2016 Explorer Transmission troubles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Transmission troubles

mannyi

Reaction score
City, State
Central California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Base, 4wd
A couple of months ago my 2016 explorer 4wd base model went into the dealership for a throttle body replacement at 5000+ miles. After having the vehicle for a month because the throttle body was backordered, I finally got my explorer back, after having it for a month and a half and another 5000 miles later, my explorer is back at the dealership. This time for transmission problems, yesterday morning it back up fine out of my driveway, there after it wouldn't shift gears, after parking it and trying to load it on the tow truck, there was no reverse. Anyone else have any transmission problems with tranny at 10,00 miles on the vehicle? My next question is does the lemon law apply to my vehicle? I await some help with your responses. Keep my hopes up that I have made a good choice with the explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you google "california lemon law"? Every state is different.. Considering #1 and #2 don't apply, #3 is your best bet. Not sure how long dealer has had possession of your vehicle since the purchase date but you should start counting them if that is the route you go. The throttle body isn't a big deal in regards to calling your vehicle a lemon. Clearly it seems Ford had a bad batch of these but it has been fixed and has been trouble free. In regards to your tranny, you don't know exactly what is wrong yet. Only one member on here has needed their tranny replaced.. Ford builds some really good transmissions so although frustrating, I wouldn't jump the gun yet not knowing exactly what happened. IMO, your vehicle is far from a lemon at this point.

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/cars

"The “Lemon Law”: A special provision, often called the "Lemon Law," helps determine what is a reasonable number of repair attempts for problems that substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. The "Lemon Law" applies to these problems if they arise during the first 18 months after the consumer received delivery of the vehicle or within the first 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) the same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) the same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) the vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle."

Thank you for your info. I have not heard from them as far as what the problem is, but it sure seems like a tranny issue. As of today they've had the car for longer than 30 days.
Did you google "california lemon law"? Every state is different.. Considering #1 and #2 don't apply, #3 is your best bet. Not sure how long dealer has had possession of your vehicle since the purchase date but you should start counting them if that is the route you go. The throttle body isn't a big deal in regards to calling your vehicle a lemon. Clearly it seems Ford had a bad batch of these but it has been fixed and has been trouble free. In regards to your tranny, you don't know exactly what is wrong yet. Only one member on here has needed their tranny replaced.. Ford builds some really good transmissions so although frustrating, I wouldn't jump the gun yet not knowing exactly what happened. IMO, your vehicle is far from a lemon at this point.

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/cars

"The “Lemon Law”: A special provision, often called the "Lemon Law," helps determine what is a reasonable number of repair attempts for problems that substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. The "Lemon Law" applies to these problems if they arise during the first 18 months after the consumer received delivery of the vehicle or within the first 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) the same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) the same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) the vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle."

I will check the California Lemon Law. Thank you for the info. As of today the dealership has had the car for longer than 30 days.

This is mannyi once again. I finally got notified from my Ford dealership service department, that in fact my 2016 Explorer with just over 10,000 miles has a transmission problem and they are waiting on Ford to approve and send them either the parts or a new transmission.

Well, I finally will be getting my Explorer back on Tuesday or Wednesday July 6, 2016. I got a call from the service adviser on Friday July 1st telling me, the problem was a retainer clip had come loose, he also said they replaced all the gears and they are just waiting on a new torque converter. I'm a little concerned about craftmanship now. I'm seriously looking into my car being a lemon. They had my vehicle for 30 days the first time for the throttle body replacement and now for 2 weeks for the transmission problem. Who do I contact for the Lemon Law application? do I need a lawyer or the Department of Motor vehicles or Ford Motor Company. I'm at 10,000 plus miles now, it won't be long before I start approaching the 18,000 mile limit for the Lemon Law. I bought the explorer so that I could take my grand children this summer to my daughter's cabin up in Lake Tahoe but I have not been able to because the car has been at the dealership. Now I don't feel safe considering all the problems I've experienced with the Explorer.

Read the link I posted, it has all the info you need.

Read the link I posted, it has all the info you need.
Thanks blownsmoke. In my haste I didn't read the link, but I will. thank you.

