2016 Explorer XLT PTU *PICS* | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer XLT PTU *PICS*

There is NO WAY to drain your model's PTU fluid. In a video I've seen he mentions a sucker but may not show it. You don't have a drain hole and must suction it out the FILL hole by hand with a tube. Let me say it all again: Car should be level. Can NOT use two ramps but you could use four ramps or four patio paver bricks or a lift. I just squeeze under there on a LEVEL driveway. Take the FILL plug out with your 3/8 socket wrench, it's the only threaded plug on your ptu, you've taken a picture of it on the side of the unit. Suck out fluid with a cheap fluid transfer device like transmission fluid sucker and some tubing. Go to harbor freight for this. The 3/8 tubing is inserted into FILL hole and snaked down all the way to bottom of the case as best you can, then suck suck suck. Pump in new fluid from below with a pumper and some more tubing till it runs out the FILL hole on the side. It is now full. Replace the plug. You do NOT fill via the vent hole on top from above as one video shows on a police interceptor. Done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is NO WAY to drain your model's PTU fluid. In a video I've seen he mentions a sucker but may not show it. You don't have a drain hole and must suction it out the FILL hole by hand with a tube. Let me say it all again: Car should be level. Can NOT use two ramps but you could use four ramps or four patio paver bricks or a lift. I just squeeze under there on a LEVEL driveway. Take the FILL plug out with your 3/8 socket wrench, it's the only threaded plug on your ptu, you've taken a picture of it on the side of the unit. Suck out fluid with a cheap fluid transfer device like transmission fluid sucker and some tubing. Go to harbor freight for this. The 3/8 tubing is inserted into FILL hole and snaked down all the way to bottom of the case as best you can, then suck suck suck. Pump in new fluid from below with a pumper and some more tubing till it runs out the FILL hole on the side. It is now full. Replace the plug. You do NOT fill via the vent hole on top from above as one video shows on a police interceptor. Done.

I pulled the car up on pavers today (all 4 wheels) pulled the plug and drained 4oz out of the PTU. After that I was able to suck out 8oz with my fluid extractor... totaling a full amount of 12oz. My guess is around 4oz was still in the PTU but I could not get it out no matter how hard I tried. I refilled with 12oz, 75w-140. I’ll check it again in another 20k. Thanks for everyone’s advice and help on the topic!

1zvqrdt.jpg
Found an oil spot on the garage floor this morning, jacked the explorer up and found the passenger side PTU seal leaking.

For those without drain plugs in their PTUs, I imagine the "flush and fill" procedure is the same as for my 11 SHO. The Ford procedure is to use a suction pump to pull as much fluid out then fill and replace the plug. Rotate wheel 3x. Drain (suction) and refill. Do this 2 more times and then a final fill and plug. I've included that PDF for the 2013 PI. The PTU and general procedures should be pretty much the same. From what I've seen on the SHO, the fluid is black by about 15k but in all fairness, I am sure I had some goop in there before so the fluid would be dark from the residual "stuff".

The PTU fluid is on the to-do list next weekend on my new-to-me 16 Explorer 2.3L. We'll see how it compares to the SHO.

Attachments

• 2013 Taurus Power Transfer Unit _PTU_ Draining and Filling.pdf
    249.1 KB · Views: 184

I have just over 70k on our Explorer. Seal was replaced under warranty at 60k and fluid topped off. Checked fluid at 70k and still clean as can be. I am thinking at 80k I'll add a drain plug and change it every 20k. the fluid is cheap and not hard to add/change with a drain plug.

IMO, it is extremely easy to drain/fill through a vacuum tube using the fill hole, so no way would I risk drilling a drain hole and get metal shavings inside. You need to pump through a tube to fill anyway regardless.

The wife had a nail in the tire yesterday and had to put the small spare on. The AWD OFF light came on shortly after. This morning I found the oil stain on the garage floor, then found the PTU dripping. I have a little over 4K of powertrain. I’m going to drop it off sometime this week.

I have just over 70k on our Explorer. Seal was replaced under warranty at 60k and fluid topped off. Checked fluid at 70k and still clean as can be. I am thinking at 80k I'll add a drain plug and change it every 20k. the fluid is cheap and not hard to add/change with a drain plug.
No more issues after the new seal, that’s great. Did they mention anything about your PTU operation? All normal hopefully.

Got the explorer back today. Brand new PTU assembly/seals. No drain plug. Anyone know if the newer versions (DT4Z 7251 G) have the 17oz or 24oz capacity?

Ford tells me it’s an 18oz capacity, no drain plug in the new unit because they still only put drain plugs in the cooled versions.

Got the explorer back today. Brand new PTU assembly/seals. No drain plug. Anyone know if the newer versions (DT4Z 7251 G) have the 17oz or 24oz capacity?

Ford tells me it’s an 18oz capacity, no drain plug in the new unit because they still only put drain plugs in the cooled versions.
So then it would 18oz. What reason do you have to doubt the info you got? And where did you get it from?
Also, where are the 17 and 24oz PTUs?

All of the newer Explorers with drain plugs in the PTU have coolers now?

17 and 24 is a # I saw online. I’m not doubting what I was told, I just had new info and put it in the same post. My bad.
So then it would 18oz. What reason do you have to doubt the info you got? And where did you get it from?
Also, where are the 17 and 24oz PTUs?

All of the newer Explorers with drain plugs in the PTU have coolers now?
Yea that’s another thing Ford told me. As we know the PIU and supposedly the Sports have the cooler as well.

Back