2016 Explorer Tow Pkg | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Tow Pkg

stevea26

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi all!! Has anyone had any luck with the Ford Tow Pkg being added? Shows avl for the 11-15 but not for the 16. Seeing as the 15 and 16 share the same platform I'm not sure why they wouldn't offer it... Thoughts? Oh FYI I don't tow much just 1,000 lbs or so from time to time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know where you're looking but, it's still available for the '16 models. :salute:

The "Tow Pkg" cannot be added after purchase. You can add the tow hitch parts but the electronics and cooling parts would be needed. If adding the Ford OEM Tow hitch, your towing class is reduced to class II. If it is added during manufacturing it is rated as a class III.

Our 2016 has the tow package. It's actually hard to tell that is does because a removable plastic piece covers the actual hitch.

Hi all!! Has anyone had any luck with the Ford Tow Pkg being added? Shows avl for the 11-15 but not for the 16. Seeing as the 15 and 16 share the same platform I'm not sure why they wouldn't offer it... Thoughts? Oh FYI I don't tow much just 1,000 lbs or so from time to time.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Your profile shows a 2016 XLT so I'm guessing you already have the vehicle and want to add the tow package. You cannot add the 'factory tow package' but members have added class III and other towing options. There is a post showing the addition of a class III hitch but you won't have the other items that come with the vehicle from the factory.
If you are talking about ordering a 2016, then yes, you can order it with the tow package. The Platinum comes with it as standard equipment.

Peter

Back