I would start considering the Lemon Law on your Explorer, depending on what you put down/financed etc... and your situation.

I'd be asking ford to make up some month or so of your payments also.

It's Thursday and I have yet to hear from my Dealership. I think I will start looking into applying for the Lemon Law, since they have had my vehicle for well over 30 days.

I have a 2016 Ex Sport and I have had transmission problems as well. A retainer clip broke and grenaded the 3-5-R wave plate. My Ex only had 4k miles on it. The dealer said it would take a month to get the parts so they just replaced the transmission. There was another 2016 at the dealership that had the same problem. These transmissions were known to have problems with the 3-5-R wave plate because they made it too thin and it would shatter. The wave plate is thicker now, but clearly they have a snap ring problem. I am just glad they replaced mine rather than rebuilding it. I would recommend your request a new transmission rather than a rebuild. Good luck!

One problem with requesting a new transmission is that you will have no idea of when that transmission was built and with what materials. Where as a rebuilt one should have updated parts, hopefully.

It is a crap shoot no matter which way you go.

By replacing the transmission, it really doesn't matter when it was built. It is likely a new remanufactured unit which typically uses better materials than the factory. I would much rather have a new/rebuilt trans than one that has been repaired. I trust a company that builds nothing but transmissions versus the dealer mechanic who has maybe worked on a few. However, as you said, it is a coin toss either way but fortunately we have warranties.

My Platinum with 5800 miles is at the dealership same problem. Won't shift and no reverse. They have diagnosed that it's a transmission problem but have not got into it yet to know what is wrong. Maybe know something tomorrow. Sounds like the above posts so probably will be the same type of thing. So anxious to know the time frame of how long it will be down and what all is wrong. :(

Exactly the same problem I had. I'll bet it is the same snap ring issue.

Just beginning to wonder if this is going to be another 2016 issue in addition to the fan and throttle body problems?

Peter

Well I would love to be able to report what the problem with my Explorer's transmission but so far no info on what is wrong. My vehicle was towed Monday at noon. Tuesday afternoon went to dealer and inquired about what was going on since my vehicle was still sitting outside. Was told they were almost ready to start on it. Knew it was transmission but that was all. Wednesday call to service was working on it, it just takes time to remove and begin diagnosis. Thursday afternoon call was, he's working on it and should know something tomorrow. It just takes time to check all parts. Of course no rental etc until they find what is wrong. We are 60 miles from the dealer so it's not like I can just pop on in and check on it. Wish I could. Down to 1 car which husband takes to work 20 miles away. I'm trying to stay calm but I think this is a long time to not even have a diagnosis of what is wrong. Did others take this long to figure out what is wrong? Heck a heart transplant only takes 4 hours :confused:

Well I would love to be able to report what the problem with my Explorer's transmission but so far no info on what is wrong. My vehicle was towed Monday at noon. Tuesday afternoon went to dealer and inquired about what was going on since my vehicle was still sitting outside. Was told they were almost ready to start on it. Knew it was transmission but that was all. Wednesday call to service was working on it, it just takes time to remove and begin diagnosis. Thursday afternoon call was, he's working on it and should know something tomorrow. It just takes time to check all parts. Of course no rental etc until they find what is wrong. We are 60 miles from the dealer so it's not like I can just pop on in and check on it. Wish I could. Down to 1 car which husband takes to work 20 miles away. I'm trying to stay calm but I think this is a long time to not even have a diagnosis of what is wrong. Did others take this long to figure out what is wrong? Heck a heart transplant only takes 4 hours :confused:
I had the exact same issue. It took almost a week for the dealer to get to my car and diagnos the problem. I insisted on a rental. With only 4k miles and an obvious transmission problem, there was no way I was going to let them not provide me with a rental.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you buy an ESP? If so, you get a rental on the 2nd day covered by the esp. If not, no rental is covered to you unless the dealer or Ford is going to eat the cost (that isn't to say it isn't the right thing to do). Just putting that out there since you said "no rental till they find out what is wrong".

Don't know the backlog at your dealer but typically 2-3 days is normal before they can get to a vehicle that wasn't scheduled for service.

Tear down should take less then a day once they begin. Then it is a matter of parts being ordered.

Back