• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Wiring Diagram

Dontmindhim

Reaction score
City, State
Temple,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I’m in need of the wiring diagram for the power lift gate. I had a furry friend destroy the wiring harness that connects to rear parking sensors. I was able to splice the wires for a temp fix until I replace with a new harness. That’s happening Saturday hopefully.

As of now, I’m not getting any power to the lift gate. No motor noises. No latch release buttons work. The power lift gate option in the settings menu is grayed out. And I’m getting a liftgate ajar notice on the menu. In talking with people more knowledgeable than me, I’m thinking a ground to the power lift gate came off during the destruction. Hence the need for the diagram.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you checked the fuse? It probably isn't the problem but doesn't hurt to verify it is good.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you checked the fuse? It probably isn't the problem but doesn't hurt to verify it is good.

Peter
Fuse is good. I swapped it out with another just to make sure. I also removed the battery cable to reset any errors. Still not working.

Would this be the same as an 2018? I'm looking at my schematic and don't really see any correlation between the lift gate and the park sensors. Doesn't appear to be a common ground point. Looks like the lift gate cable is high above the door and the park sensor cable is low below the door.

Would this be the same as an 2018? I'm looking at my schematic and don't really see any correlation between the lift gate and the park sensors. Doesn't appear to be a common ground point. Looks like the lift gate cable is high above the door and the park sensor cable is low below the door.

You are correct. Replaced the wire harness this afternoon and there is no connection. Looks like I have 2 separate issues that showed up at the same time.

I’ve ordered a Bluetooth OBD reader and will see if that helps. If not, it’s off to the stealership I guess.

You are correct. Replaced the wire harness this afternoon and there is no connection. Looks like I have 2 separate issues that showed up at the same time.

I’ve ordered a Bluetooth OBD reader and will see if that helps. If not, it’s off to the stealership I guess.

I got 2 codes that won’t clear. U0230 and U0531. any ideas on where to go from here?

I don't know why they can't be cleared. Both seem to be involved with invalid data received from the rear gate module. Perhap0s if there is no connection, they will remain or come back.

Peter

Back