notice I never received one, based on the build date, perhaps because I am Canadian. That recall was also not listed on my VIN number, that didn't seem right.

After sitting off for 20 minutes that day I restarted it and it worked fine. Next day I drove it to the Ford dealer and the throttle body code was found (P2111) so they replaced the throttle body under warranty. Dealer was very easy to work with, that part went well, apparently they had seen plenty of these, had the parts on hand.

For me this wasn't a huge issue, quickly repaired. It does tick me off that I never received a notice, it could have happened anywhere just very fortunate how it happened to me, would be nice to have some prior knowledge that it might happen. When I read the 16b32 notice my vehicle exactly fit the requirements to be covered by this given the build date but nothing but silence on the matter from Ford prior to this. I expect some issues with vehicles but I also expect when a company is fully aware of a problem like this that I be informed. Leaves me questioning whether my next vehicle will be a Ford, pretty disappointed in this company. I buy a new vehicle every 3-5 yrs , this will stick with me when it comes time again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was reading customer reviews of 2016 to 2018 Explorers on Edmunds, seems to be a great source of first hand info on cars. I can feel the frustration of many owners that got screwed over by dealerships (also the 2018 Traverse seems to have issues with the 9 speed trans). Anyhwo, there was an alarming number of complaints about the throttle body motor failures on 2016 Explorers. Did they resolve this for 17 to 18? It seems like Ford changed the TB part starting in 2016.

Yes the TB was a change in 16 and only affected earlier builds and those affected (either in failure/issue on the road, like mine) or as others brought them in for service were corrected with revised TB and resolved the issue. No issues on my EX with door alignment.

Hi

I just had the throttle body fail on my 16 sport with 47k miles on it. Is the throttle body covered under the powertrain warranty? The dealer said we were out of out 3yr 36k so it would be 600 bucks but I would have figured the TB would be under the 5yr powertrain.

Hi

I just had the throttle body fail on my 16 sport with 47k miles on it. Is the throttle body covered under the powertrain warranty? The dealer said we were out of out 3yr 36k so it would be 600 bucks but I would have figured the TB would be under the 5yr powertrain.
When you talk powertrain, it is essentially the main parts attached to the block or inside the block (block, pistons, fuel injectors, coil pack, transmission etc).

Many externals are not covered.

It is also in your warranty guide..

"Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump"

I have seen that ford has had problems with the TB on the EcoBoost. I've seen alot of complaints on the f150 forums, most of them had problems with totally stalling out.

Speaking of throttle body, is there any programming involved after replacing, or just a reset at most? If it’s the later of the two I would do it myself.

I don't know what engine you have, but aftermarket throttle body's are around $100 on line.

Hi

Your thread was merged with this one found using the 'Search' feature.

Peter

Back